Page 104 of 140 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Yeah, but for OpenID there are whole javascript functions hidden in there. It looks absolutely atrocious.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

JavaScript functions? Not JSON?
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Yes, actual functions. When I was doing RubyOnRails work, I had to reconfigure the development Webrick server (because that one usually doesn't allow 4 kiB of GET data) and took a look at the logs before I knew what was going on.

Very weird stuff. That was a gem to use OpenID to log into a GoogleApps-Account, by the way.

Really strange, normally the server is sending functions to the client, not the other way around. Of course it might be different if we talk about a M2M scenario here.

Well, OpenID involves Server to Server communication, so ...

Explains a lot.

Still, the javascript functions threw me off a bit

JavaScript is not the nicest language in the world, but if you want to execute a function on a remote target it is probably the best choice as its sandbox is probably the best you can get.

Sending a JavaScript function in a GET request is pretty much saying to the server: "Run that function on your VM, and send me back the result, and if any cache has seen this request already, you may give me the result instead". A POST request on the other hand wont be cached.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/cops-to...given-m/nhgTS/

There are two WTF moments here - first, what kind of idiot gives a cocktail to a toddler? Second, brandy and coke? Eww.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/20...te-to-charity/

She also contacted the principal, who she said told her to “tough it out,” according to Fox 45.

"And (he) told me that he didn't know of any child that had ever died from words. And that we needed to toughen up and deal with it, and he would deal with it how he saw appropriate, which was obviously not the response we were looking for,"
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Not seeing how that's a big deal Flixy. Students should be punished for violating the rules but being insulted about your hair is not a big deal. Toughening up was probably some great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Not seeing how that's a big deal Flixy. Students should be punished for violating the rules but being insulted about your hair is not a big deal. Toughening up was probably some great advice.
    I pity your son.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I pity your son.
    Eh? Because he's going to grow up realizing that insults aren't a big deal. The faster someone develops a tougher skin the better they will be in life. This next generation will live and breathe on the internet and you can bet they'll be insulted by far more things than a hair cut.

Hell when it comes to even bullying in school words are the least of problems. Hazing, fights, vandalism, theft and other types of activities are FAR more serious than harmless words.

Granted if you want to live in a pansy world where everyone gets a trophy, no one is accountable and everyone must be PC then I can understand your point of view...

Though I am curious, since you don't believe in deterrence, how do you propose to solve the problem of kids being mean to each other with words? Based on your post history you clearly don't think punishments will deter behavior - so what's the school supposed to do?

This country is so damned stupid about Ebola. The idiocy hurts so much.

Eh? Because he's going to grow up realizing that insults aren't a big deal. The faster someone develops a tougher skin the better they will be in life. This next generation will live and breathe on the internet and you can bet they'll be insulted by far more things than a hair cut.

Hell when it comes to even bullying in school words are the least of problems. Hazing, fights, vandalism, theft and other types of activities are FAR more serious than harmless words.

Granted if you want to live in a pansy world where everyone gets a trophy, no one is accountable and everyone must be PC then I can understand your point of view...

Though I am curious, since you don't believe in deterrence, how do you propose to solve the problem of kids being mean to each other with words? Based on your post history you clearly don't think punishments will deter behavior - so what's the school supposed to do?
    Once again, Lewk, you demonstrate your incapability to understand simple concepts regarding the efficiency of punishment and where it is appropriate. And how it even works, that is, if it works.

And if you think that "words are not a problem" then you were either lucky or a bully yourself. Or completely oblivious. Then again, given your post history, that's pretty much a given.

This country is so damned stupid about Ebola geography. The idiocy hurts so much.
    Better.

I'm not sure geography is the main issue. After all, these people can just google "Africa" and correct their misconceptions.
    Last edited by Loki; 10-23-2014 at 06:06 PM.
    Hope is the denial of reality

It's probably the same kind of people who don't grasp the concept that "Europe" isn't a country either.

Yep.

There are many other things that type of person doesn't grasp, as well. Ignorance is bliss and all.

Geography education for schoolchildren seems to be actually improving, for what it's worth.

I still don't think geography is the issue. Let's say principal who went to Zambia tells the school board that Zambia is nowhere near the countries with Ebola. They go on google and find that he's telling the truth. Problem resolved. The question is why they're unwilling to go on google or why they're ignoring the results. It seems like the issue is intentional ignorance at any cost.

The school principals and systems still have to deal with the ignorance from the community.

Of course, it would be preferable if the people in charge of education would actually educate the public.

A powerpoint slide that had a map of Africa with the relevant countries designated would do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I still don't think geography is the issue. Let's say principal who went to Zambia tells the school board that Zambia is nowhere near the countries with Ebola. They go on google and find that he's telling the truth. Problem resolved. The question is why they're unwilling to go on google or why they're ignoring the results. It seems like the issue is intentional ignorance at any cost.
    True, but it's rather sad if a school board doesn't know stuff like that.

Eh, just think about the people who end up serving on these boards.

Just in the news here in Holland, the police found a baby a few days old in a subterrenean garbage dumpster. I really don't understand what kind of a person does something like that. I mean, a subterrenean dumpster pretty much works like a dump shoot in a building you put the garbage in the lid, then close the lid so that whatever is in it drops down. It is a sheer miracle that baby survived the drop, then an even bigger miracle that somebody heard it crying so that it was saved. The person who dumped that baby sure as hell didn't want it to give any chance on surviving being abbandoned.

I am truly shocked.
    Congratulations America

Translation of the red part:
    Would you like to contact Profx. Lann Hornscheidt? Please pay attention to use adresses like "Dear Profx. Lann Hornscheidt".

Please avoid all twogendering addresses like "Mr ___", "Mrs___", "Ms___".

And just to avoid any misunderstanding, "twogendering" is not a word in German either.

So in this Dutch hospital an employee is suspended for using a deep fryer near the operation rooms, against regulations, and attempting to hide it by posting a note saying "caution, Ebola"..