Page 111 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

If it's an investment it kinda makes sense as it's a business expense then, but you'd expect your primary home to be more deductible than your second home.

Granted, I don't know the rules so I could be missing something here.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Of all the stupid shows to bring back...
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I only know that this show exists because the XBMC mediaplayer insisted on using the Full House descriptions for House M.D.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

So, I mentioned that we bought some computer-assisted measuring equipment for my Physics lessons. Now, the software included is somewhat less than optimal for pupils - it has a sort-of "everything and the kitchen sink" approach and the UI was clearly written by an engineer - which means that you can use it, but it's quite clunky at several points, with several features being actual pains in the ass.

However, I was able to find an SDK provided by the manufacturer himself, written in C# even! Hell, yeah, I can write custom-tailored apps with this!

Well. Of course that didn't pan out. First, the documentation itself consisted of 4 pages with sparse examples on how to talk to the devices using the C# API and additional 10 pages detailing on how to talk to them over USB directly, by pushing bytes around. I was somewhat loathe to approach the latter part but finally managed to make some sense out of the former. Used the included examples to build a small console application which worked.

Okay, let's plug it into an actual Windows App! Which is where I crashed and burned, because in their infinite wisdom they had included references to Windows.Forms and Windows.Drawing in their API. Which of course are not available in Windows Apps due to their being massively outdated. Not to mention that I don't quite get why you're putting UserInterface stuff into an API supposed to talk to devices without any screens! I also wasn't able to decompile the API because they obfuscated it. Thanks guys.

I contacted their developer who told me that he wouldn't pull out the calls I mentioned. Thanks again. I then asked him 4 questions about the USB protocol of which he only answered the last one - by quoting an excerpt from the source code. Which was less than useful because he used freakin' enums. He didn't include the actual values for those enums, naturally.

So, currently I'm sitting here, using a USB protocol analyzer to capture the raw USB packets to see what gets actually passed around when measuring something. Combined with the (incomplete, of course!) documentation about the USB serial data, I should be able to create at least something. I fear there will be some magic numbers and probably a lot of cargo cult, but I will succeed!

Sorry to say, but "cognitive dissonance" has become the new normal. There are millions of highly educated people doing the 'right' things, but not getting the 'right' satisfaction.

There's an ad from Quicken loans that says there's no bravery without fear.....so be brave and get a home loan from us, and you'll be like the Wright Bothers or Edison or Ford.
    Last edited by GGT; 04-07-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Today I once again tried to discover why our semi-public WLAN in school isn't working. DNS requests seem to work now, as do pings. But when I try to actually access a website I run into request timeouts or similar stuff.

So I did a traceroute to get a glimpse of the servers involved. And found this:

Code:
    1    5 ms    3 ms    4 ms    172.17.0.7
    2    8 ms    3 ms    4 ms    192.168.200.3
    3    9 ms    4 ms    4 ms    10.32.77.1
    4    9 ms    4 ms    4 ms    10.32.2.13
    5    9 ms    5 ms    *       10.16.1.2
    6    *       *       *       Timeout
    7   10 ms    6 ms    6 ms    88.246.246.25  //first public address
    This, my friends, is not one, it's not two, no, it's THREE nested NATs. Plus a bit of bouncing around on internal servers (unless 4, 5 and possibly 6 are also routers...)

I'm a bit mystified on whoever came up with this insane network topology. Probably someone who never heard of stuff like VLAN before.

This is the same guys, by the way, who tried a MITM attack by having the router intercept HTTPS handshakes and inserting his own certificate, in order to be able to analyze encrypted traffic (probably intended to filter naughty stuff). I was not amused.

Two arson fires this week in my town. First two days ago a large fire at a Skip company off a main road in town, fire brigade have said they're treating it as arson. Last night the iconic former Mr Smiths nightclub in the town centre (most famous as being host of Pete Waterman's TV show in the 80s) was destroyed by fire.

Luckily nobody got hurt but the building was abandoned prior to being redeveloped and could have had a homeless person sheltering in it killed. Its also got a furniture store next door and residential houses opposite (which had to be evacuated) so if the inferno fire had spread it could have been much worse.

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/..._AT_MR_SMITHS/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-32305364
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Whoa.

Well, 7 youths arrested already.

Wonder how they traced them. Arrested at the scene perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Role models teaching youths about right and wrong

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...oo-bright.html
    Last edited by Aimless; 04-17-2015 at 11:28 PM.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The one benefit of wars is that the people who usually go into school administration end up becoming commissars instead.
    Hope is the denial of reality

That link is broken.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Remove the :

According to less "OMG SCHOOL OVERREACH!" articles, the hair has been getting brighter and brighter over the years, some pictures show it being nearly orange. The fact that she claims its been the same color for 3 years admits that it is dyed, and the quote about teachers making a fuss this year suggests that she is pushing the limits on whats "natural"; possible a shift in dying technique, brand, or color.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Even if all of that is true, there are more sensitive ways for dealing with the situation.

Perhaps, but we are only getting one side of the story. Even then she admits the teachers have been on her this year about it, so I'm guessing the sensitive ways were tried and ignored.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I'm a teacher and I think this kind of stuff is stupid. I don't care what my pupils look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I'm a teacher and I think this kind of stuff is stupid. I don't care what my pupils look like.
    So you don't have a school uniform? Or any form of policies on appearance?

There is a line drawn somewhere. It sounds like she's gone from natural auburn/ginger to a very bright one pushing the boundaries of what is a natural colour. Ginger is natural, dyed is not. However we get that time all the time with blondes (and non-blondes) going peroxide. Blonde is natural, peroxide is not. Why should one extreme of ginger be banned but extremes of blonde are not? It seems hypocritical and picking on one natural colour.

I used to work somewhere that had as part of its uniform rules a proviso on no unnatural colours. From memory specifically mentioning eg purple, blue and green. The only time that ever came into play is I once suspended someone who came in with pink hair until it was dyed back to a natural colour - I didn't want to but I didn't make the rules but had to enforce them. She was well aware of the rule and knew she was pushing her luck so didn't argue (too much) and returned to work a week later. My interpretation of the rule was it didn't have to be your natural colour, it just had to be a natural colour.

No, we don't have any kind of uniform or a policy of appearance. We tell our pupils that it's in their interest to dress appropriately, but not so much for our sake but for their's - 70% of them either are or will be in some kind of apprenticeship during or after school.

That means that stuff like hair colour, visible piercings or tattoos might be a problem if they want to apprentice in a bank. However, we had one pupil who was somewhat heavily pierced. She still managed to get an apprenticeship - in a logistics company. The CEO simply said: "Hell, if we fired everyone with a tattoo or piercing around here, we would have no drivers at all and the rest of our workforce would be reduced by at least 50%."

The UK does appear to have a thing with going overboard on rules and appearances. This is hardly one school deciding to pick on a student.

School's statement:
    Following recent speculation and inaccurate reporting in the media about hair colour we would like to clarify Trinity School’s position. Firstly, it is important to state that no student has been banned from school this week. The student in question has been in lessons all week and accompanied the rest of the year group on our Futures Ready trip to Northumbria University yesterday.

We have a high achieving Sixth form; last year’s results were in the top 12% nationally. We achieve this because of our policy of maintaining high standards in all that we do. Our policy on hair, which is made clear on the website and to all students and parents, refers to hair when dyed in unnatural colours. In this case, two tone hair with yellow dipped dyed ends crosses that line. The policy is to ask students to tone it down or to tie it up so that unnatural colour is not visible, as was agreed in this case.

We expect our Sixth form students to be excellent role models for the rest of our students and the vast majority of our school community supports us in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    No, we don't have any kind of uniform or a policy of appearance. We tell our pupils that it's in their interest to dress appropriately, but not so much for our sake but for their's - 70% of them either are or will be in some kind of apprenticeship during or after school.

That means that stuff like hair colour, visible piercings or tattoos might be a problem if they want to apprentice in a bank. However, we had one pupil who was somewhat heavily pierced. She still managed to get an apprenticeship - in a logistics company. The CEO simply said: "Hell, if we fired everyone with a tattoo or piercing around here, we would have no drivers at all and the rest of our workforce would be reduced by at least 50%."
    I'm curious if there are rules on logos or potentially 'offensive' statements/symbols in the class room.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I'm curious if there are rules on logos or potentially 'offensive' statements/symbols in the class room.
    Why should there be? If there was something problematic we'd talk to the pupil.

However, we haven't had such a problem yet and I don't quite see why we should create rules which deal with such a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    When I was in high school there was someone with a sweater that said "fuck authority" so not really, I think. And I think these rules are a bit silly, especially in their response linking it directly to their academic performance.

Though if you do gave clear rules and talked to the student, I think it's a bit ridiculous that you then get an article that states she was banned and has a natural colour, when OGs statement clearly says it's not. But hey, why would a journalist hear both sides before publishing anyway?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-risks-5543923

That ain't no fixie, mirror! Though your point about a helmet and front brake are valid.

So if the school's statement is to be believed then it sounds like much ado about nothing.

Khen so if someone wanted to go so your school in a Nazi SS uniform that'd be perfectly legal and totally ok with you?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Khen so if someone wanted to go so your school in a Nazi SS uniform that'd be perfectly legal and totally ok with you?
    Naw, that wouldn't be okay but then, we wouldn't have to create any rules for that because it's already illegal? And by that I mean: "jail time" illegal.

Bad example you chose there.

Say, aren't you one of those guys who are clamoring about the abundance of laws and regulations? And yet, in this very thread, you're absolutely fishing for an "a-HA! Gotcha!" moment which shows us how our lack of formal rules would be a problem?

I already told you: We don't have a problem with our pupils' clothing. Why on earth should we worry about such a non-issue then?

Not exactly a bad example it was clearly picked deliberately. It was a rhetorical question, I knew the answer before I wrote it. I wrote it because you were claiming that anything goes and clearly there are lines that can't be crossed - the issue is simply where the line is to be drawn.

As for laws and regulations, yes I think that there are too many in general but I've never vouched for anarchy. I believe that organisations like companies (and schools etc) should write their own rules and regulations rather than have the state draw them up. If a school wants to have a uniform policy that is their choice, if it doesn't then that should also be their choice.

Yes, Rand, I was "claiming that anything goes". Perfect example for a failure of reading comprehension.

Once again, a moronic attitude like yours is the reason why our codes of law need to cover every single detail.

I said that "I don't care" (as in: Me. Myself. This very person). That's pretty different from "anything goes", my dear. But I expect the difference to fly straight over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Since you seem so intent to justify thinking you're being cute by acting like an asshole, the lack of a uniform or a policy (which were his exact words) generally means that there are no policies, rules, or regulations on top of existing policies, rules, or regulations in place that the existing population already adheres to.

Having no policy in place does not mean there is no enforcement of existing laws, thats just retarded thinking.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 04-19-2015 at 09:29 PM.

A 2007 Urban Institute study of child support debt in nine large states found that 70 percent of the arrears were owed by people who reported less than $10,000 a year in income. They were expected to pay, on average, 83 percent of their income in child support.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/20/us...ob-repeat.html

Pretty disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    But the Georgia Supreme Court ruled against them, saying they did not have a categorical right to a lawyer.
    That's great. They're in front of the court because they have no money to pay - and somehow they're supposed to come up with the money for a lawyer?