Page 123 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,690 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/po...rial/76880994/

So this guy inserts himself into the gun debate by taking some really poor shots at a literal newspaper. Gun debate aside, how is this guy any saner than a book burner? He sees information he doesn't agree with and his go to response is to destroy it
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 12-06-2015 at 08:15 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Someone needs to send the man a copy of the constitution.

On a serious note, this is disgraceful. If people turn to fascism after 14 dead, what happens when there's a severe threat?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    http://www.11alive.com/story/news/po...rial/76880994/

So this guy inserts himself into the gun debate by taking some really poor shots at a literal newspaper. Gun debate aside, how is this guy any saner than a book burner? He sees information he doesn't agree with and his go to response is to destroy it
    Do you see no difference in what amounts to a personal protest using privately owned property, and an active attempt to prevent the dissemination of information to others by destroying property, often belonging to someone else? If someone throws a copy of the Bible in a wood chipper in protest of an evangelical Christian's literal interpretation of the text, are they too no saner than book burners?
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 12-08-2015 at 03:16 AM.

There's the legal aspect, where the guy is on solid ground. But there's also the sanity aspect, where he's doing far less well.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ir-you-bought/

So, does that mean that the UK government now needs to look very closely at getting a lot of licenses for their CCTV cameras?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

https://news.vice.com/article/video-...s-to-surrender

About 7:40 in. WTF is wrong with the police? Furthermore, WTF is wrong with grand juries?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ir-you-bought/

So, does that mean that the UK government now needs to look very closely at getting a lot of licenses for their CCTV cameras?
    Only if they plan to use the images commercially.

70 years after someone's death seems a bit long to me.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2...-account.html/

Holding a juvenile for three days without giving him access to child protective services, his parents or a lawyer? I get that it is Texas but those cops should all be fired for such a moronic stunt.

Maybe they get a raise each time they violate someone's civil rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    https://news.vice.com/article/video-...s-to-surrender

About 7:40 in. WTF is wrong with the police? Furthermore, WTF is wrong with grand juries?
    Crazy guy beat up his wife, had a weapon and wasn't following police instructions? Yeah those all play a factor. I highly doubt the police said, "put your hands in the air" they likely told him to drop weapon and get on the ground. 15 seconds earlier he was advancing on the officers. I'm not suggesting that this was a 'clean shoot' but it isn't as crazy as you are making it to appear.

It's irrelevant what he did. He wasn't dangerous at that moment. You don't shoot someone who just raised his hands. Not following orders from police isn't punished by death.

It's irrelevant what he did. He wasn't dangerous at that moment. You don't shoot someone who just raised his hands. Not following orders from police isn't punished by death.
    Actually what he did previously is absolutely relevant when it comes to a threat assessment. A violent individual who had recently physically assaulted someone was actively hostile and made threatening actions toward police officers. The armed and dangerous individual did not comply with the police officer's instructions. That's what happened. Granted this might have been a situation where a Taser would have be the appropriate weapon however blame liberals for trying to do away with Tasers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Actually what he did previously is absolutely relevant when it comes to a threat assessment. A violent individual who had recently physically assaulted someone was actively hostile and made threatening actions toward police officers. The armed and dangerous individual did not comply with the police officer's instructions. That's what happened. Granted this might have been a situation where a Taser would have be the appropriate weapon however blame liberals for trying to do away with Tasers.
    And the police would have been within their rights to shoot the guy when he was taking hostile actions towards them. But the police doesn't retain the right to shoot someone who made hostile actions in the past.

I thought for a moment I saw a photo of Ogre at a Trump rally but that can't be right.

Can we just send any civilian who uses drones to Guantanamo?

This wasn't an amateur flying a drone over the piste.

It was the news station right? Thats not exactly a consumer level drone.

Machinery is going to fail, just ask the resident evil stunt double. Her career ended when a camera arm failed. All comes down to location.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Yeah, and yes, machinery will fail, which is why ideally you operate it in a manner that even a failure keeps you safe. As in this case, where they weren't supposed to fly actually over the piste.

Film sets are BTW one of the places with the most work safety violations in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    This wasn't an amateur flying a drone over the piste.
    Point still stands.

Point still stands.
    Do you also think no civilian should fly a plane? I mean those are even more dangerous!

I think the main problem is that they are relatively new so there aren't real safety standards yet.

As in this case, where they weren't supposed to fly actually over the piste.
    Was that an actual rule when this happened? We don't have a whole lot of unique english sources for this. The drone could have been trailing him for all we know from the youtube video. He was never at any point where the drone fell, but maybe thats because he is a world champion.

Do you also think no civilian should fly a plane? I mean those are even more dangerous!

I think the main problem is that they are relatively new so there aren't real safety standards yet.
    That's my problem. There are no standards. And where standards do exist, they're ignored.

You try flying a drone near TPA or MacDill. See how long they ignore you

Can we just send any civilian who uses drones to Guantanamo?
    haha, no. But we can -- and should -- have regulatory controls for drones, whether they're used by The Press or The Police. Personally, I'm not comfortable with the Insurance Industry creating these risk models any more than "government".....

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    haha, no. But we can -- and should -- have regulatory controls for drones, whether they're used by The Press or The Police. Personally, I'm not comfortable with the Insurance Industry creating these risk models any more than "government".....
    As I'm sitting here thinking about what you are writing I just have to ask one question. Why is government in quotes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Was that an actual rule when this happened?
    The drone pilot was told by his employers in no uncertain terms to keep his drone away from the track. He obviously chose to ignore his orders.

And in some countries it was an actual rule for all tracks - that's probably bound to change to all countries now.

Sometimes people are just stupid - my brother just told me of an advertisement shooting he was at where they rented a huge hall to drive around in with an AMG (you know, the tuned Mercedes cars). The shots were done by a pickup truck with a servo arm upon which 8 really expensive cameras rested.

The director wanted a final take where the two cars were driving towards each other with a fly-over at the last moment. My brother was watching the feed on the monitors and thought to himself: "Well, he should begin lifting the arm now. Now? Uhm, cutting it mighty close there..."

... and next thing he knew was a whole bunch of camera and servo arm parts flying around the hall. The AMG was opened up like a fish can, but the driver survived (if only by a literal inch!).

http://www.timesofisrael.com/bus-dri...arab-from-bus/

a trying to get my traveling out of the way before Europe catches this bug