Page 125 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,750 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    So, my brother had an idea for which he needed a partial image of a street map in vector graphics.

And OpenStreetMaps can do exactly what he wants - you can export the current viewport of the map as an SVG.

However, OSM's export feature sometimes fails and it's also a commercial venue, so we thought it best to implement the whole thing on our own server. After all, it's OpenSource, so we can easily see how they done it, right?

Yeah.

So, first, the installation instructions for all the stuff involved (Mapnik, PostgreSQL + PostGIS, LeafLet, TileMill, ...) turn out to be a bit Byzantinic. I trucked through that, however, and then set out to import an actual map (of Germany, mind) onto the database. That particular map file was 3 GB in size.

For which I used a VirtualMachine of roughly the same proportions my brother will later on run: 2 cores, 4 GB RAM, 60 GB of space.

I made the mistake of putting that one on a hard disc. Turns out, the import process involves a lot of small random access read/writes, so when I gave up and stopped the thing, five(5) days had passed and it was still not done.

So, next move: Put it on an SSD. Sped up the process at least 50-fold. Only to yield this:

An error occured.
    Out of disc space.

Wut?

So, tomorrow I'll give it way more disc space and see how that goes. Geeze.

Of course, there's no indication anywhere in the instructions that the import process may take days if you put it onto a harddisc and that the map size balloons more than 2000%...
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

https://euobserver.com/foreign/133221

What's wrong with Scandinavian Greens? The Swedish ones get taken over by Islamists. The Finnish ones are sucking up to Putin.
    Hope is the denial of reality

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/op...dangerous.html

Pretty disturbing piece about midwives in the US.

Did Ted Cruz's dad help LHO kill JFK?

Did he??

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/op...dangerous.html

Pretty disturbing piece about midwives in the US.
    Thanks for the link
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Does his dad have a middle name? If not, I doubt it.

Starting the process of home hunting. Talked to a lender today cause everyone talks about preapproval being so important. At both 3.5 and 5% down, we were approved for a house up to $300,000 because of our credit score and low monthly expenses . We make $60k a year, before taxes.

WTF is wrong with this industry. I was looking at homes a good 50k less and wondering if I could swing it.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Starting the process of home hunting. Talked to a lender today cause everyone talks about preapproval being so important. At both 3.5 and 5% down, we were approved for a house up to $300,000 because of our credit score and low monthly expenses . We make $60k a year, before taxes.

WTF is wrong with this industry. I was looking at homes a good 50k less and wondering if I could swing it.
    Good to be cautious, stick to your plan as far as possible. It's not just that the industry is messed up. The market is what it is and people's circumstances vary greatly. Good luck with the house-hunting are you going to buy one or build?

Some college students are the greatest evidence against rationality. One student had the choice between doing an assignment that takes no more than a few hours vs. repeating the entire course and opted for the latter. Several others decided that they'd only show up for exams, guaranteeing themselves a failing grade for the class. Why?

Because you're supposed to just give them their passing grade anyway
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I tried to disabuse them of that notion on several occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    are you going to buy one or build?
    buy. building in an established city like this is near impossible and would likely result in an uprooting drive and career change.
    If my car and computer buying history is any indication, I don't do good with options. I'd want everything, including the disney store blue tile and concrete counter tops with fiber optics.

I'm perfectly happy where I am now, and so is my landlord. I've lived in some not so great places before and it never bothered me. So I've left house hunting up to the wife, which she is more than happy with. I wouldn't be surprised if Im signing paperwork before actually walking through the place. She already has viewings scheduled for Saturday while I'm working.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-09-2016 at 11:13 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It just rained out of the blue sky. Only some white clouds, but they were not even close to me.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Over here it's clear blue skies and 27 degrees. A week ago it was snowing
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Same same.

Haha, Eurovision can be watched on TV in the US.
    Congratulations America

That surprises you? With the amount of channels there I'd be more surprised if anything wasn't

Was Douwe any good by the way?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

It's the first time ever, so yes I am surprised.

I missed him as I somehow forgot the first semi was on last tuesday. But he's in the final so he was ok I guess.
    Congratulations America

Kind of funny; all mosques and churches in The Netherlands have been notified that if they engage preachers from outside the EU they actually need to apply for a work permit even if such a preacher only speaks at their mosque or church for a single time. The fine for having preach someone without a work permit is €8000. I wonder though how the office in charge of the work permits is establishing if the sermon couldn't be done by someone from the EU
    Congratulations America

When you live in a country with no rule of law...

Every time I see a baby lick a screen in the grocery store.....I wonder WTF is going on. When I say babies shouldn't be given "screens" as entertainment or distraction, I'm called a Luddite. When I say babies should have their vaccinations and boosters updated, I'm called called other names. WTF is going on?

http://arstechnica.com/the-multivers...ruitment-mail/

You got some awesome new interns to look forward to Wraithy-bae

God I hate that word. I hate it so much.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Coincidentally, "bae" would be pronounced as "Bäh" in German. Which is the sound you make if you happen upon something disgusting.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I always pronounce it like that (in my head) when I read it. I don't care how I should pronounce it. Bäh, is totally appropriate.

Which reminds me of

So apparently ISIS is run by Israeli Jews and funded by the US

What the hell is wrong with people? How can educated and purportedly intelligent men and women keep being seduced by this kind of conspiracy theory in the face of the greatest threat their culture is currently facing?

A vast majority of Iraqis believe ISIS works for the US, so...

A combination of cognitive dissonance and a conspiratorial culture.

I just went to a (very good) seminar on ECMO use in the clinic today... and seriously, WTF. There is nearly zero good quality clinical evidence on (a) what indications it is appropriate for, (b) how control systems should be matched to a given pathology, or (c) if it's even helping at all. Everything is driven by 'expert consensus' with essentially no data. The engineering challenges are immense, and they more or less just repackaged bypass machines for long term ECMO in wildly varying applications.

I mean, I get that physicians are desperately trying to use any technology that might keep their patients from dying, but the paucity of data - especially given how long the technology has existed - is pretty awful.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Sweden's youngest ever government minister, Aida Hadzialic, has resigned after being caught driving over the alcoholic limit.

Hadzialic, 29, is minister for higher education in the centre-left government and Sweden's first Muslim minister.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37069609

So unnecessary. Most people never take chances with this because the legal limit is so low that you can never really count on getting below the limit the same night. The response to this from the Swedish right will be rich in hypocrisy