Page 126 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,780 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Just wait 'til they start hating Muslims for being alcoholics.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Now I'm not an ajax fan.. But wtf was last night's game, that was simply embarrassing.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

So today I've learned about coal-rolling. Fully grown American men can be so dumb sometimes. Guessing Lewk is getting ready to yeehaw his truck too

So something happened that perhaps should be in another thread or not be anywhere at all but...
    Spoiler:
    anyway, last week I had a patient encounter unlike any I've had in my years of working clinically. I've had many very memorable and very moving encounters and I've met many people who have been through just the worst kinda shit, but last week I met someone who shook me on a personal existential level in a way I've never experienced. I was pretty (very) scared but I trusted my instincts and decided--and was able--to put the professional persona aside for a few moments and meet him where he was and we had a very frank conversation about some stuff. It was scary but the overall feeling was positive. Wrt the medical aspects I had worked out a good plan and I was optimistic. Even so, I must have had some residual doubts because when I received confirmation (today) from a third party that things were now going all right, something inside me just unwound and my head began to feel funny. When I got the opportunity, later today, to discuss this encounter in a structured fashion with some colleagues, I dunno, I was so overcome with released emotion that I actually got dizzy. My head hurt. When I got home I was woozy and exhausted and felt like a sponge that had been squeezed dry and now I'm just very happy. I don't think I've felt this kind of emotion since, like, my wedding, just after saying my vows. Very different situation but the feeling, it caught me off guard.

So anyway, to the wtf bit. I've heard of some pretty bizarre and horrific accounts of nightmares associated with anesthesia, trauma and critical care but I've now heard one that I think about 70% of you guys will be able to understand why it struck a chord: a young man fearing for his sanity dreams of living through hundreds of very different lives and dying horrifically at the end of each and every one.

I win again...

Thanks to a "discussion" about climate change I've gotten the opportunity to update myself on current climate change myths.

So far there hasn't been much to update. They're still talking about misleading unadjusted satellite data (since corrected) and throwing around illustrations based on blatant misunderstanding/misrepresentation of the data from the GISP2 core.

This is more embarrassing than antivaxx. At least those people have the decency to occasionally update the details of their myths.
    Last edited by Aimless; 09-15-2016 at 10:33 PM.

http://thetab.com/uk/2016/09/19/brac...ar-women-20145

No pen-holder for the Bic: For Her pens

How do I politely tell someone with a moderate sized hole in the back of their jeans that today is not a good day to be going commando?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    How do I politely tell someone with a moderate sized hole in the back of their jeans that today is not a good day to be going commando?
    This may be my dutch directness, but just say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Say "excuse me" first.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Hmm you could probably do something with a leaf-blower

So we saw Shazia Mirza's show "The Kardashians Made Me Do It" tonight and it was wonderful and hilarious in large part because she just doesn't give a fuck (but in a deeply serious and caring way). It was about a lot of things but was billed as presenting a special theory of Islamic radicalization, specifically the radicalization of young Muslim girls in the west. In her telling, ISIS is the One Direction of Islam and these young impressionable jihadi brides are skipping off to Syria not out of religious fervor but out of misguided and repressed horniness. Anyway, it was a blast but the end was hella weird because she actually read a couple of Hadith (set to a dope-ass hiphop beat) and it was eerie as hell because, well:

I heard Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) saying, "In the last days of this world there will appear some young foolish people who will use (in their claim) the best speech of all people (i.e. the Qur'an) and they will abandon Islam as an arrow going through the game. Their belief will not go beyond their throats (i.e. they will have practically no belief), so wherever you meet them, kill them, for he who kills them shall get a reward on the Day of Resurrection."

[...]

"If you see the black flags *, then remain on the ground and do not move a hand or a leg.
    A group of feeble folk to whom no concern is given will then appear - their hearts are like iron [1].
    They are the owners of the state [2].
    They fulfill neither a contract nor a covenant [3].
    They call to the truth, but they are not its people [4].
    Their names are a kuniya (their leaders name will start with Abu meaning Father of) and their lineage (surnames) are a town [5].
    Their hair is unwinding, like the hair of a women [6].
    (Do this) until they differ in it between themselves, then Allah will give the right to whomever HE desires."
    (I couldn't find the versions she read) The second one I believe is considered less authentic, but nevertheless old as hell.

I haven't really spent any time on researching the eschatology of ISIS but it's easy to get the impression that they're deliberately trying to fit these "predictions" as closely as possible. Creepy

Ah, the power of marketing? In open societies it's advertising, in closed societies it's propaganda. But we're all vulnerable/susceptible; it's part of the human condition.

Wraith, maybe they already know about the big hole in their jeans....

Bob freakin' Dylan?!
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Bob freakin' Dylan?!
    From the articles I read, he's been a contender for several years now.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Don't get me wrong - I think Bob Dylan is a creative genius who has left an indelible mark on American (and global, to a lesser sense) culture. I just don't think it's literature.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

What exactly would be the difference between poetry and songwriting?

Y'know, I am one of those suckers who bought a Samsung Note 7. And the way Samsung Germany went about the whole disaster is quite noteworthy and makes me never want to buy from the again.

First they vehemently denied any problems even when Samsung USA had already begun the recall.

Then they made me waste an hour of my time for replacing the device - they used a hot-swap delivery with UPS - meaning that I could only receive the new one directly in exchange for the old one. Only problem: UPS always delivers their stuff at 11.30am. When I'm at school. And since Samsung didn't tell me of this beforehand, I couldn't negotiate a different place (like, my school) and the delivery method also forbade any changes to the address afterwards. Which meant that I had to drive to the logistics center myself which meant driving through the Elbtunnel which currently is a traffic jam nightmare even at 07.00pm.

Then they vehemently denied anything wrong again even when they had already stopped production. You don't stop production of a new product for trivial problems, guys.

And now they want me to send the device back to them (again, wasting my own time here). Without the special container they're using in the US.

And of course, without giving me either 25 € straight or 100 € if I switched to, say, a S7 Edge, as in the US.

The S7 Edge is nice, if you can stomach another Samsung phome.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Nope. I already am annoyed by several other devices by Samsung, this will be my very last Samsung device for the foreseeable future.

Hope is the denial of reality

That wasn't even the best Florida man of the day

http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/f...Ni4kXals530jL/
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    That wasn't even the best Florida man of the day

http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/f...Ni4kXals530jL/
    Loki's guy only has half a head. Sorry but run of the mill crime story doesn't trump HALF HEADED MAN.

http://thetab.com/uk/2016/10/20/spok...-bladder-23156

dedicated troll or guardian of RB's future?

So a 15-y-o kid from Iraq is being personally harrassed and publicly trashed all over Swedish social media, by Lewk and RB's Swedish compatriots, after appearing on a panel discussion TV with the Swedish minster of education and some other kids aged 14-16. The reason? He looks too old. He has a beard. He's buff. He looks menacing. Obviously he's a 30-y-o asylum-seeker who's lied about his age in order to be able to settle in Sweden. Several prominent members of the Swedish Racist Party have participated in this witch-hunt and accused him of being a 30-y-o man lying about his age.

Of course that means that he'd have been about 21 years old when he came to Sweden with the rest of his family, and around 22 in first grade, surrounded by 7-year-olds.

These people are so fucking dumb. I wish they'd all just move to the US where they fucking belong.

You're being a dick, Aimless.

Sorry, comes with being a violent liberal leftist.

But yes, they should get the opportunity to form their own opinions. Voila:

enjoy

I must say that I am not convinced by the claim that the person in the picture is 15. I know that some 17 year old boys in the middle east actually do look like that, but if his official age is 15 I would still have doubts about him being registered at a moment close to his birth. The brother of my best friend in Turkey officially is 3 years younger than his real age.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I must say that I am not convinced by the claim that the person in the picture is 15. I know that some 17 year old boys in the middle east actually do look like that, but if his official age is 15 I would still have doubts about him being registered at a moment close to his birth. The brother of my best friend in Turkey officially is 3 years younger than his real age.
    I'm not particularly bothered by the notion because, growing up, I had Swedish-born Kurdish friends who went from looking like babies to looking like fully grown terrorists almost overnight, kinda like this:

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that people are essentially alleging that he must have been 22 when he started in first grade. His parents musta been some really skilled liars is all I'm saying. Must be all that extra taqiyya practice they got in on the trip to Sweden