Page 130 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,900 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    https://pankisseskafka.com/2017/07/1...ne-looks-like/

This is becoming the new norm in academia (a majority of professors are not tenure-track).
    Hah, that's hilarious. Why even bother advertising for the position?

I have to wonder why academics in non-STEM disciplines put up with this shit. If the academic job market is so shitty, they should just work elsewhere. I understand that non-academic jobs in obscure non-STEM disciplines are not always in as good supply, but nearly any job has got to be better than the wage slavery that modern day lecturers face. In STEM grad programs, PhD student stipends pay better than that.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Hah, that's hilarious. Why even bother advertising for the position?

I have to wonder why academics in non-STEM disciplines put up with this shit. If the academic job market is so shitty, they should just work elsewhere. I understand that non-academic jobs in obscure non-STEM disciplines are not always in as good supply, but nearly any job has got to be better than the wage slavery that modern day lecturers face. In STEM grad programs, PhD student stipends pay better than that.
    Because some shmuck will apply.

Endless supply. They think it's just one more year on the adjunct track. And another year. After a point, it becomes difficult to admit that your life plan is an utter failure. Can they do something else? Sure. But jobs you've been conditioned to think are below you. Plus years of adjuncting degrades the kind of skills that would make you desirable to other employers.
    Hope is the denial of reality

For ostensibly bright people, they seem awfully good at fooling themselves...
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    For ostensibly bright people, they seem awfully good at fooling themselves...
    Other than a reasonable amount of intelligence, the main requirement for getting a Ph.D. is perseverance. I saw a lot of really smart people drop out because they got bored, stopped enjoying the work, or couldn't take it anymore. That same perseverance pushes people to stay in the field even when they really shouldn't.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Comparing property taxes (by school district and municipality) in the price of homes for sale vs homes and apartments for rent. WTF. The differences are astounding. I'm not exactly sure why, but I suspect the devil is in the tax codes. Is there a huge advantage given to property investors, speculators, and landlords over owner-occupied housing? If so, why?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...otos-suspended

I'm not so much surprised as I am concerned. I guess this is just a result of Fox's commitment to showing the naked truth?

Traveling to Venice today. Three out of three urinals--in three different countries--contained pubic hair. Never seen this before. What is happening to society

Incidentally, we spent much of our evening talking about Tinder and my friend and his gf were both quite secretive about their first Tinder date

No mention whether it involved poo being thrown out a window?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Appropriate charities
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

To continue with the theme of insane academic jobs in politics, this time with a British twist:

The lecturer will be required to give six hours of tutorials a week, averaged over each eight-week term, for Mansfield Politics students studying for the degrees of PPE and Modern History and Politics. The successful candidate, who should have completed (or be about to complete) their doctoral studies, will be required to teach the ‘political theory’ element of the first-year ‘Introduction to the Theory and Practice of Politics’ paper, and the core second-year paper ‘Theory of Politics’ (203). The ability to teach one or more of the following further papers in political theory would be an advantage: ‘History of Political Thought: Plato to Rousseau’ (215); ‘History of Political Thought: Bentham to Weber’ (216); and ‘Marx and Marxism’ (217). More information on these papers can be found at:

In addition, the lecturer will be expected to organise all Politics teaching for Mansfield PPE and Modern History and Politics students, take part in undergraduate admissions at Mansfield, and act as college advisor to Mansfield graduate students in Politics. The salary for the post is based on the second point of the Senior Tutors’ Stipendiary Lecturer scale, currently £13,415 for the six-hour post. The post carries full dining rights, a £500 research allowance and the use of a teaching room in college.
    http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BEC886/fix...p-in-politics/

And this is Oxford. Which apparently pays 13k a year for the honor of being a lecturer, tutor, admissions officer, program officer, and graduate advisor.

I will never understand why people choose to live on islands, or boats. They're basically trapped, living between weather's folly and emergency responders. Ditto for cruise ships. Why these things are posed as vacations or paradise, and millions of people believe it, and buy into it, I'll never fully comprehend

btw, whatever happened to Illusions?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    He has a Donald Trump bobblehead next to the photos.

WTF?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I get why he does it...it is a shallow reason...but I get it.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

So I was part of an event here (along with several other faculty), and the organizers invited a Dem and Rep lawmaker to take part. The Rep googled my name, saw that I had criticized Trump (not the GOP, mind you), and wrote a page-long email rant about the evil that is academia and how he refuses to be in the same room as liberal elites.

Post it! Send it to wapo and vox and Twitter.

I wonder if that same lawmaker is also likes to spend hours going on about safe-spaces, calls people over-sensitive, snowflakes etc?

I think it's pretty likely.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

According to the Dem, the GOP passed a bill banning safe spaces on college campuses.

This guy is on the education committee. He seems petty enough that he'd try to defund the college. Plus these people welcome​ the free publicity.

I know a joke about how Republicans are like snowflakes:

*clears throat*

They're white, cold, and if you get enough of them together they shut down public schools.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Another story from the Dem. A GOP committee chair was holding hearings on rape on college campuses. Right before the hearing started, he warned the women about to testify that they should leave if they expect a safe space instead of a hyper-aggressive zone. When told this might make the news, he laughed and said he hopes it makes the NY Times so he could send the story to his constituents.