Page 136 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,080 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

What the hell?

The 'Kentler Project' in West Berlin routinely placed homeless children with pedophile men, assuming they'd make ideal foster parents. A study has found the practice went on for decades.
    https://amp.dw.com/en/berlin-authori...ars/a-53814208
    Hope is the denial of reality

The American mindset is pretty fucked up. I have an image of a guy driving 100 mph, not wearing a seat belt, with a bottle of whiskey in one hand and a cigar/cigarette in the other, and a loaded gun in his lap, yelling FREEEEEDOM, give me Liberty or give me Death.

It would be a great political cartoon, but it's still pathetic.

He's wearing a cowboy hat, right?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I see your Truly and raise you a Verily.

This must be the best case of a community in lust with smelling it's own farts. He's a public kiddie toucher and he get accolades? Cancel Culture is not decending on this? I wonder why?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

WHAT.

More info I could have passed on by...

I had to jump through hoops to become a foster parent here...and some nut job convinces a government agency to hand kids over to pedophiles as they make excellent parents???

Sigh...the human race...

Your mistake was to not be connected to important politicians.

Yeah, what was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    He's wearing a cowboy hat, right?
    Or a MAGA hat. Might have a confederate flag bumper sticker, too.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Mystery over man who stands by busy road waving at cars with bag on his head

Drivers have been left confused by a man who regularly stands by the side of a busy road waving at cars with a paper bag over his head.

The mystery man was snapped at the side of the A37 on Saturday afternoon near the village of Farrington Gurney, Somerset.

He appears to be wearing a blue jacket and trousers, as well as a brown bag on his head with holes cut for the eyes.

The bizarre scene was photographed by one passerby, who said she thought it was "hilarious".

Many others also commented on the man after seeing his picture online.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I love this thread so much I want Nicolas Cage to star in it:

https://twitter.com/Radthanael/statu...43162879934465

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...rce=reddit.com
    Since 2015, UK farmers have reduced their use of antibiotics by 43 per cent. But US farmers use more than five times as much per kilogramme of meat produced, and eight times more for beef and turkey meat.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported last year that 2.8 million antibiotic-resistant infections occur in the country every year and 35,000 people die — up from 23,000 in 2013.
    I knew the US is pretty bad in this subject, but I didn't realise they are that bad.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...rce=reddit.com

I knew the US is pretty bad in this subject, but I didn't realise they are that bad.
    There are a lot of galaxy brain takes about how antibiotic use in the meat industry isn't the real problem when we're talking about antibiotic resistance.

Help me out NL people:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55970665

10 cm is a storm and you haven't had it this bad in a decade? I genuinely thought NL winter was a lot worse than that.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

College campuses throughout Georgia were closed for 2 days a few years back because of 0.5 inch of snow in Atlanta. It didn't even snow in most of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Help me out NL people:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55970665

10 cm is a storm and you haven't had it this bad in a decade? I genuinely thought NL winter was a lot worse than that.
    Don't forget generally speaking winters are warmer here than places on a similar latitude on the US east coast (that's where you are, right?). Plus it's not just snow, it's also pretty windy and there's a bunch of ice which makes it tricky (it's not the 10 cm that makes it a storm). And if people aren't used to driving (or living in general I suppose) in winter weather.. I mean, a lot of people don't even have winter tires for their cars here.

Generally we get a couple of snowy and freezing days a year, usually not this long and this much. It's been a couple of years since I've ice skated on natural ice, for sure, and the last time we had the 11 city tour (200 km natural ice race) was in the nineties. It certainly seems like winters are becoming cold less and less often.

Btw, definitely more than 10 cm fell where I live.

What he said. I can also add that on average winters in Amsterdam are milder than in Istanbul.

It's caused by a movement of relatively warm air from the Gulf of Mexico over the Atlantic being a dominant factor in our climate. Only when we have strong winds from the north or east during winter things get harsh, sometimes very harsh. And we're not really used to it.
    Congratulations America

Haha, a neighbour just came to borrow a lighter because the lock of the gate to the alley was frozen shut.

Yeah, the weather is warmed quite a bit by the nearby sea (and warm air over it, I suppose). My ex was from Poland, at a place roughly the same latitude, but the winter there was a lot harsher than here. Even here, where I live is more inland and we always have colder weather and more snow in winter (and, conversely, hotter in summer) than at the seaside. Only 100km or so, but already noticeable.

Still (slowly) falling here all day, more than 20cm in my garden now.

Huh, I had no idea. Boston and Chicago are both 10 degrees SOUTH of Amsterdam but 20 cm of snow is fully expected several times a winter (much more in Chicago than Boston). Back in 2015 we had about 3 m total for the season (though that was indeed unusual). I guess that jet streams really do matter. Hell, I used to live in Baltimore and they had much milder winters but still got snow more frequently with occasional large dumps (that, admittedly, they were wholly incapable of handling appropriately).
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

College campuses throughout Georgia were closed for 2 days a few years back because of 0.5 inch of snow in Atlanta. It didn't even snow in most of the state.
    The only time I've seen snow was when it snowed in georgia and my parents drove us 5 hours to see it, build a snowman, and another 5 hours home.

I've yet to get the chance to do that with my kids.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    The only time I've seen snow was when it snowed in georgia and my parents drove us 5 hours to see it, build a snowman, and another 5 hours home.

Happy to trade...

I was going to respond with something snarky about it being weird to visit places just to see bad weather. Then I remembered that I had a really nice afternoon with my kids yesterday in the middle of a snowstorm when we went to the local part to go sledding. I think it's a great idea to give it a shot if you find an opportunity.

Huh, I had no idea. Boston and Chicago are both 10 degrees SOUTH of Amsterdam but 20 cm of snow is fully expected several times a winter (much more in Chicago than Boston). Back in 2015 we had about 3 m total for the season (though that was indeed unusual). I guess that jet streams really do matter. Hell, I used to live in Baltimore and they had much milder winters but still got snow more frequently with occasional large dumps (that, admittedly, they were wholly incapable of handling appropriately).
    Maybe you got that idea from all those Golden Age paintings of people skating. But they were painted at a time that was unusually cold for this region. The Gulfstream keeps our climate nice and moderate. Very wet too though.

Funnily enough I was aware of the difference in climates because of adventure books I read as a boy.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Maybe you got that idea from all those Golden Age paintings of people skating. But they were painted at a time that was unusually cold for this region. The Gulfstream keeps our climate nice and moderate. Very wet too though.

Funnily enough I was aware of the difference in climates because of adventure books I read as a boy.
    Could be? I've only spent a couple of days in Amsterdam and all I remember was that it was grey and dreary but I didn't have enough context to know typical seasonal weather. Always nice to learn new things.

Could be? I've only spent a couple of days in Amsterdam and all I remember was that it was grey and dreary but I didn't have enough context to know typical seasonal weather. Always nice to learn new things.
    Walking in this snow is a bitch though. My legs are actually hurting today.
    Congratulations America

Longitude and Latitude both affect the weather dramatically. The weather this side of the Atlantic is far, far milder in winter than your side or Russia etc get at a similar latitude.

Global warming screwing with weather systems could end up causing much harsher winters in Europe ironically.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Yeh the Gulf Stream plays a big part in the crappy rainy weather northern-western parts of Europe and the UK gets.

Whilst these areas are on a latitude with Canada and central Russia, which are freezing and covered in snow at this time of year, the Gulf Stream brings warm tropical sea temperatures way up north, which turns what would otherwise be lovely snowy weather into miserable rainy grey drizzly crapness.

It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

'Lovely snowy weather'

'Lovely snowy weather'

'miserable warmer tropical weather'
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.