Page 137 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Man caught driving with 'practically zero-visibility' in Dundee

A man has been charged with dangerous driving after being stopped in Dundee with snow covering almost his entire front and rear windscreens.

Police said it was "about the most extreme example of lack of preparation" that they had ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Give that man a cabinet post
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

Wtf indeed. By the way, even if the window is clear, you should also clear the snow from the rest of your car, if you're driving and ice/snow slides from your car onto the next..

Also, related to winter weather: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...249176120.html
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Wtf indeed. By the way, even if the window is clear, you should also clear the snow from the rest of your car, if you're driving and ice/snow slides from your car onto the next..
    I was reading earlier today that Swiss police will issue you with a fine if you have snow just on your roof and all windows are clear. Idea being that snow will blow off your roof and onto vehicles behind impeding their vision, or if you brake it may slide onto your windscreen impeding your own vision.

Ouch. Yet another example of people not driving to the conditions. 6 dead and 65 injured is crazy.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Our regional authority—which manages our healthcare system—made a very controversial decision, about five years ago, to start charging for coffee at all regional workplaces under their management. Because of public procurement rules, people ended up having to pay for garbage coffee from coffee machines. I just learned that this attempt to eliminate moral coffee hazard cost the region roughly 2.2 million EUR in administrative costs and lost time. Coffee is now free again for all employees. Still garbage, but at least it's cheaper garbage.

Go for the eyes, Boo. GO FOR THE EYES! RrraaaAAGHGHH!

Tomorrow will be sunny with a temperature of 16C.
    Congratulations America

West Ham flying these days.

My local team is sinking lately, unfortunately. It appears they forgot that in football, defending is also a thing..

Meanwhile, in Denver.

Whatever you do, don't watch the video.

The following is of a depravity that I don't understand how people can actually do it.

Last night I was on my last round with Bella, when I noticed that there was a cluster of police car and people on the parking lot of a building alongside my route. That's not very common, but I just continued my route, went home and went to bed. This morning after waking up I remembered and checked the local news to find out that the police had been there to rescue a baby from an underground trash container. I have literally no words for this kind of behavior. The utter lack of humanity. The child is alive and well, but whoever put it there obviously did not care at all whether or not it lived.
    Congratulations America

Crazy story indeed.

Just read on the news that the parents are found and arrested, both 17 years old.

This awful story reminded me of the "baby hatches" where babies can be abandoned safely, so at least they don't die from exposure. Can't find if there are any in Amsterdam though. Glad the baby was found on time in this case.

The remark about protests leaves no doubt about this guy's political ideology (and intelligence).
    Hope is the denial of reality

I just got an email from the coach/parent of my daughter's T-ball team this summer. I thought his name was vaguely familiar so I looked him up. Turns out he's an MD/PhD professor at Harvard who was just appointed to a mid-level public health position by Biden. His CV said nothing about his experience coaching T-ball, though.

My neighborhood is super weird.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    My neighborhood is super weird.
    Definitely. T-Ball coach should have been included.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

T-ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    T-ball?
    Baseball for kids usually with the ball set on a tee at the plate (think giant golf tee). Another one of those sports where a majority of the parents try to live through their kids. Takes a special type of crazy person to willingly coach a team.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Honestly it's just a way to build basic baseball skills, like throwing/catching, basic rules of baserunning, and swinging a bat. And a nice way for 6 year olds to spend an hour each weekend in a team setting. You are unreasonably cynical, OG.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I just took out an (interest free) loan for nearly $30,000. The next week one of my credit cards decided to nearly double our credit line. Because of course that makes sense in the bizarro world of credit scores.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I just took out an (interest free) loan for nearly $30,000. The next week one of my credit cards decided to nearly double our credit line. Because of course that makes sense in the bizarro world of credit scores.
    Yeah, that's what one of my bank contacts told me as well: "This 0% loan makes you look bad!" - I simply had taken the offer to finance my new washing machine and freezer through such a 0% loan. I had just started my job, had to buy lots of furniture and stuff for my new appartment and was perfectly able to service the loan (it was just a mere year to boot), I just did not have much in the way of a reserve at the time.

I still don't understand why.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Yeah, that's what one of my bank contacts told me as well: "This 0% loan makes you look bad!" - I simply had taken the offer to finance my new washing machine and freezer through such a 0% loan. I had just started my job, had to buy lots of furniture and stuff for my new appartment and was perfectly able to service the loan (it was just a mere year to boot), I just did not have much in the way of a reserve at the time.

I still don't understand why.
    I think what Wiggin is describing is actually the opposite. Instead of the 0% loan making him look less appealing to the credit card company, they believed it made him less risky, or perhaps more accurately, more likely to take advantage of a larger line of credit. Essentially because he carried more debt they thought he should have access to more credit.

Enoch is correct. I was given more credit because I had just added nearly $30k to my balance sheet. It makes me have a higher credit score. It's absurd.

I was honestly ready to pay for the item in cash, but if they dangle 0% financing and I know it'll improve my credit for a future mortgage... it's a no brainer. But it's deeply illogical that going into debt for $30k makes people more willing to loan you money.

So I'm assuming a loan like that is for a car. Whatcha get?

Also worthy noting that since the 2 loan types are different revolving vs installment, the credit card is just piggy backing, hoping that the change in finances might force more CC usage, it's kinda evil.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

CR-V hybrid. Nothing super exciting but it's a substantial improvement over my 16 year old Scion xB.

Yeah, I know about the revolving credit thing. I only had 1 installment loan left (some student loans from undergrad) so having more 'diverse' credit makes me look better on the algorithm. I never really got this theory. I pay for everything with credit card just for the rewards, and pay the bill in full every month. The credit card companies KNOW I do this, so they know they're making barely any profit on me - mostly interchange fees minus rewards - but they still give me a big additional bolus of credit that I don't need and won't use. All it does is reduce my credit utilization score a bit more, making my credit score marginally better. It's a weird vicious cycle.