Page 34 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/h...-1225912257329

MORE than 500 people rode inflatable sex dolls down river rapids at the eighth annual instalment of a bizarre but popular Russian race, The St Petersburg Times reported.
    The competitors - and their odd props - spent three minutes hurtling down the Vuoksa River's Losevo Rapids in the Bubble Baba Challenge.

The word "baba" is Russian for "peasant woman," but is also a crude term with sexual connotations, the English-language news website reported.

Men and women both took part in the challenge - with a separate heat for women-only racers.

The race was won by St. Petersburg man Vladislav Pavlenko who rode his doll, dubbed "Vanilla Pelotki," to the finish in two minutes and 47 seconds.
    The event was dreamed up by organiser Dmitry Bulawinov who conceived the idea as a joke at a party where the men got drunk and the women failed to show up.
    The event was first held in 2003.
    Participants must be over 16 years old and are tested for alcohol.
    The competition's charter allows the replacement of the rubber doll with an inflatable animal or a rubber penis of an equivalent
    Such is Life...

The man who has lived in Atlanta’s Fox Theatre for more than 30 years as its caretaker may soon have to find a new place to live.

Joe Patten’s original lease with the Fox allowed him to live there rent-free for life.

But Monday, the theater’s board of directors voted to terminate Patten’s original lease and offered him a new one that would allow the 83-year-old to stay as an “at will” tenant. That means either party could terminate the lease at any time.

The man credited with saving the Fox from demolition, and then a fire, said he has no plans of signing the new lease.

“Well, I mean, I made a serious mistake in saving this building on my part. It wasn’t worth it,” he said.

Patten said he hopes the board will reverse its decision.

Without signing the new lease, he has 90 days to leave the Fox.

The Fox Theatre issued a statement on Monday that said, "Atlanta Landmarks Inc. has offered Joe a new occupancy agreement to remain in his apartment. The full board has authorized the Executive Committee to negotiate this agreement. The Fox’s generosity is consistent in this agreement and he will continue to be able to live at the Fox rent free, and the Fox will continue to pay the majority of his utilities as we have for the last 31 years. It appears that Joe has been misinformed by his advisors. To be clear - Joe is welcome to live here as long as he is able."
    The Fox Theatre seems to be getting a lot of negative publicity out of this
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/24833040/detail.html

Katrice Forbes still can’t believe what happened in a Dollar General store last Thursday.

Store surveillance video captured a man exposing himself to Forbes’ 10-year-old daughter in the rear of the store. The store is located near the Cobb-Douglas County line.

Channel 2 Action News reporter Ross Cavitt obtained the video from the Douglas County's Sheriff Office. Investigators said the man seen on tape is believed to have exposed himself to young children on several occasions.

“We’ve had a couple of calls. We believe this has happened several times and we’re going to find this guy,” the Sheriff’s Office said.

By releasing the video, the Sheriff’s Office hopes someone will recognize the man so deputies can get him off the streets.

“We’re looking for this guy diligently as we speak” the Sheriff’s Office said.
    Go to the link and watch the video of the news broadcast. He's a perv, etc (before the self-righteous outrage starts), but my WTF moment here is actually why the fuck is the guy trolling dollar stores looking for kiddies to flash?

There are two squirrels taking turns humping each other in my backyard. They've been at it this whole week.

Does it make you horny baby? [/austin powers voice]
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    Nogling...Nice to see you!

Ok, As to the poor bitch in the coffee shop...I think I can speak with a little authority here! I have worked in the service industries longer than most here have been alive! p The customer is ALWAYS right! I don't fucking care how loud she yells or whatever...she is ALWAYS right! At least that's what those of us who started out in the late 70's were taught!
    Fuck that.

"The customer is always the customer" (more meaning than is obvious) and "there is no point arguing with a customer, you can never win the argument but only lose the customer" are the best 2 expressions I've heard regarding service. If someone starts abusing a member of staff then they are no longer to be welcomed and therefore are no longer a customer. A customer may be right, but she is not a customer anymore the moment she became abusive.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Fuck that.

"The customer is always the customer" (more meaning than is obvious) and "there is no point arguing with a customer, you can never win the argument but only lose the customer" are the best 2 expressions I've heard regarding service. If someone starts abusing a member of staff then they are no longer to be welcomed and therefore are no longer a customer. A customer may be right, but she is not a customer anymore the moment she became abusive.
    Agreed 100% which is why I would never work in retail again, you never know which customer is going to be a nutjob. At least in wholesale you already know which ones are the nutjobs and can formulate a method for dealing them - fight nutjobs with nutjobs is our motto.
    Such is Life...

For almost 60 years there has been a theatre in Amsterdam with the name Nieuwe de la Mar (the New de la Mar). Two years ago that theatre was torn down alongside a bunch of buildings around it to make place for a much bigger theatre with multiple stages. Today I happened to see a brochure with the programming of the new place, and it turns out the new theatre will go by the name De la Mar. So that means the actual new De la Mar will - other than the old theatre not have the word 'New' in its name.
    Congratulations America

Baby carrot farmers are launching a campaign that pitches the little, orange, crunchy snacks as daring, fun and naughty - just like junk food.

A group of 50 producers hopes the 'Eat 'Em Like Junk Food' effort starting next week will double the $1 billion market in two or three years.

The goal is to get people to think of baby carrots as a brand they can get excited about - not just a plain, old vegetable. A website, www.babycarrots.com, features metal music and deep male voices chanting "Baby. Carrots. Extreme." On social networking site Twitter, the campaign's account suggests people eat them "like there's no tomorrow (maybe there won't be...)"

"This campaign is about turning baby carrots into a brand," said Jeff Dunn, CEO of Bolthouse Farms, the nation's top baby carrot producer with 50 percent of the market, and the most to gain if the market grows. "We think ultimately long-term here we're going to turn it into a very vital brand in the mind of consumers."

The plan begins in Cincinnati and Syracuse, N.Y., and will take at least a year to go national.

But carrot eaters around the country will get a taste of baby carrots' attempt at attitude with Scarrots next month. The Halloween version of baby carrots will come in spooky packaging and have glow-in-the-dark temporary tattoos, ideal for giving out to trick-or-treaters, Dunn said.

The marketing campaign by Crispin Porter + Bogusky, known for its edgy advertising of Burger King and Old Navy, will cost about $25 million.

Television ads depict futuristic scientists studying crunch, a woman lusting after carrots and carrot sports featuring a young man who launches off a snowy mountain top in a grocery cart and catches in his mouth a carrot shot by a gun below. There are also billboards with messages like "Our crunch can beat up your crunch" and carrot vending machines in schools.

Stores will carry new packaging in crinkly, festive bags reminiscent of chip bags with designs that mimic the ads. There's a bright green one with a hip red bunny wearing sunglasses, and dark, futuristic packaging with bright orange lines coming out of a carrot.

The carrot group and its agency studied other campaigns - such as the "Drink Milk" effort" - and decided to push further with baby carrots, beyond marketing the benefits of the vegetables.

"You didn't need to talk about any of the health benefits. Everyone knows carrots are good for you," said Tiffany Rolfe, vice president and group creative director at Crispin, Porter + Bogusky. "Our goal was to separate it from being a vegetable as much as possible, to create a new category for carrots."

Sales of baby carrots - which are, in fact, not babies at all but rather small, peeled carrot shapes cut from larger ones - have fallen in the mid-single digits in the past two years as people spend less in the down economy, Dunn said. That includes buying bigger carrots and cutting them up themselves to save money.

Baby carrots were introduced in the mid- to late 1980s, created for their convenience of being an easy snack. Sales grew quickly in the first 10 to 15 years, but the growth tapered off, Dunn said.

For now the campaign will roll out gradually and focus on marketing. But Dunn, a former president and chief operating officer of Coca-Cola North America, said new variations could be developed, including baby carrots with ranch flavoring.

"How high is up?" he said of the market's potential. "That's the real question, what's possible here? We put it out there, and we'll learn and evolve."
    Lusting after carrots? A baby carrot is far too small, and a non-baby carrot is too skinny.

Now if someone puts out a commercial with women lusting after cucumbers I'll believe it.

Seems like a good thing to me - anything to wean der kiddiewinkles off nasty junk snacks.

Carrots are 100x tastier than chocs and chips and shit, and 1000x better for you.

P'ticularly fresh 'n cold, chopped into slices, and with a freshly made tzatziki dip. Mmm mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Of course snacking on veggies is better (but carrots are gross).

Using dip kind of defeats the purpose of a healthy snack, though - unless it is low-fat, low calorie.

My son likes carrots dipped in fat-free ranch.

The Halloween version of baby carrots will come in spooky packaging and have glow-in-the-dark temporary tattoos, ideal for giving out to trick-or-treaters, Dunn said.

Aye indeed - just pure fruit n veg is the ultimate snack.

An apple a day ...
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

I got some of the best plums last week in my produce basket (awesome thing, that - $15 a week for a very generous basket of fresh fruits and veggies).

Produce basket - is that like from a local farmer's market or similar? All locally-sourced and non-supermarket-branded?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Produce basket - is that like from a local farmer's market or similar? All locally-sourced and non-supermarket-branded?
    Sort of - they buy in bulk from the Atlanta Farmer's market for the best prices, then split it up. Mostly local and non-supermarket branded - although there has been a bunch of bananas in the basket each week since I started this. Nicer nanas than I can get at the supermarket usually, though - the three my son saved so I could make him banana bread (he always does this with bananas) are still not overripe enough for it yet.

'Nanas ripen in no time.

Sometimes it's an effort to eat a bunch quickly enough! But then I only average one a day - in a household of one!

EDIT. In fact, think I'll go grab one.

Only in Japan, Real Men Go to a Hotel With Virtual Girlfriends

Dating-Simulation Game a Last Resort For Honeymoon Town and Its Lonely Guests

By DAISUKE WAKABAYASHI

ATAMI, Japan—This resort town, once popular with honeymooners, is turning to a new breed of romance seekers—virtual sweethearts.

In Love Plus, a Japanese dating simulation game, players experience young romance with a virtual girlfriend. Some have even taken their beloved avatars to an island resort -- a real island resort. WSJ's Akiko Fujita takes a tour of Atami.

Since the marriage rate among Japan's shrinking population is falling and with many of the country's remaining lovebirds heading for Hawaii or Australia's Gold Coast, Atami had to do something. It is trying to attract single men—and their handheld devices.

In the first month of the city's promotional campaign launched July 10, more than 1,500 male fans of the Japanese dating-simulation game LovePlus+ have flocked to Atami for a romantic date with their videogame character girlfriends.

The men are real. The girls are cartoon characters on a screen. The trips are actual, can be expensive and aim to re-create the virtual weekend outing featured in the game, a product of Konami Corp. played on Nintendo Co.'s DS videogame system.

Japan Real Time

Virtual Girls, Real Boys
    "Atami has always been a romantic place, but it is now a romantic place for a modern generation," says Sakae Saito, Atami's mayor.

Love Plus+ re-creates the experience of an adolescent romance. The goal isn't just to get the girl but to maintain a relationship with her.

After choosing one of three female characters—goodie-goodie Manaka, sassy Rinko or big-sister type Nene—to be a steady girlfriend, the player taps a stylus on the DS touch-screen in order to walk hand-in-hand to school, exchange flirtatious text messages and even meet in the school courtyard for a little afternoon kiss. Using the device's built-in microphone, the player can carry on sweet, albeit mundane, conversations.

If the real-life Romeo earns enough "boyfriend power" points—by completing game tasks like homework or exercise to become smarter and more buff—the reward is a virtual trip to Atami.

In the game, the couple tours the local landmarks. The girlfriend changes into a yukata, a casual summer kimono, to go see the fireworks, and then they stay overnight at the Hotel Ohnoya. It is known for its cavernous, white-columned baths in the style of Ancient Rome.

In his first visit to the real-life Atami, Love Plus+ gamer Shunsuke Kato planned to walk around the city and see the sights familiar to him from playing the game. One small hitch: his girlfriend, Manaka, was giving him the silent treatment.

She was upset that he had been so busy at work that he had been playing the game only 10 minutes a day. "On days off, I spend one to two hours with her. I guess, compared to the people who come here, our relationship is a bit lukewarm," said Mr. Kato.

Located at the bend of the Japanese archipelago and a one-hour train ride from Tokyo, Atami has definitely seen better days.

The number of overnight visitors has dropped by half from the peak in the late 1960s. The main shopping area has many boarded-up storefronts—a lot of them defunct bars, clubs and other remnants of the city's heyday as an entertainment mecca.

The city is going all-out to indulge ardent Love Plus+ fans.

At the real Hotel Ohnoya, which opened its doors in 1937, the staff is trained to check in Love Plus+ customers as couples even if there is only one actual guest. Says Atsurou Ohno, the hotel's managing director, "We try not to ask too many questions because we want them to be able to remain immersed in that game world."

Some devoted fans will go so far as to pay twice the rate—most hotels in Japan charge per guest not per room—to indulge the fantasy that they are not there alone. A night's stay, at most, can cost $500 though many rooms are cheaper.

In Atami, the Love Plus+ fans—mostly men in their twenties and thirties—stand out. Unlike the deeply tanned beach crowd wearing very little, they are often pasty and overdressed for the heat in heavy jeans and button-down shirts.

Tatsuya Fukazawa, a 19-year-old college student, was visiting Atami for the first time on a recent weekend. In a small waist bag, he carried his Nintendo DS. Once he turned on the device, his virtual girlfriend Manaka Takane—a Libra who enjoys making pastries—greeted him in a syrupy sweet voice.

"There isn't a lot of romance in my life and this helps me cope with some of the loneliness," said Mr. Fukazawa with a chuckle.

Adding real elements to the virtual relationships is central to the Love Plus+ series. The games can be synched up to an actual calendar and clock, which means playing the game too late at night might mean that the virtual girlfriend is already asleep. Players are expected to remember important dates like birthdays and holidays.

Journal CommunityDISCUSS
    “And with a flip of the switch I can turn her off if she starts to nag me! ”
    —Michael Jones
    Local businesses are feeling the love.

Yamadaya, a shop selling processed fish cakes on Atami's main shopping street, started offering special Love Plus+ fish cakes at the end of July. On top of a rubbery square white cake about the size of piece of toast, Yamadaya draws the characters' faces using black squid ink. At 450 yen ($5.30), the store has been selling out its daily allotment of 150 cakes—50 for each girl.

Korean barbecue-inspired restaurant Hien says a quarter of its customers are currently game-related. For 5,000 yen, customers get a special Love Plus+ menu of Japanese beef and side dishes.

Kanji Nagasawa, Hien's owner, says he is accustomed to making small talk with customers, but the Love Plus+ crowd often sits in silence and plays the game while eating.

"We've been stunned," Mr. Nagasawa said, "how happy this makes those customers."

Alas, the boom ends this month, when the imaginary characters have to go back to school.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Tabs%3Darticle

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...06/3003247.htm

ELO star killed by bale of hay

RIP: Former ELO cellist Mike Edwards A founding member of rock group Electric Light Orchestra has been killed after a giant bale of hay tumbled down a hill and crashed onto his van.

Cellist Mike Edwards died after the 600-kilogram bale careered down a steep field, smashed through a hedge and onto the road in Devon, south-west England.
    The 62-year-old died instantly.
    "This was a tragic accident and we have now identified the victim as Michael Edwards, a founder member of ELO," said Sergeant Steve Walker of the Devon and Cornwall police traffic unit.
    "We have used photographs and YouTube footage to identify him but we now need help contacting his family for formal identification."
    ELO have sold more than 50 million records worldwide.
    - AFP
    Hay Look OUT!
    Such is Life...

RIP

ELO were a truly amazing band, what a tragicly absurd way to go

"We have used ... YouTube footage to identify him" not sure if to be or or about that.

Looks like country's....Making a come-back

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    RIP

ELO were a truly amazing band, what a tragicly absurd way to go

"We have used ... YouTube footage to identify him" not sure if to be or or about that.
    Yeah it was just made to be a WTF? thread entry...

Still 62 isn't a bad age for a musician to bale out....
    Such is Life...

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Looks like country's....Making a come-back

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

Wrong order.

Looks like country's...

... making a come-back.

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH!
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I don't actually watch the show
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I think it's not about the show, but about the show parody comics.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

I know, but it's hard to parody something you vaguely remember

Okay, not hard, I just sucked at it, because dementia

Roy Barnes fueled up at a labor union cookout Monday, a traditional Labor Day haunt for vote-seeking Democrats. Barnes will need the backing of reliable traditional Democrats in a state that has become predictably Republican. Yet he has tried to distance himself from the national party and the unpopular president who leads it.

"I consider myself an independent Democrat, more in the mold of (former US Senators) Sam Nunn and Richard Russell and Zell Miller, than I do out of the national Democratic party," Barnes told 11 Alive News.

Republican Nathan Deal says he wasn't invited to the cookout. He walked in a Labor Day parade in Douglasville, seeking votes among spectators after spending most of the last month raising money for the fall campaign. Deal will have help from the well-funded Republican Governors association, which is painting Barnes as a Democrat in lockstep with President Obama.

"He had to get a (campaign contribution) refund, he was so enthusiastic about supporting the Obama presidency," Deal said of Barnes.

Deal says national politics will legitimately trickle into the governors race, to the detriment of Barnes.

"I think the Obama presidency is one of those pervading issues that's affecting the entire country right now. Certainly the popularity of programs he has been pushing such as the health care reform legislation -- all of that is resonating with the American public, and Georgians too," said Deal.

But Barnes rejects the link with the national party. Even while stumping among traditional Democrats, Barnes said Democrats are part of the problem.
    "I'm critical of Republicans and Democrats on health care. We knew we had to do something. And it's the greatest failure of leadership I have seen in my lifetime, is they couldn't get together and do something," said Barnes.
    Welcome to Georgia... where Democrats pretend to be Republicans (or are batshit insane black women named Cynthia McKinney).

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Ran across an auctioning site today where I had to ask myself: Scam or ineptitude?

It's this site: www.bestkaufen.de

For a moment, I was honestly tempted, considering that most auctions ended at around 0400 and I have a bit of spare time at my hands. However, then I noticed some facts which made me reconsider quite fast:
    a) No CAPTCHA system while registering. None at all.
    b) No confirmation e-mail
    c) In fact, while usernames are required to be unique, e-mail adresses aren't.
    d) Every new user gets two 'credits' for free (which are needed to place a bid)

The combination of the facts above mean that anybody with a bit of scripting language knowledge can fake the proper GET and POST requests to create 10,000 users on the fly.
    Then you just need to monitor the proper variables and place a bid when needed. VoilĂ*!

Which evidently someone already did, since there's someone placing bids with a name of "utenteXXXXX" with X being random numbers.

I'm seeing two possibilities here, with a hybrid third:
    a) Ineptitude - the guys really don't have a clue. Since their business model rests on people buying credits, this messes just a tiny bit with it since the bot user doesn't need to buy any.
    b) Scam - the guys are running the bot themselves. In this case, they're also a bit inept since I myself would've used a proper dictionary to choose names from. Or the whole site is a scam and there are neither prices nor users.

Hybrid: The guys started with a) and noticed that the bot running earned them money because other people would (futilely) try to buy credits in order to bid.

So, your verdict?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

That one of those sites that costs a credit to bid and you have to buy credits in bulk? So even though that $500 iPad went for $100, the site made several hundred dollars on bidding alone...
    We've got a few of those over here the papers say are legit, but its a business model thats to easy for morons to pass up, so you get a lot of crappy and failed attempts.

The Maricopa County Attorney's Office has chosen not to prosecute Arizona Department of Corrections staff in the death of inmate Marcia Powell.

Powell, 48, died May 20, 2009, after being kept in a human cage in Goodyear's Perryville Prison for at least four hours in the blazing Arizona sun. This, despite a prison policy limiting such outside confinement to a maximum of two hours.

The county medical examiner found the cause of death to be due to complications from heat exposure. Her core body temperature upon examination was 108 degrees Fahrenheit. She suffered burns and blisters all over her body.

Witnesses say she was repeatedly denied water by corrections officers, though the c.o.'s deny this. The weather the day she collapsed from the heat (May 19 -- she died in the early morning hours of May 20) arched just above a 107 degree high.

According to a 3,000 page report released by the ADC, she pleaded to be taken back inside, but was ignored. Similarly, she was not allowed to use the restroom. When she was found unconscious, her body was covered with excrement from soiling herself.
    Powell, who was serving a 27-month sentence for prostitution, actually expired after being transported to West Valley Hospital, where acting ADC Director Charles Ryan made the decision to have her life support suspended.

(Ryan lacked the authority to do this, but that's another story, which you can read about, here.)

ADC conducted its own criminal investigation into Powell's agonizing demise. The information I have indicates that ADC submitted its conclusions to the county attorney earlier this year. (Please see update below.) ADC was seeking charges of negligent homicide against at least seven c.o.'s, as well as related charges against other prison staff.

Why didn't the county attorney's office pursue those charges? Apparently, they didn't think they could prevail in court.

County attorney spokesman Bill Fitzgerald issued the following terse statement.

"There is insufficient evidence to go forward with a prosecution against any of the named individuals," he e-mailed me, declining to elaborate further.

Donna Hamm of the advocacy group Middle Ground Prison Reform wasn't buying it.

"Having read the bulk of those 3,000 pages of reports," she told me, "if someone in a prosecutorial position can't find a crime in those pages, they have absolutely no credibility in my opinion."

Hamm noted that guards passed Powell several times throughout her stay in the cage, and that some mocked her pleas for water. As for c.o. claims that Powell was given water, Hamm countered that Powell's eyes "were as dry as parchment," and that the autopsy results show there was no sign of hydration.

Hamm was incredulous that the county attorney couldn't find enough evidence to bring charges.

"It's just beyond comprehension," she stated. "This is the same office that has prosecuted mothers who left their babies in a couple of inches of water to go outside and take a cell phone call or look in the mail."

She also cited the case of "Buffalo Soldier" Charles Long, who was prosecuted by the MCAO for negligent homicide in the 2001 death of a kid who had enrolled in his program for troubled teens and died after being exposed to the heat and put in a bath, where he inhaled water.

The ADC did make some reforms in the wake of Powell's death. It was discovered that the cages were being used to control unruly prisoners, and the ADC claims this practice has stopped. However, Hamm says she has uncovered a case of a man in a Tucson facility who, earlier this year, was held all day and overnight in an outside cage.

Some 16 prison employees were sanctioned in one way or another as a result of the Powell incident, and some were fired. But Hamm says she believes some of those sanctioned have been reinstated.

The outdoor cages are still in use, but have been retrofitted to provide shade, misters, water stations, and benches, which, ironically, Hamm says are metal, and would thus soak up the heat. She's toured ADC facilities to see the redone cages, and admits that changes are positive, but too late to save Powell's life, obviously.

"All the retrofitting in the world is worthless if the staff doesn't follow the policy," she insisted.

Powell had been diagnosed as mentally ill, and was on more than one psychotropic drug, drugs that increased her sensitivity to heat, sunlight and lack of water. All the more reason, according to Hamm, that prison staff should be held accountable.

The only next of kin that was located for Powell was an aged, adoptive mother in California, who had not had contact with Powell for years, and did not want to take possession of the remains.

So, with the help of Hamm and others, Powell's ashes were interred last year at Phoenix's Shadow Rock Church of Christ.

Brophy College Preparatory School also dedicated a plaque to Powell on school grounds this year.

But with no one with standing to bring a federal lawsuit (Hamm says the deadline for a state lawsuit has expired), and with the MCAO unwilling to bring a case against those responsible for Powell's well-being, there looks to be no justice for the schizophrenic deceased woman.

I asked Hamm what this means for the case.

"It means they've gotten away with the most colossal example of brutality I have seen against a female prisoner in the history of the Arizona Department of Corrections," remarked Hamm, adding, "And they got off scot-free."

Update, 9/1/10 2:29 PM: ADC spokesman Barrett Marson told me today that the ADC submitted its criminal investigation to the MCAO back on August 20, 2009. He said he did not know if the ADC asked for charges on certain employees.
    Meanwhile, Pentagon Pedos escape prosecution.

Some animals, equality, yada