To have said goodbye to things!

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    CANNOT UNSEE
    I enjoy blank walls.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...283093059.html
    Schröder rejects Bush assertion he initially backed US-led war on Iraq

DEREK SCALLY in Berlin
    Thu, Nov 11, 2010
    FORMER GERMAN chancellor Gerhard Schröder has dismissed as “untrue” claims that, initially, he was a supporter of a US-led war on Iraq.
    The claim, made by former US president George W Bush in his memoirs, has revived an old enmity between the two leaders that damaged bilateral relations ahead of the Iraq war.
    In his memoir Decision Points , Mr Bush remembers hitting it off with Mr Schröder initially and being impressed by his support after the September 11th attacks.
    Just four months later, in January 2002, Mr Bush recalls discussing with Mr Schröder the growing stand-off between the US and Saddam Hussein over allegations that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction.
    After he judged diplomacy with Iraq had been exhausted, Mr Bush recalls in his memoirs telling the German leader how he was prepared to use military force against Iraq.
    According to Mr Bush, Mr Schröder replied: “What is true of Afghanistan is true of Iraq. Nations that sponsor terror must face consequences. If you make it fast and make it decisive, I will be with you.”
    Mr Bush said he took this as a “statement of support” and was dismayed when Mr Schröder took a different view later that year.
    “As someone who valued personal diplomacy, I put a high premium on trust,” wrote Mr Bush. “Once that trust was violated, it was hard to have a constructive relationship again.”
    In the autumn of 2002, Mr Schröder came from behind to win re-election after using stump speeches to denounce the US “military misadventures” in Iraq.
    Yesterday the German leader said his January 2002 support for an invasion of Iraq was not as presented by Mr Bush. “The former president of the United States is not telling the truth,” he said.
    “I made clear that Germany would stand beside the US should Iraq . . . prove to have provided protection and hospitality to al-Qaeda fighters. As it became clear during 2002, this connection was false and misconstrued.”
    In his own memoirs, Mr Schröder was far from flattering of the US president, dismissing his “near-biblical semantics”.
    He expressed concern that Mr Bush gave the impression that his “political decisions are a result of this conversation with God”.
    According to Mr Schröder’s former spokesman Uwe Karsten-Heye, Berlin realised early on that they were dealing with a man of a “low intelligence threshold who had no idea what was going on”.
    © 2010 The Irish Times
    Or, from another news article:

"We noticed that the intellectual reach of the president of the most important nation at the time was exceptionally low," Uwe-Karsten Heye, who was Schroeder's spokesman at the time, told German news channel N24, according to the Telegraph. "For this reason, it was difficult to communicate with him. He had no idea what was happening in the world. He was so fixated on being a Texan. I think he knew every longhorn in Texas."
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

At least Bush wasn't a traitor. For all bad policies Bush implemented, at least he didn't jeopardize his country's national security just to get a cushy job from another country.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    At least Bush wasn't a traitor. For all bad policies Bush implemented, at least he didn't jeopardize his country's national security just to get a cushy job from another country.
    News to me. How did he "jeopardize Germany's national security"?

That I must hear.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

If you don't count going into a war based on lies treason

Anyway, I didn't post it because I agreed with it, but I read it and found the insults amusing No need to react to everything this serious, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    News to me. How did he "jeopardize Germany's national security"?

That I must hear.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard..._controversies

So let's see, he does something that enjoys no German popular support, wasn't seriously debated, undermined the unity of the EU, didn't mention his conflict of interest, and then promptly got a cushy job working for that same project the second he left office.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    If you don't count going into a war based on lies treason

Anyway, I didn't post it because I agreed with it, but I read it and found the insults amusing No need to react to everything this serious, man.
    Well the post was about who we can trust. I'd rather trust an idiot than a traitor.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard..._controversies

So let's see, he does something that enjoys no German popular support, wasn't seriously debated, undermined the unity of the EU, didn't mention his conflict of interest, and then promptly got a cushy job working for that same project the second he left office.
    And you define that as "national security"? Good god, man, by that measure Bush should have been stood against the wall at least thrice now!

Well the post was about who we can trust. I'd rather trust an idiot than a traitor.
    What about an idiot traitor?

When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Looking at the end results, the traitor seems far more preferable than the idiot.

Emphasis on "from another country"
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Emphasis on "from another country"
    It's much harder to betray your own country and get a job in the same country.

Have you seen the fallout from the Wikileaks shit? Mission fucking accomplished, they managed the reverse of all they supposedly intended
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Have you seen the fallout from the Wikileaks shit? Mission fucking accomplished, they managed the reverse of all they supposedly intended
    You mean in terms of Assange destroying himself?

No

Then what? Haven't heard much since the last leak (except Russia making veiled threats after WikiLeaks threatened to expose some Russian secrets).

You remember those cartoons about the link to al-qaida?

Turns out that after you guys fucked everything up, Iraq is a much more fertile ground for recruitment

In terms of attacking Americans in Iraq or elsewhere? Haven't really heard of Iraqi terrorists operating outside of Iraq.

In terms of attacking Americans in Iraq or elsewhere? Haven't really heard of Iraqi terrorists operating outside of Iraq.
    And they did before the invasion?

The justification for going into Iraq after the WMD thing turned out to be bogus was humanitarian concerns. (I won't touch on the inherent idiocy of waging war in the interests of human rights and well-being) Iraq has more al-Qaida members, training and recruitment than it did prior to the invasion. Iraqis are killing one another at a pace much more advanced than under Saddam. In addition American forces are lobbing Hellfire missiles on people randomly, willy-nilly. Of course now they're leaving, so only Iraqi-on-Iraqi violence will remain, but quantifiably the US invasion added to the total of Iraqi human suffering. The easy solution is to say Iraqi nationals are not humans, or at least not worthy of human rights, but again that flies right in the face of the rationale behind this little nation-building exercise.

The justification for going into Iraq after the WMD thing turned out to be bogus was humanitarian concerns. (I won't touch on the inherent idiocy of waging war in the interests of human rights and well-being) Iraq has more al-Qaida members, training and recruitment than it did prior to the invasion. Iraqis are killing one another at a pace much more advanced than under Saddam. In addition American forces are lobbing Hellfire missiles on people randomly, willy-nilly. Of course now they're leaving, so only Iraqi-on-Iraqi violence will remain, but quantifiably the US invasion added to the total of Iraqi human suffering. The easy solution is to say Iraqi nationals are not humans, or at least not worthy of human rights, but again that flies right in the face of the rationale behind this little nation-building exercise.
    Yeah, but we knew all that before WikiLeaks. I thought you were referring to some new revelation.

You're skipping over the media storm that Collateral Murder created, at least I figured thats why she brought up the hellfire missiles. Don't remember anything we did over there reaching that level of coverage, even as far back as when we blew up the wedding at the beginning of the invasion. The fact your immediately tried to alter it into a form personally againist Assange, as you've done before when wikileaks was discussed, was a little humorous however.

As far as I could tell, the media already forgot about it.

american media, and how does that mean that there was no fallout? What they release, with the right framing, hell of a propaganda tool.

Propaganda tool for whom? Is it going to convince anyone who wasn't already convinced?

and you fail to see how that question (or more directly, the answer) relates to what the thread has been discussing for the last ~15 posts?

Yeah, but we knew all that before WikiLeaks. I thought you were referring to some new revelation.
    We might've known it in the Leonard Cohen sense, but now there's numbers and an actual paper trail.

Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

We have chickens on the property

Ybor is slightly famous for them, but thats a good 10 miles away. I've lived in this general area my entire life, and I've never seen them this far south. Then all of a sudden 5 chickens just appeared in the back yard. They roam all over the neighborbood but keep coming back. I assume to eat the cat and dog food. Brandy has the worst guard dogs ever!
    Kids named them all already, one is called KFC

Will you be frying it or grilling it?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.