Page 43 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Better to honor him than to have kids learn. That's a good set of priorities.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Sounds like a good learning opportunity to me, but when was this decided? Sounds like really short notice to change holidays around, people commonly make plans when the parents and children are scheduled to be off together....

I assume sometime this week to make up for the snow days. The state only allows 4, and many counties are over that already with all the crazy weather this year.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

We only have to make up 1 of the missed days (that bugs me a lot).

(up to 4 are allowed by the state, so those school systems may have 1 or two others from the snow/ice in December, I don't know)

So they are making a deliberate choice and saying that MLK day isn't important. Personally, I wish my kids were going back to school Monday, not Tuesday.

Sex-change case funded through Australian Defence Force

DEFENCE force chiefs have agreed to pay for the sex change operation of a soldier who wants to return to her old job training Diggers in extreme sports after her surgery.

Army Captain Matthew Clinch, who served twice in East Timor, will become Bridget Clinch after gender reassignment-realignment surgery, funded by taxpayers.
    Rest of it here.

Waste of tax payers money. Fund your own sex change.

How's this different to any other mental health issue? As long as the military pays for medical treatment for soldiers, it can hardly refuse paying for a treatment that would vastly improve a soldier's mental condition.

Treating actual, life-threatening illnesses, yes the ADF has reason to pay for the treatment but if the person has a mental health issue, then they shouldn't be working for the ADF. And if wanting to be the other sex is causing you so much distress where it really does become a mental health issue, then I may as well get a job in the ADF, claim that I'm deeply insecure of my physical appearance and wish to have certain alterations/plastic surgery done to my body. I can think of other analogies, not only working for the ADF but other government sectors. For the record, I'm not against the sex change, just the means to fund it.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    Treating actual, life-threatening illnesses, yes the ADF has reason to pay for the treatment but if the person has a mental health issue, then they shouldn't be working for the ADF. And if wanting to be the other sex is causing you so much distress where it really does become a mental health issue, then I may as well get a job in the ADF, claim that I'm deeply insecure of my physical appearance and wish to have certain alterations/plastic surgery done to my body. I can think of other analogies, not only working for the ADF but other government sectors. For the record, I'm not against the sex change, just the means to fund it.
    Say, you don't really know anything about sex change issues, don't you?

Thought as much.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    Except the person in question is a decorated veteran and served two tours in Timor. Have you?

A centuries-old Russian prison notorious for its primitive conditions will soon offer inmates a new perk - tanning beds.

The ITAR-Tass news agency on Sunday cited federal prisons service Viktor Dezhurov as saying the tanning beds at Moscow's Butyrskaya prison will be ready for observances of its 240-year anniversary this year.

Dezhurov was quoted as saying the tanning beds are meant to compensate for inadequate sunlight in the cells. But inmates will have to pay and at 10 rubles (33 cents) a minute, that's a sizable fee in a country where the average monthly salary is well under $1,000.

The prison's dismal conditions attracted wide attention in 2009 after the death of Sergei Magnitsky, a young lawyer who died of pancreas disease there after inadequate medical care.
    heh

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Say, you don't really know anything about sex change issues, don't you?

Thought as much.
    Well I knew someone who had one yet she managed to save up the money herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Except the person in question is a decorated veteran and served two tours in Timor. Have you?
    Weak argument. So I'll change my hypothetical situation, and this time I'll go to Iraq where I save a few innocent civilians, and once I become a veteran I'll claim I have a low self esteem because of my physical appearance and have my surgery charged on the peoples tab.

Free health care in the military is understandable, but it crosses the line when it's to do with a persons physical appearance (unless they're a burns victim or something of the kind) and the tax paying citizen shouldn't be charged for it. On top of the welfare that's provided to drug addicts and pregnant teenage mothers, it's quite a burden.

http://www.wsbtv.com/weather/26516949/detail.html

Ha, I'm sure the Revs. et al. will be pleased to know that the sanctity of MLK-day has been maintained.

Divine intervention?

What's with people being really touchy around here lately? Have I missed something?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    What's with people being really touchy around here lately? Have I missed something?
    Yes. And it's all your fault. As if you didn't know that. So don't act the innocent please!

Spoiler:
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Everyone's panties are too tight.

And you know where you boys keep your brains, right?

Oooh, oooh, I know that one!

It's our penis!

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Everyone's panties are too tight.

And you know where you boys keep your brains, right?
    Everyone's panties has a dick hole in them.

Working in retail has given me a more dismal view of the number of people who feel they are entitled to things, and are willing to steal them even though they have more than enough money to pay for the items they feel entitled to. So far, if we were to actually be able to catch the people associated with the evidence of a theft left behind, and acted Lewkowskian in our methods of dealing with it, we'd be on track to execute more people than Texas does per year...
    . . .

Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Why is this a WTF moment? It's not like the good folks at Comcast can screw up Syfy any more than it already is.

Obama's administration has taken over where GW's left off -- anti-trust regulations are ignored. Comcast will own radio, broadcast TV, and distribution. Imagine subscription descramblers for OTA TV.

Anti-trust being ignored?

The conditions attached to the deal as stated in the article seems to say the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowheart View Post
    Anti-trust being ignored?

The conditions attached to the deal as stated in the article seems to say the opposite.
    Conditions don't have the force of law behind them let alone the force of regulation. In fact GW directed the FCC to ignore its own regulations to allow the consolidation of media outlets. This goes a step further and allows a distributor to consolidate all forms of media under one roof...magazines, newspapers, radio, TV, internet, and now distribution. It's a sad state of affairs for consumers but a boon to market manipulators (read propoganda).

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Everyone's panties has a dick hole in them.
    You sir have not seen enough panties then...you haven't been to a gay underwear party for a while I guess.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Conditions don't have the force of law behind them let alone the force of regulation. In fact GW directed the FCC to ignore its own regulations to allow the consolidation of media outlets. This goes a step further and allows a distributor to consolidate all forms of media under one roof...magazines, newspapers, radio, TV, internet, and now distribution. It's a sad state of affairs for consumers but a boon to market manipulators (read propoganda).
    Following regulations is kind of moot if you don't trust the regulators, eh?

Not a fan of the take over, and the article isn't written in a way to show me that the conditions for the merger will have any lasting effect to protect the industry(s); no time frames or pricing limits. Arbitration is bullshit too.

ATT's last take over (Bellsouth) also required them to offer to low cost broadband to the customer base that they were taking over. Didn't happen in any meaningful sense.

Haiti. Such a messed up place in so many ways. One year after their earthquake, and things are still in chaos. Millions living in tent cities, cholera, rioting in the streets. Now Baby Doc returns and Haitians are welcoming him....because over 50% of their population is under the age of 21 and doesn't remember Papa Doc or Baby Doc regimes. Too many orphans. Most of those who would remember are dead now. And they don't appear to have a press that can reach or educate them. They don't have the infrastructure for clean water, let alone "clean" information.

Sometimes I think the NGOs and charities working there are simply masking the very real and structural problems, and not doing more than making things worse by plugging holes in the dyke.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News...
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabam...nor_christians