Page 49 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    For the guys here who know a bit about computer languages: What is wrong with those code snippets?
    PHP Code:
    if ($_GET['ip'] && $_GET['pass']=='gehaim') {

$userip $_GET['ip'];
         echo 
    "!!!!!";
    }
    $x="/usr/sbin/arp -n ".$userip."|grep ".$userip."|cut -d\"r\" -f2|cut -d\" \" -f4";
    global 
    $echtmac;
    $echtmac=`$x`; 
    PHP Code:
    $qstring "SELECT `uid` FROM `user` ORDER BY `uid` DESC";

$row=abfrage($qstring,1);

$uid=$row[0]+1;

$d=$d."UiD: ".$uid."</br>";

$vname=$_POST[vorname];

$name=$_POST[nachname];

$qstring='insert into `user`(`vname`,`name`,`hnr`,`zimmer`,`mail`,`tel2`,`account`,`uni`,
              `unote`, `org`,`uid`,`nachricht`)
              '
    ."Values ('$_POST[vorname]' , '$_POST[nachname]'
              , '
    $_POST[hausnummer]', '$_POST[zimmernummer]', '$_POST[email]', '$_POST[telefon]'
              , '
    $_POST[account]', '$_POST[uni]', '$ztext' ,'$orgid','$uid','$num_nachricht' )";

$resulteinfuegen($qstring,1); 
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

For the first one, the line here:

$x="/usr/sbin/arp -n ".$userip."|grep ".$userip."|cut -d\"r\" -f2|cut -d\" \" -f4";

Its going to output as...

x = /usr/sbin/arp -n 172.16.254.1|grep 172.16.254.1|cut -d"r" -f2|cut -d" " -f4

If this what you want then it should be fine. Otherwise something I do when I make a complicated string like that is actually to echo the resultant string with the variables preset so I can see if I got it right.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    For the first one, the line here:

$x="/usr/sbin/arp -n ".$userip."|grep ".$userip."|cut -d\"r\" -f2|cut -d\" \" -f4";

Its going to output as...

x = /usr/sbin/arp -n 172.16.254.1|grep 172.16.254.1|cut -d"r" -f2|cut -d" " -f4

If this what you want then it should be fine. Otherwise something I do when I make a complicated string like that is actually to echo the resultant string with the variables preset so I can see if I got it right.
    Okay, I'll explain the problem. The problem is not so much the string, as where it comes from. Y'see, $userip stems directly from a GET-Variable (you see the page=49 part in the browser adress above? That would amount to $_GET["page"] = 49) which then is passed directly into the string. Without any validation that it is indeed an IP adress. Because then said string is executed directly in the shell. Which in turn means that as soon as you pass an "&&" into the variable, you can execute arbitrary commands on the server. It's SQL injection on steroids.

The second one (aside from having the potential for SQL injections) first gets ALL entries into the database only to get ONE entry (namely the latest) in order to obtain its uid (short for unique id). This uid is then incremented by one for the future entry.
    However, there's one small snag: What happens if there are two processes executing simultaneously? Yep, there will be two entries with the same uid.

The moron never heard of neither the SQL column attribute "UNIQUE" nor "AUTOINCREMENT".

That's only 2 small excerpts from the big pile of WTF? we have to deal with at the moment.

Working the phones today, and my first grade teacher called. She knew who I was based on my voice and first name. Even asked about my sister and mom.

I haven't spoken to this lady in almost 2 decades.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

She's a good teacher then , if she can remember her students. Unless you were so awful you left a permanent scar in her psyche.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    She's a good teacher then , if she can remember her students. Unless you were so awful you left a permanent scar in her psyche.
    It's the pupils with some kind of remarkable trait you remember - the jester, the eager beaver, the sluggard.

You don't remember mediocrity

This is true. I was joking with OG

I was a good kid, I swear! The teacher who called today is only 1 of 2 teachers that I have never forgotten from elementary school. She was so eccentric, and always had the socks + sandels thing going on
    She is also the one that suggested me for the gifted testing.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The english word "completed" can apparently cause offense somewhere in the world, somehow. I need to replace instances of that word with "finished". Sometimes I think internationalization crew is just fucking with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    The english word "completed" can apparently cause offense somewhere in the world, somehow. I need to replace instances of that word with "finished". Sometimes I think internationalization crew is just fucking with us.
    AIUI some people's translation of slang/vernacular for orgasmed might become 'completed'. I'm assuming you're not referring to orgasms in your work, but of course I could be wrong.

Your offered explanation makes sense enough to me - that seems to be the type of problem that triggers these things. The whole thing's a minefield though, and it gets frustrating with how many phrases and words become forbidden.

Before: I have not yet completed finishing the surface of this wood.
    After: I have not yet finished finishing the surface of this wood.

. . .

Moore just said that 400 people in the U.S. have more wealth than 50 % of the rest of U.S. households combined

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Moore just said that 400 people in the U.S. have more wealth than 50 % of the rest of U.S. households combined

He was referring to total wealth. Depending on how the numbers are crunched, he could be considered correct. It's common knowledge that the top 10% owns more (in wealth) than the other 90%. Not sure what his source is, but Fortune always names the top 500 in the world and in the US. Pretty sure it's the fault of teachers, cops, and firefighters. Those greedy bastards!

go go USA #1!

This decade is giving me some doubts as to my stance on the Soviet Union
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Somewhere in my car there is a poblano pepper. Unless this pepper grew legs and walked away while we were inside the supermarket, I mean.

So where the hell did the pepper go? It's not like there's a mess in there for it to hide under.

Damned escaping produce.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    He was referring to total wealth. Depending on how the numbers are crunched, he could be considered correct. It's common knowledge that the top 10% owns more (in wealth) than the other 90%. Not sure what his source is, but Fortune always names the top 500 in the world and in the US. Pretty sure it's the fault of teachers, cops, and firefighters. Those greedy bastards!

go go USA #1!
    But his quote is irrelevant. The STATE does not have this money (for whatever reason). Just because Donald Trump has oodles of cash has very little to do with the conversation. He is just as guilty of the 30 sec sound byte as those he rages against.

If the populace of Wisconsin want to tax the money holders in their state, then don't elect Republicans. Just don't be surprised when those money holders leave the state, and you are right back where you started.

The taxes were lowered to try to attract business from a neighboring state that just raised their rate. Was it a good idea right now? I'll leave that to Loki to ascertain.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Local News: big bust of underage drinking in my township. 21 people arrested, 4 over the age of 18, everyone else as juveniles. Very strange story, where my son's freshman peer ended up with a party at his house, with bunches of upper class attending and bringing booze. The household adult is a professor of physics at one of our private local colleges and adjunct professor at our local university extension. Sounds like he fell asleep upstairs (his wife was out of town) and his 15 year old hosted a huge party. When it got out of control, the kid and his freshmen friends simply left home and walked to a nearby 24 hour gas station. Someone called the cops at 3am. The cops arrived and gave everyone breathalyzers. Over 18 = arrest and jail. Under 18 = arrest and calling parents/guardians.

No news yet about the college prof "contributing to the delinquency of minors". But several kids were athletes and got benched. Right before our district "Meet the Team" rally. Thankfully, my son was smart enough to stay away from that kid's party (even tho they were altar boys at our church) and could smell trouble before it began. Suburban gossip is going nuts now, just like it did when star swimmers or basketball-football-soccer players lost college scholarships because of HS beer parties resulting in their arrests. SSDD. Go go USA #1!

Underage drinking is pretty commonplace here

Cops don't arrest them though, just pour out their booze and contact parents

Underage drinking is pretty commonplace here

Cops don't arrest them though, just pour out their booze and contact parents
    Underage drinking is common here, too. Even more common at our private college and state university extension than at a HS party. The cops probably wouldn't have noticed, if someone hadn't called them to complain. No idea why those people couldn't just walk to the house and ask to speak to the parent (there was one on site, just sleeping or something). Say hey, this party looks like it's out of control, really loud music, and a bunch of drunk kids. Call it off and get their parents to pick these kids up.

Suburban "drama" tells me there was a spat between neighbors. Not too long ago, the man across the street was busted for "possessing marijuana". One guess who called the cops? In the end it was teens that got caught in the middle.

I think legally speaking there's a whole host of reasons not to go anywhere near a place where you know underage drinking is happening, you're a "strange adult" and you can't know whether there are parents home.

I think legally speaking there's a whole host of reasons not to go anywhere near a place where you know underage drinking is happening, you're a "strange adult" and you can't know whether there are parents home.
    In this story, it was my son that exhibited good judgement, by avoiding the party altogether. Even though all the "cool" upper class students were planning to be there, and the boy has been his friend since pre-school.

An additional tidbit --- the son of the man I dated right after my divorce was arrested at the party. Kinda weird.

Turns out one of the children Brandy watches was a kidnap victim (domestic dispute), missing for around 9 months. She has youtube videos about her, facebook pages made in the hopes of finding her, online petitions asking for her safe return, and ~1600 google page results on her name.

She is also perhaps the coolest, most well behaved child Brandy has to watch.

My tax bill.

Asshole accountant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    My tax bill.

Asshole accountant.
    Ouch...
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Yeah. Ouch.

I asked and asked what I should take out of my pay for taxes. I was told several times, not to worry about it, that I will probably get money back in the first three years.
    Well, turns out I owe 1/3 of my income.
    He said, you should have told me you were doing so well.
    Fucking asshole CPA.

I am not an idiot, yet I feel like one for following the advice of this CPA, that was highly recommended to me.
    Now I am fuckked.

Why is a good idea to ever tell someone they won't owe, and not err on the side of owing.
    Needless to say, I am interviewing new accountants.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Turns out one of the children Brandy watches was a kidnap victim (domestic dispute), missing for around 9 months. She has youtube videos about her, facebook pages made in the hopes of finding her, online petitions asking for her safe return, and ~1600 google page results on her name.

She is also perhaps the coolest, most well behaved child Brandy has to watch.
    and the parent didn't know
    The child is old enough to remember the abduction, but its not a conversation piece with her parent. But the parent had no idea the the top youtube/google result for their child's name was the missing person equivalent of America's Most Wanted.

I'm sure she has never thought of googling her minor child's name.

My mom is one of those weirdos that googles everyone she knows. She finds interesting tidbits but I still find it odd that she does it.

Bitter, that doesn't sound right. Self-employed pay estimated income taxes quarterly. Never heard of one that didn't. Unless he was counting you as employed by your previous company for most of the year? You do know the IRS has fines for underpayment and late payment....