Page 52 of 137 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yes, you are being stubborn and cantankerous. If it's not about a law but a choice, then why the hell would you choose to not wear a seatbelt AND choose to not use a booster cushion? You'd rather hammer on the auto industry for not designing cars for little people, or hammer on law enforcement for enforcing safety laws? WTF is up with that?

I won't even engage your "hearing loss" excuses for not wearing a helmet. That's complete and utter bullshit. There are "skull cap" type helmets that don't cover the ears at all. You're just posting stupid shit now.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Yes, you are being stubborn and cantankerous. If it's not about a law but a choice, then why the hell would you choose to not wear a seatbelt AND choose to not use a booster cushion? You'd rather hammer on the auto industry for not designing cars for little people, or hammer on law enforcement for enforcing safety laws? WTF is up with that?
    I choose not to wear a seat belt because I don't like them, I think they are dangerous, they are uncomfortable, they are way too restrictive, and they lead to a false feeling of invincibility, especially among the young drivers! I haven't been hammering on the auto industry at all! I simply said there isn't a car designed that the seat belt can be lowered to my height! It's kind of the opposite of the dude that is 7.5 feet tall. There is no car designed that is comfortable for him either.

I occasionally choose to use a small pillow when I drive, depending on the car. In the Grand Am I had, it worked out nicely, raising me enough for the seat belt while still allowing for the curve of the seat to fit my lower back! Driving The ex-Friend's Grand Prix was entirely different. If I put a pillow under me, I didn't fit the seat properly for some reason, making driving a rather painful event! In Mommymunchkin's car, a pillow ensures I can't reach the brake pedal or the accelerator! Hmmm, think I might need to reach those for safety! The couple of times I have driven the pick-up that the gentleman who helps me owns, the seat was perfect in every way except 1. It fit my back great, the pedals were easy to reach, and all the controls were within my reach! The only "bad" thing was the seat belt! If I put a pillow under my ass, the seat doesn't fit me or my back, I can't reach the pedals easily, and the controls weren't easy to reach at all, but the seat belt fit fine, I guess!

So, it appears my choices in the above named vehicles (all different makes and models) are few. I can "fit" the seat belt and be likely to cause an accident because of the controls being out of reach or very unhandy, or I can "fit" the seat/car, drive safely, and leave the damned seat belt where it belongs, hanging down beside the seat!

I won't even engage your "hearing loss" excuses for not wearing a helmet. That's complete and utter bullshit. There are "skull cap" type helmets that don't cover the ears at all. You're just posting stupid shit now.
    Once again, my opinion of the general public in general appears to be more optimistic than others here. I believe that we are all capable of making our own choices regarding these safety issues, and government/law enforcement should butt the hell out! Why do we think we need someone to tell us how to behave? Why do we think we need someone to regulate safety? Why can't we just have our own opinions and choices? Why do we need to regulate everything to the point of becoming a nanny state? Why is the government so set on taking away the freedom of choice in these safety matters? Why are we not allowed to be adults who take care of themselves and who are perfectly capable of making these everyday choices on their own?
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Her logic is fail but I'll support her and everyone's right to make their own damn choices. Either we are pathetic cretins who must have big government watch over every bit of our lives or we believe Democracy is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Her logic is fail but I'll support her and everyone's right to make their own damn choices. Either we are pathetic cretins who must have big government watch over every bit of our lives or we believe Democracy is a good thing.
    Normally I'd agree, but seatbelt laws and such are a stupid thing to fight it over. In addition, when there's severe injuries, doesn't emergency care often tend to the victims without regards to insurance, only later hoping they will pay up? I was under the impression that taxpayers eventually have to foot not only that shortfall but the cost of emergency services (police, firefighers, ect) due to the incident. The problem with the Libertarian approach here is that the situation is never in a vacuum where the ideology can work. Unless of course you're Cain, who doesn't give a damn about them anyways, negating the human factor to all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by coinich View Post
    Normally I'd agree, but seatbelt laws and such are a stupid thing to fight it over. In addition, when there's severe injuries, doesn't emergency care often tend to the victims without regards to insurance, only later hoping they will pay up? I was under the impression that taxpayers eventually have to foot not only that shortfall but the cost of emergency services (police, firefighers, ect) due to the incident. The problem with the Libertarian approach here is that the situation is never in a vacuum where the ideology can work. Unless of course you're Cain, who doesn't give a damn about them anyways, negating the human factor to all of this.
    A few thoughts on this.

The cost of emergency service personal isn't cut and dry. If a seat belt save's the person's life and they didn't have insurance could they be costing society thousands of dollars to save them? If they weren't wearing a seat belt they would just be dead.

Or lets look at the cost so society of a 40 year old. If he dies he's paid SS/medicare for 20 years and he will never collect. In terms of pure financial analysis, hasn't society saved money by having him croak at that age? Now that's a cold way to look at it but if you're going to talk about financial burden on the rest of society then lets talk about it without other considerations.

The fact is that financing burden is not a reason to have seat belt laws (or at least not the primary one). The primary reason is to save lives. Banning fatty foots would probably save more lives, should we start that?

A few thoughts on this.

The cost of emergency service personal isn't cut and dry. If a seat belt save's the person's life and they didn't have insurance could they be costing society thousands of dollars to save them? If they weren't wearing a seat belt they would just be dead.

Or lets look at the cost so society of a 40 year old. If he dies he's paid SS/medicare for 20 years and he will never collect. In terms of pure financial analysis, hasn't society saved money by having him croak at that age? Now that's a cold way to look at it but if you're going to talk about financial burden on the rest of society then lets talk about it without other considerations.

The fact is that financing burden is not a reason to have seat belt laws (or at least not the primary one). The primary reason is to save lives. Banning fatty foots would probably save more lives, should we start that?
    I operated on the naive assumption that human life is precious. Emergency services should never be denied to someone in immediate need, and the cost of care shouldn't be an issue. Of course, if you don't live under that assumption, then my argument is a moot point in your mind.

She wasn't using "logic" at all. It's her choice to not wear a seatbelt or helmet, regardless of any law, even though safety data shows they save lives. She tried to claim her common sense and experience are better and smarter than physics, but doesn't apply that common sense to use available "tools" for really short drivers. Then she's okay with laws telling adults to put kids in seatbelts or helmets, or using "tools" like infant- toddler-child car seats, because they save lives.

She wasn't using "logic" at all. It's her choice to not wear a seatbelt or helmet, regardless of any law, even though safety data shows they save lives. She tried to claim her common sense and experience are better and smarter than physics, but doesn't apply that common sense to use available "tools" for really short drivers. Then she's okay with laws telling adults to put kids in seatbelts or helmets, or using "tools" like infant- toddler-child car seats, because they save lives.
    To repeat myself, "Her logic is fail."

A few thoughts on this.

To repeat myself, "Her logic is fail."
    Then you should have stopped while you were ahead.

However, your post doesn't sound like it's coming from an adult who's capable of taking care of yourself, let alone your passengers. Mostly it sounds like my whiney teenaged kids bitching at any authority figure telling them what to do.

You don't use seat belts or helmets because you don't "like" them, you think they're "uncomfortable and dangerous", so you choose not to use them. Against any expert advice or safety data. You've made up your mind, and no damned government/law enforcement agency should butt in on your la la land.

Oh, but when it comes to the safety of children in the car, that's a totally different thing....and adults can be told what to do?

What if you're acting like a child, and need to be treated as such?

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Auto-Seat.../dp/B000046Q50

Not meant to be condescending, but it is a kid's product, and from the sounds of it, you are roughly similar in size. My parents had one for me years ago to keep the seat belt from smacking me in the neck.

That's not condescending, coinich. My sister has something similar because she feels choked by shoulder belts, and she's over 5 feet tall. Munch knows damn well what products are out there for her use. She just doesn't want to use them.

Come to think of it, my sister is a pretty funny story when it comes to shoulder belts in the 80's. She felt "choked" because back then they couldn't be adjusted up or down. It was one-size-fits-all. She used a wooden clothes pin at first first, then a super heavy duty file folder clamp, to shorten where the strap came out from the car frame, so it didn't come out at her neck but at her shoulder. Then she added a sheepskin over the shoulder strap. Pretty clever, really.

And how many people can claim a memory of their sibling driving down the highway with a clothespin clamped to their chest belt?
    Last edited by GGT; 07-10-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Youtube has increased the limit on uploads to 10 hours
    This is how its being used...

For example, this clip is longer than all 3 extended cut movies, combined...
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 07-10-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...ne-crammer.ars

What the... Can someone please post this in the appropriate thread?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Hope is the denial of reality

Citizen Cain is back?!

I suppose you whine at theme parks when they make you wear a lap-belt and restraints too. Freedom!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    I suppose you whine at theme parks when they make you wear a lap-belt and restraints too. Freedom!!!!
    Theme parks are private enterprise. They can have any rule they want. Also I like seat belts, I would wear mine even if it wasn't mandated by law.

So Texas continues to teach the "abstinence only" sex education. Despite the fact Texas teens are having more sex than before, and Texas had at one point the highest teen birth rate in the nation; and they use information like this:
    One Texas public school district's sex ed handout is entitled "Things to Look for in a Mate:"

I. How they relate to God
    A. Is Jesus their first love?
    B. Trying to impress people or serve God?

Another public school district uses this:

Question: "What does the Bible say about sex before marriage/premarital sex?"

Answer: Along with all other kinds of sexual immorality, sex before marriage/premarital sex is repeatedly condemned in Scripture (Acts 15:20; Romans 1:29; 1 Corinthians 5:1; 6:13,18; 7:2; 10:8; 2 Corinthians 12:21; Galatians 5:19; Ephesians 5:3; Colossians 3:5; 1 Thessalonians 4:3; Jude 7).
    So whats the governor say when he is presented with this information?
    Abtinence works.

Whats the evidence he presents to defend his position? (after getting laughed at)
    Blames the teachers for not teaching it right, and his own "personal life"

EDIT:
    I didn't see it right away, so I'm assuming our last abstinence is a failure thread was in the old place?
    and yeah, I know this info isn't breaking, and likely making the rounds again because this governor may be considering a run at the presidency(?), but holy hell.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    So whats the governor say when he is presented with this information?
    Abtinence works.
    To be fair, that's our society's approach to just about everything, and one you personally advocate (or at least have in the past) on other issues. Don't like something? Ban it. Can't ban it? Use propaganda to convince everyone else it's wrong, facts be damned.

Maybe if everyone stopped sticking their noses into everyone else's business, we wouldn't have to put up with having a bunch of stupid, incorrect political views being forced on everyone. But, we can't possibly have that; we need to inject our views into everyone else's lives and then complain when views we disagree with are injected into ours.

The short version of this whole issue being: Popularly elected leader uses popular method of spreading popular political viewpoint. Shocking, truly.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

"Amy Winehouse, 27, found dead at her London flat"
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ndon-flat.html

Not confirmed. Another one at 27
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

TMZ is considering it confirmed. Not surprising at all. She was one hell of a coke whore.

No it is not surprising at all.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Watching C-span and the Senate Armed Services Committee. Wasn't paying total attention, but sounded like one of the Generals said....that optimizing terrorism surveillance could be of "great commercial value" to the United States.

The committee is "vetting" senior commander military nominees. Some over-lap of questions from senators also serving on veteran's committees and DoD budget committees. A fairly strange thing to watch
    Last edited by GGT; 07-24-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Someone ripped off my don't text and drive bumpter sticker, but left the Turn off Fox one

The amount of new credit/debt solicitations in my mailbox is unbelievable. I paid off the last of my (one) credit card balance, less than a hundred bucks. Then I paid my son's last three monthly orthodontia visits in advance. Now the credit spiders are trying to spin webs around me.....offering zero% interest for two years, special deals and rebates, for everything from beach vacations to leather sofas or entertainment centers. Fuckers.

^^Yeah well my mum keeps on getting a $500+ bill from a major Australian phone company because she apparently signed up for one of their phone + internet plans, which isn't true. She only called the company to enquire about the plan they had going, and a day later we get a call from our original company asking why we were disconnected from them long story short, the company my mum called actually admitted to the mistake, told us that we wouldn't be charged for anything...yet for several months now we've been getting this bill from them, and she's tried calling them again, but all they say is "it says on our system that you signed up for it blah blah" so she ends up arguing with them, and now it's been referred to some "collection agency" who is sending out the bills

A couple in China were turned into authorities after it was discovered the pair began selling off their children to play online games at internet cafes.

The Sanxiang City News reports (via ABCNews), the parents, Li Lin and Li Juan, began selling off their three children in 2009. One child, a baby girl, netted about $500 U.S., while the two boys, both newborns, netted about $4600 U.S. each.

The couple was finally turned in by Li Lin's mother after she learned of their actions. The parents did not know they were breaking the law, and said, "We don't want to raise them, we just want to sell them for some money."

Last year's christmas tree at the Elysee in Paris cost €355.000 .... source
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Last year's christmas tree at the Elysee in Paris cost €355.000 .... source
    355 Euros ain't so bad?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?