Page 86 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

That's True? Seriously WTF?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The reddit thread thats mentioned on snopes: http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comm..._school_in_sc/

and people wonder what the problem is when they want to give public funding to private schools
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-02-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Presumably if we were to fund private schools we'd also get a say in their minimum curricula, no?

Exactly. There's a difference between types of private schools. Most will take standard exams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Presumably if we were to fund private schools we'd also get a say in their minimum curricula, no?
    We should also set a ceiling, i.e. what is not to be taught. Like, religion in science classes.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

What I want to know is the academic background of the teachers.
    Hope is the denial of reality

http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2734/...msterdam.dhtml

There are so many tourists in Amsterdam that it 's impossible to get into any museum; that's bad enough under normal circumstances. But now appearantly it's getting so bad that people actually have to line up to get in the museum shop of the Rijksmuseum.
    Congratulations America

Every time I think about planning a trip there, I hear about the crowding in Amsterdam and think I should maybe skip it.

Last evening, two Marine recruiters rang my doorbell. Apparently my son's cell phone number and voice mail was caught in provider purgatory...but he'd checked the box agreeing to a "home visit". So these two Marines appeared at my doorstep, in full uniform, and proceeded to ask questions about my son. Trying to figure out if he was eligible....while also trying to recruit him.

Was he married? Did he spawn have any children? Did he use alcohol or "drugs"? Have any tattoos or piercings? Did he have bone implants, heart murmurs, allergies, or asthma? Was he taking any medications? Has he been treated for concussions, brain injuries, anxiety or depression? Has he been accused or convicted of a felony? Why is he interested in the military? Is he looking for educational benefits under the GI Bill?

The whole thing left me feeling defensive and very sour.

Well, did you answer any of the questions? You don't have to...or is this something he wants?

I answered some of their basic queries. But I also made it clear they should schedule a personal interview with my son, and not use me, his mother, as his best proxy. I told them flat out that I'd rather he go to college first, or take a few years to make his decision....and he didn't need the GI bill to do either.

but yes, he's always been drawn to "military service".

He doesn't seem like the kind who likes discipline...

Nah, that's my older son who's anti-establishment and rebels against authority. They're pretty much opposites that way, an inverse of the birth-order personality stereotype.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I doubt we'll be putting non special ops troops on foreign ground in the next 4 years.

Thanks, but he's interested in ammunitions ('bomb squad') and precise shooting ('sniper').

Screw all that...were they hot?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Thanks, but he's interested in ammunitions ('bomb squad') and precise shooting ('sniper').
    He's not becoming a sniper unless he passes some pretty intense psych evaluations...

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    He's not becoming a sniper unless he passes some pretty intense psych evaluations...
    He knows that. That's why his anxiety and depression has been very difficult to treat.

Tell your son this is a dumb way to try to fix things. He should start playing cello or meditating or something.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

UN urges people to eat insects to fight world hunger...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-22508439

Eating insects is already a common practice in poor countries. Collecting tarantulas and frying them is considered a delicacy in some Asian countries. I learned this from the Food Network, or reality TV, or some combination thereof. The fried hairy spider legs reportedly taste similar to crab claw meat.

*shudder*

Which is no surprise since crabs share a lot of similarities with spiders... they're both arthropods after all.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Eating insects is already a common practice in poor countries. Collecting tarantulas and frying them is considered a delicacy in some Asian countries. I learned this from the Food Network, or reality TV, or some combination thereof. The fried hairy spider legs reportedly taste similar to crab claw meat.

*shudder*
    I'm guessing Loki's WTF is more at the UN proposing eating insects as a serious solution to world hunger than the act of eating insects itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    I'm guessing Loki's WTF is more at the UN proposing eating insects as a serious solution to world hunger than the act of eating insects itself.
    Why should it be a WTF? Insects are easy to breed and demand less resources per protein unit than normal beef

My mum's cook book from when my parents lived in Africa has recipes for ants, caterpillars, grasshoppers, etc. Not the first time I hear of it as a solution for world hunger either, and I don't think it's very wtf, but I don't expect it to become very popular any time soon.

The internet hero Mr. Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker, is wanted for murder.

He supposedly put on his facebook it was because he was drugged and raped.

Who would have thought that someone who jumps into a road rage incident swinging a hacket would be a little unstable...
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Xbox sent me an avatar prop as a reward for the time I spent playing arcade titles last month.

It a couch. It looks like the casting couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Oohh. I heard a blurb on NPR about "farming insects" to meet world hunger needs. There's a farm the size of a football field "growing" hundreds of thousands of scorpions in China, apparently quite successfully. The flip side of that kind of single-species insect cultivation was a cricket farm--that sprayed pesticides outside the building that killed the whole crop. (Millions of dead crickets must have smelled really bad.)