Page 93 of 140 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    No, Loki was scoffing at using multiple techniques to get knowledge into kids heads. There is only one true way and trying anything else is 'codling'.
    Even assuming that's true, I'm still not seeing the same twinges of authoritarianism you seem to be. It seems to be more, "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Even assuming that's true, I'm still not seeing the same twinges of authoritarianism you seem to be. It seems to be more, "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."
    Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    I called him overlord not in that he has any real designs on true power, but partially to reflect his overreaction to just using techniques that he does not agree with.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

My family sagas continue. While my ex is busy extricating himself from his second marriage....and relying on our sons to help him move out when she's out of the country (on another extended vacation).....she is texting the kids. Our kids, MY kids. Asking questions, demanding pictures. She even got her cleaning lady to enter the drama via texts, banging on the door, confronting anyone who answered (ie, my eldest son).

It's a very messy situation. A big WTF scenario. I wish this whole thing didn't involve our/my sons, but it seems to be somewhat liberating for them at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    I called him overlord not in that he has any real designs on true power, but partially to reflect his overreaction to just using techniques that he does not agree with.
    You mean using techniques proven to be ineffective?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Really? Totally proven to be ineffective? Trying to make some education relatable and possibly fun? Khen mixes it up, are you saying he is doing a disservice to his pupils?

Khen emphasizes the fundamentals, as he should. We must be reading two totally different sets of posts...

She threatened him with a long, drawn out legal process...and spousal support. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Khen emphasizes the fundamentals, as he should. We must be reading two totally different sets of posts...
    I just rechecked his response to you, he uses both. Yes the fundamentals should be stressed, but use the other option to help it click.

I'm not the least bit surprised that the Southern Baptist Convention's publishing arm would do a 'study' like this. I'm sure my the pastor of my former church made a big deal of it yesterday during his sermon.

I did see the source, and still think it's insane. Out of curiosity, how mainstream a church is this one? Fringe group or not?

I wish I could say it's on the fringe like Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventists, but the Southern Baptist Convention is one of the biggest, if not the biggest Baptist denomination over here. Don't let their name fool you, they're nationwide. Every Baptist church I attended as a kid was affiliated and the whole belief that we were nearing or are currently in the End Times is a pretty commonly held belief.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Some dim nitwit of a programmer has a routine to discover the capabilities of bluetooth devices which recognizes my bluetooth mouse as a "mouse device".

Only when it comes to actually pairing the devices, it demands of me to enter the "0000" security code. On a mouse.

Right.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24283185

It is not impossible to do one-handed. It's not even hard.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

http://io9.com/russias-flesh-eating-...gin-1411641798

Definitely NSFW, pretty graphic pictures about this drug.

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comment...odil_reported/

I could have sworn I saw a better thread on Krokodil, its ingrediants and its effects on people in AskScience, but I couldn't find it again.

So last Saturday, police in the Hague responded to a car crash, where a drunk woman rammed parked cars, and turned out to be the wife of a Russian diplomat. Police at the scene (near the diplomat's house) were also alerted to child abuse, allegedly the diplomat, also drunk, dragged his kids on their hair through the house. Police responded, found the situation threatening to the kids and brought the drunk diplomat in. He alleges he was beaten up, by armed men in camouflage - which our cops don't wear, and he did not appear wounded when talking to the press. And now Russia is accusing us of breaking human rights and police brutality (oh, the irony). And this comes right after a Dutch Greenpeace ship with some Dutch crew was boarded and the crew charged with piracy, and our government is starting up a legal procedure because it was apparently against maritime law.

Well, the year celebrating The Netherlands - Russia year is ending on a 'happy' note. Not that it was going that well, a Russian activist committed suicide while (wrongfully) in jail, the whole gay rights issue, a Dutch photographer is banned from Russia for being critical, and Russia no longer thinks it's necessary to investigate the death of a Dutch reporter in Georgia, allegedly by a Russian military strike.

Seems we're great at relations with big nations anyway, we're also threatening to revoke American air force flying rights here because the US won't agree to financial responsibility in case of an accident with one of the nukes that's stored here.

.. And now suddenly Dutch dairy is suspect for Russian customs, and suddenly drugs has been found on the Greenpeace ship.

To be fair, you're not allowed to take the diplomat into custody even under those conditions. That was a pretty blatant violation of international law.

To be fair, you're not allowed to take the diplomat into custody even under those conditions. That was a pretty blatant violation of international law.
    Not if the police officers were first hand witnesses of this man physically abusing his children.
    Congratulations America

Plus they probably shouldn't have entered his house in the first place, being a diplomat's private residence. However, to protect the kids, I understand that (they apparently saw him abuse them) - if the police stop a drunk driving diplomat they also won't allow him to drive on. And our government apologised, too, which is right I think. But Russia's reaction is somewhat bizarre, and completely ignores that the diplomat was obviously misbehaving, which with diplomatic immunity is their responsibility.

Official view is that the arrest was wrong, because of the immunity (hence the apology), but that the cops acted from their professional responsibility to protect. In the meantime, next to dairy, tulips are suddenly also suspect.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

One of the Nobel laureates in chemistry told an Israeli paper that he left his appointment in Israel in favor of moving to Stanford because he couldn't get tenure. That country has a serious problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    One of the Nobel laureates in chemistry told an Israeli paper that he left his appointment in Israel in favor of moving to Stanford because he couldn't get tenure. That country has a serious problem.
    How long ago?

I know last year's Nobel laureate in physics almost got a job at my university, but they couldn't agree on all the benefits and he went to the UK instead, and subsequently won the Nobel prize. Leaving the uni here slightly bummed, because we've never had a Nobel laureate, and would like one
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Plus they probably shouldn't have entered his house in the first place, being a diplomat's private residence. However, to protect the kids, I understand that (they apparently saw him abuse them) - if the police stop a drunk driving diplomat they also won't allow him to drive on. And our government apologised, too, which is right I think. But Russia's reaction is somewhat bizarre, and completely ignores that the diplomat was obviously misbehaving, which with diplomatic immunity is their responsibility.

Official view is that the arrest was wrong, because of the immunity (hence the apology), but that the cops acted from their professional responsibility to protect. In the meantime, next to dairy, tulips are suddenly also suspect.
    Throw the guy out of the country then. If Russia's diplomatic corps misbehaves and their country doesn't slap them for misbehaving, why should you feel obligated to let him continue abusing his priviledges?

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    How long ago?

I know last year's Nobel laureate in physics almost got a job at my university, but they couldn't agree on all the benefits and he went to the UK instead, and subsequently won the Nobel prize. Leaving the uni here slightly bummed, because we've never had a Nobel laureate, and would like one
    It was in the 80s, I believe. Israel has had a serious problem for a long time. There's about 4-5 real research universities in the country (which isn't bad for a country of 7 million), and they churn out an astonishing number of PhDs. All of these PhDs can't get faculty positions in Israel, let alone tenure, so they end up populating Western universities, especially American ones (I actually work for one such individual). Most of them are really bright and highly motivated, but they just can't get a job or funding in Israel.

The faculty I've worked with in Israel are astonishingly good - they turn out superlative work on shoestring budgets with little space, and routinely publish in Science and Nature. The diaspora faculty are also very sharp, but it's a shame Israel can't lure more of them back with increased funding/space and better provision for translation to industry. This is a long-term issue in the country, and one they should be able to fix. The country has little natural resources except for its human capital, so it should make the most of it.