Page 95 of 137 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,850 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    People say things on the internet they'd never say in person. That anonymity of "free speech" gets pretty ugly, so WTF leads anyone to believe we're a post-racial society?
    It's not even that anonymous. A bunch of them have Twitter accounts that use their real names. Curious if the university will go after them (in my view, they should).
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It's not even that anonymous. A bunch of them have Twitter accounts that use their real names. Curious if the university will go after them (in my view, they should).
    WTF. Why should the university do that? They're not arbiters (or censors) of the internet, social media, or the Twitterverse.

One of the few that graduated above me in high school got popped for hitting an underage teen up for sex online.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Um, you think making racist comments directed at university officials doesn't violate a student's code of conduct?

Um, you think making racist comments directed at university officials doesn't violate a student's code of conduct?
    That depends on how "Student Codes of Conduct" are written, and what influence that has over the student body. Personally, I don't have a problem with students calling teachers or administrators nasty (or even racist) names. I'm bothered more by their need, or impulse, to do so.

I swear you just argue for the sake of arguing. If I made the opposite point, you'd still be disagreeing with me.

I swear you just argue for the sake of arguing. If I made the opposite point, you'd still be disagreeing with me.
    You must be new. Welcome to TWF!

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    You must be new. Welcome to TWF!

Well, the student body president apologized on behalf of all the students. Better than nothing I suppose.

A brutal fight between a former Marine and his stepfather in Oklahoma ended in the stepfather’s death by “atomic wedgie,” also known as death by underwear.

Denver St. Clair had been arguing with his stepson, Brad Davis, 33, last month when the two began to fight. Davis told police that St. Clair had spoken “ill of Davis’ mother,” and then threw the first punch. The men had been drinking, investigators told ABC affiliate KNXV.

Davis said he fought back and then gave his father an “atomic wedgie” in which he stretched the elastic waistband of St. Clair’s underwear up over his head. The move is most often used as a prank among children and teenagers.

The waistband strangled St. Clair, who stopped breathing, according to KNXV. Davis called 911, but St. Clair was dead by the time officers arrived, reported KNXV.

According to the affidavit obtained by the affiliate station, police said the underwear left a ligature mark around St. Clair’s neck and noted that there was blood around the kitchen and living room.

Davis was booked into the Pottawatomie County Jail where a judge ordered him held without bond for first-degree murder. “We continued our investigation and uncovered evidence that led us to believe that this was more than just a fight,” Sheriff Mike Booth told KNXV.

Davis’ mother, Tressi St. Clair, who was married to Denver St. Clair, could not be reached for comment today.

still took a pt test ;-(

I'm not sure any Olympics should exceed $50 billion dollars. That's a shit load of money. Particularly for Winter Games, that are supposed to be 'cheaper' than Summer Games.

I'm not even sure that national athletics can continue to act as international "Good Will" sports initiatives. The entire endeavor has changed over the years.....and become more like Reality TV covering Extreme Sports...and Opening Ceremonies as semi-professional entertainment.

While I love watching elite athletes perform during the Olympic Games, that doesn't mean the Olympic Games has an automatic monopoly over any sport, or its viewing audience. X athletes (snow boarders, free-style skiers, etc.) were awesome athletes long before the IOC recognized them.

The Olympic Games might be entering their own WTF phase.

Eh, that money was going to line someone's pocket anyway.

Eh, that money was going to line someone's pocket anyway.
    So does WWW. What's your point?

The only WTF moments I had during the Opening Ceremonies were about the women leading nations into the venue, the guides on the sidelines...and their incongruous costumes. It was like 21st century haute couture with 1950's dancing marshmallows.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The source seems to be a non-serious one.

Taliban is ingoring the whole summer fighting season concept this year

Global warming?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    They actually had a seasonal schedule?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    They actually had a seasonal schedule?
    Yeah 120 days of summer, is usually followed by a rainy season/winter, not much rain this year.... they hit PSAD with a with a vehicle ied and suicide attack. their expecting one at kaf anytime now X_X., and I'm at the gate

Quote Originally Posted by Spenni View Post
    Yeah 120 days of summer, is usually followed by a rainy season/winter, not much rain this year.... they hit PSAD with a with a vehicle ied and suicide attack. their expecting one at kaf anytime now X_X., and I'm at the gate
    Stay safe Spenni.

...The Portland African American Leadership Forum said the development commission had in the past made promises about preventing projects from displacing community members but hadn't fulfilled them.

It sent the city a letter saying it would "remain opposed to any development in N/NE Portland that does not primarily benefit the Black community." It said the grocery-store development would "increase the desirability of the neighborhood," for "non-oppressed populations."
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/t...store-22350878

"Outpricing the residents"? Are we talking about Trader Joe's here, an offspring of ALDI Germany?

From what I've heard, the US-American branch follows its roots and has reasonably priced goods. Not quite sure where the problem lies.

In racism.

Okay, so there has been some debate about weed here lately. Currently the sale is, well not exactly legal, but tolerated legally. Supply, however, is illegal, which means that growing weed is controlled mostly by criminal gangs. This has lead to a lot of problems - illegal plantations are generally dangerous (fire safety is a low priority), damage the houses that they are placed in (usually without knowledge of the owner), illegally tap electricity because the bills would raise suspicion, the criminals themselves are violent between them (a while back there was an escalation in my city, which lead to, IIRC, 4+ murders and a house that was shot at with a machine gun, and death threats to a neighbouring city's mayor). Which makes it reasonable that a majority of mayors, especially of the bigger cities, want to regulate growing weed. It has added benefits of quality control (you basically don't know what you're buying now), extra tax revenue, but mostly is aimed to decrease the criminality surrounding this. Unfortunately, our stubborn minister in charge flat out refuses to budge even a little, pre-empts any plans by saying in advance he will ignore them anyway. Now the interim chief of police (appointed by him, too), says he opposes the proposals because "the legal plantations would be a prime subject for armed robberies". So, the chief of police, is against this, because criminals might commit robberies. Now, they already do that, and murder on the side, just it's less in the open now because illegal plantation owners are not going to report a robbery to the police. It will also take away a lot of revenue from criminals to begin with. And besides, using this argument, should we make jewelry stores illegal?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I just filed my very first complaint for prosecution (which will most likely go nowhere )

It's currently a very nice night here in Hamburg and I've got this attractive park nearby, so I thought it to be a good idea to take a walk in said park, country bumpkin that I am.

One roundtrip around the lake in this park, however, sports quite a dearth of lighting fixtures (meaning: It's dark most of the way). I had just begun my walk when my spider senses tingled: A guy behind me walked slightly faster than me - however, he also walked behind me instead of slightly abreast which you'd have to do in order to overtake.

So I went to the other side of the path and made as if I watched something there - he continued on his way and disappeared into the gloom. I chalked that one up to nerves.

Five minutes later a guy once again walked behind me, same method. I let him overtake me again and then chose a different junction than he did.

Not 3 minutes later I again heard footsteps behind me. This time I chose to stand my ground and actually watch him approach and supposedly overtake me again. Only he didn't. He walked up to me, laid a hand on my should and asked to suck my dick. I held him at arm's length and told him to take a hike. He then made a grab for my genitalia, I shoved him away and told him sternly to walk away now, or I'd call the cops.

He actually did walk away while I tried to think about the next steps. Which led me to call the cops regardless.

When we met up, they asked me in which direction the guy went and told me to get in the car. I thought that this guy would be over the hills by now but we found him pretty easily - I mean, it was dark alright, but the moon was bright enough so that I was able to get enough features of the guy's face to recognize him.

The cops then took his info, he didn't want to give a statement, however, which is where we stand now. Since it's testimony against testimony, the whole thing most likely will go nowhere. Then again, at least the guy is on record now - so if he pulls a stunt like that again, he'll be in a lot of hot water.

Does the guy not have a criminal record? People rarely do this kind of stuff out of the blue.

That's not exactly the kind of information police men share with civilians outside an actual prosecution

Not to mention, that you actually have to tell the police about it and file a complaint. If you don't do the former then no one knows about it (and men are probably even worse at calling the police for this than women), if you don't do the latter then it doesn't enter any record but has to be scrubbed.

That was regarding whether it's a he said/he said situation. If the guy has a record of doing this kind of thing, no one's going to trust his word. You, on the other hand, have no real reason to lie.