Page 98 of 140 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,940 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Yeah, I'm currently asking myself why I bothered to change my tires to winter tires - the temperature has yet to drop below 4 °C over here.
    It was pretty cold here the one weekend I was in a cabin without central heating in the woods.. Even then only below zero at night though. Luckily, I volunteered for a sofa, not a bed, being gentleman and all, and later found out this was also in the warmest room, and I was probably the only one who was too warm and not too cold at night
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    There is of course that little word 'global' isn't Australia suffering from a heat wave? We've had warmest January days in about a century, here. So aside from using current weather reports as climatology data, they don't even manage to look across any borders..
    Yeah, "global" is the key word in climate science. "Seasonal" weather reports don't mean much when viewed outside the larger context. Especially when the US is only about 2% of the entire earth surface....but US politicians are making global policy from their kitchen window. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Schools should teach how to think, not what to think, after the basics are instilled. A good work ethic is hard to communicate at school, except to help create good habits in schoolwork. This is really the realm of the family, where the kids see it first hand. Which DOES suck if the family is in distress.
    I'm fairly certain that schools try to teach people what to think ALL day long. (Violence is bad, racism is bad, be nice to others, don't cheat) ect. Are you suggesting that schools stop teaching these? Because that's an interesting discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I'm fairly certain that schools try to teach people what to think ALL day long. (Violence is bad, racism is bad, be nice to others, don't cheat) ect. Are you suggesting that schools stop teaching these? Because that's an interesting discussion.
    That's also teaching "how" to think. Not just that certain behavior is "bad", but why.

Lewk, those are complex issues which lead to good discussions on why such could be bad. Thus teaching how to think.

Bit this can lead to interesting differences in opinion. School says: Violence is bad. Parent teaches: violence is not good, but not always bad...depending upon the circumstances.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

http://blog.gdelt.org/2014/01/20/gdelt-suspension/

http://www.state.il.us/court/R23_Ord...130290_R23.pdf

This is one of the biggest "big data" projects in the social sciences.
    Hope is the denial of reality

http://news.msn.com/us/huckabees-com...snews11&stay=1

Hard to believe this guy was the Governor who signed legislation mandating comprehensive reproductive healthcare/birth control in Arkansas. Even harder to believe he was a leading Presidential candidate not too long ago. How can this Bible-thumping-preacher-turned politician continue to be an 'important figure' within the GOP?

WTF?

You should see the article on the Daily Beast. It had a lot more of the complaint.

http://thedailybeast.com/articles/20...s-throats.html

http://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/afte...linois-student

College in the news, not for the best reasons. It's not even that cold out.

People say things on the internet they'd never say in person. That anonymity of "free speech" gets pretty ugly, so WTF leads anyone to believe we're a post-racial society?

One of the few that graduated above me in high school got popped for hitting an underage teen up for sex online.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    People say things on the internet they'd never say in person. That anonymity of "free speech" gets pretty ugly, so WTF leads anyone to believe we're a post-racial society?
    It's not even that anonymous. A bunch of them have Twitter accounts that use their real names. Curious if the university will go after them (in my view, they should).

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It's not even that anonymous. A bunch of them have Twitter accounts that use their real names. Curious if the university will go after them (in my view, they should).
    WTF. Why should the university do that? They're not arbiters (or censors) of the internet, social media, or the Twitterverse.

Um, you think making racist comments directed at university officials doesn't violate a student's code of conduct?

Um, you think making racist comments directed at university officials doesn't violate a student's code of conduct?
    That depends on how "Student Codes of Conduct" are written, and what influence that has over the student body. Personally, I don't have a problem with students calling teachers or administrators nasty (or even racist) names. I'm bothered more by their need, or impulse, to do so.

I swear you just argue for the sake of arguing. If I made the opposite point, you'd still be disagreeing with me.

I swear you just argue for the sake of arguing. If I made the opposite point, you'd still be disagreeing with me.
    You must be new. Welcome to TWF!

Well, the student body president apologized on behalf of all the students. Better than nothing I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    You must be new. Welcome to TWF!

A brutal fight between a former Marine and his stepfather in Oklahoma ended in the stepfather’s death by “atomic wedgie,” also known as death by underwear.

Denver St. Clair had been arguing with his stepson, Brad Davis, 33, last month when the two began to fight. Davis told police that St. Clair had spoken “ill of Davis’ mother,” and then threw the first punch. The men had been drinking, investigators told ABC affiliate KNXV.

Davis said he fought back and then gave his father an “atomic wedgie” in which he stretched the elastic waistband of St. Clair’s underwear up over his head. The move is most often used as a prank among children and teenagers.

The waistband strangled St. Clair, who stopped breathing, according to KNXV. Davis called 911, but St. Clair was dead by the time officers arrived, reported KNXV.

According to the affidavit obtained by the affiliate station, police said the underwear left a ligature mark around St. Clair’s neck and noted that there was blood around the kitchen and living room.

Davis was booked into the Pottawatomie County Jail where a judge ordered him held without bond for first-degree murder. “We continued our investigation and uncovered evidence that led us to believe that this was more than just a fight,” Sheriff Mike Booth told KNXV.

Davis’ mother, Tressi St. Clair, who was married to Denver St. Clair, could not be reached for comment today.

still took a pt test ;-(

I'm not sure any Olympics should exceed $50 billion dollars. That's a shit load of money. Particularly for Winter Games, that are supposed to be 'cheaper' than Summer Games.

I'm not even sure that national athletics can continue to act as international "Good Will" sports initiatives. The entire endeavor has changed over the years.....and become more like Reality TV covering Extreme Sports...and Opening Ceremonies as semi-professional entertainment.

While I love watching elite athletes perform during the Olympic Games, that doesn't mean the Olympic Games has an automatic monopoly over any sport, or its viewing audience. X athletes (snow boarders, free-style skiers, etc.) were awesome athletes long before the IOC recognized them.

The Olympic Games might be entering their own WTF phase.

Eh, that money was going to line someone's pocket anyway.

Eh, that money was going to line someone's pocket anyway.
    So does WWW. What's your point?

The only WTF moments I had during the Opening Ceremonies were about the women leading nations into the venue, the guides on the sidelines...and their incongruous costumes. It was like 21st century haute couture with 1950's dancing marshmallows.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The source seems to be a non-serious one.

Taliban is ingoring the whole summer fighting season concept this year

Global warming?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    They actually had a seasonal schedule?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?