Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Words fail me. Seriously?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I'd just like to say this about the OP: it's really fucking long.
    Followed by this sig:

Where's the tattooed muscle men with furled brows a-pullin'? Where's the buxom fashion queen with thin-aired curls a-curlin'? Where's the angry nomad minstrel, growlin' out a lullaby? Where's the edgy circus folk? Or have they said goodbye?
    Where's the soiled and rusty builders welding iron sculptures? Where's the clockwork fellow-beaters circling like vultures? Where's the darkened cabaret filled with new nostalgics? Where has everything I loved gone? Oh, the loss is tragic!
    Where's the crazy fire folk spinning warmth a-blazin'? Where's the muscled aerialist in the sky amazing? Where's the dreadlocked cowboy head-to-toe in ancient leather? Where's the pretty painted ladies behind their fans of feathers?
    Where's the slender flapper girls in silken gowns and pearls? Where's the threadbare waltzers paintin' the floors in curls? Where's my life-confirming friends or did I ever have them? Where's the brazen, angry artists? Tell me what replaced them!
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

My sister arranged personal/hedonistic services for my birthday. That meant a manicure, pedicure, facial, and total body massage.

It struck me that "gifts" are wrapped up in so much baggage and consumerism that we can't figure out what we're giving or receiving.

While I totally loved and appreciated the services she gave me......I would have been happy if we had spent that time just being sisters, something "free" that no third party can do.

I just realized what a bunch of quacks my previous doctors at the hospital of Göttingen were.

Let's recap: I've got a moderately sized stone in my left kidney (about 9 by 4 by 4 millimeters). I've learned that you don't smash stones by ultrasonics anymore because it's unreliable - some types of stones simply are impervious to ultrasonics, then you may get sharp edges (not so nice, considering the fragments still have to pass both the ureter and urethra) and finally, the fragments may still be too large. They've had patients which needed up to 8 ultrasonic procedures... if I had absolutely wanted to do ultrasonics then they would have obliged me. But they didn't recommend it. And I kind of agree.

So, the double-j-stent it is.

It is basically supposed to work like this:
    1. The stent is inserted. This serves two purposes: a) To prevents colics due to the stone closing off the ureter. b) To widen the ureter which is normally quite tight. This can be done in a small procedure under a moderate narcosis. I went under at 1000h and was awake again at 1130h (and was discharged 2 hours later). Suffered two days of discomfort (one day of pissing lava) and that was it.
    2. Two to four weeks later, the stent is removed. The ureter is now widened which allows them to pull the stone. They may opt for cutting it with a laser and then pulling the halves or completely puverizing it and then flushing the mush out. Another stent is re-inserted to prevent the ureter from closing off. This has to be done under heavy narcosis and I'll spend two days at the hospital.
    3. After two days, they'll decide whether they can pull the stent now or leave it for another week.

This is how it's supposed to be in Hamburg.

This is how it went in Göttingen:
    1. The stent is inserted without narcosis, only a local anestheticum (which does jack-all to prevent pain). I'm pissing lava for a whole week and they could only discharge me from hospital two days later.
    2. One week later, the stent is removed. Without narcosis, once again.
    3. Who cares whether the stone is still in there?

Around the corner from where I live in Amsterdam I have a Burger King and a McDonald's, I've noticed recently that for some strange reason the Burger King is always chokabloc full where the McDonald's frequently is empty. There's a distance of about 100m tops between the two and I can't really understand what drives people to the Burger King lines when they could walk up to the counter and order at the McDonald's. Now, I am not a meat eater, and I think the fries at either of the two are too thin to qualify as enjoyable, so I can't really tell myself.

Does anybody here have a logical explanation? If you want to get an idea of locale, I'm talking about the Leidseplein Burger King and the Leidsestraat McDonald's.
    Congratulations America

Burger King has a lot more taste here, I think, McDonald's tends to be more bland. And somewhat better burgers. And the twisted fries are also better if you ask me. I wouldn't expect a huge difference in crowds though.

IIRC the leidseplein burger king does have a funny toilet lady but I doubt that's what drives the customers there

Maybe it's just because one is on the square and one on a street?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I noticed the opposite in London: Burger Kings tend to be empty, while McDonalds stores are always full. And yes, Burger King tends to have burgers that have more taste, though they're also substantially more expensive.
    Hope is the denial of reality

On a related note: Burger King just terminated a franchise contract without notice with a franchisee who ran 89 restaurants in Germany.

The guy tried to systematically undermine German worker's laws (like, paying for holidays or overtime), fired people who were ill (which you cannot do unless the worker in question is ill for a longer period of time) and also broke the rules under which Burger King restaurants were supposed to run (like: a maximum age of prepared burgers, use only fresh produce and stuff).

Ive noticed that franchises vary wildly across state lines and worse so across country borders. Largely because as Khen pointed out the resturants end up being owned by the same person, so the average behavior tends toward those restaurants.

Burger King down here is staffed by morons who don't give a fuck. The food is vastly superior to McDonalds, but the staff could not care less about the customers and we've given up going there because the order is never right. and i don't mean "they forgot the tomato" I mean I ordered a dollar chicken and ended up with some sort of mushroom double last time.

Plus McDonalds here have a new midnight blended menu where you can order breakfast and/or dinner at the same time. Making one of their most popular "secret" items even more popular and easier to order (Mc10:35). and their lunch window has a 60 second guarantee.

flixy you're mcdonalds have curly fries? lucky bastard.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 11-20-2014 at 02:10 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Burger King? McDonalds? I would not pollute myself so.

Imagine a whole country full of Lewkowski:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/l...ral-disasters/

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Imagine a whole country full of Lewkowski:

We're working on it.
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progres...unding-father/

Texas textbooks will teach public school students that the Founding Fathers based the Constitution on the Bible, and the American system of democracy was inspired by Moses
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Burger King? McDonalds? I would not pollute myself so.
    I wish y'all could try Whataburger.
    Your search had no results.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/11/2...rport-ceiling/

And a smaller wtf that assault and battery on a person over 60 is a separate offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    And a smaller wtf that assault and battery on a person over 60 is a separate offense.
    Cause its a felony now. Supposed to be a deterrent against mugging and similar crimes against frail old people.

But what about the frail younger people?

GUNS

Odd problem in Amsterdam: white heroin is being sold as cocaïne, with lethal results. The city is taking the problem serious enough to explicitly warn tourists against buying cocaïne and telling them it can kill them. Today 3 young Brits were found dead in their hotel room. The odd thing is that white heroin has a higher street value than cocaïne, so it's unintelligible why someone would sell it as cocaïne.
    Congratulations America

I always thought heroin was relatively cheap and cocaïne expensive? I've never bought either though, so I don't really know why I thought that.

I always thought heroin was relatively cheap and cocaïne expensive? I've never bought either though, so I don't really know why I thought that.
    White appearantly is more expensive.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    White appearantly is more expensive.
    Then it must be a really stupid dealer.

and yet we have the weird generic Christian churches that meet in school cafeterias

also, pretty terrible that people are dicks - but welcome to the south.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I wonder how many of those people think Obama is wiping his ass with the constitution while doing the same here.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    and yet we have the weird generic Christian churches that meet in school cafeterias

also, pretty terrible that people are dicks - but welcome to the south.
    Yeah, it's sad that people in the Deep South not only have Islamophobic beliefs but think it's acceptable to voice them in public (without condemnation it seems). I especially like the guy whose "rights are threatened" by having other people worship their own God.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I wonder how many of those people think Obama is wiping his ass with the constitution while doing the same here.
    Probably most, it's a pretty commonly voiced sentiment.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Nigel Farage is late to a public meeting, and blames immigration for the delays to his journey ...

Quote Originally Posted by beeb
    Nigel Farage in UKIP event no-show due to 'immigration'

Nigel Farage has blamed high levels of immigration and the state of the M4 for missing a meet-the-leader event ahead of UKIP's first Welsh conference.

About 100 supporters each paid £25 for Friday's reception to meet the UKIP leader in Port Talbot on Friday evening but he did not arrive in time.

The event at Margam Park was part of his party's conference which was held on Saturday.

Labour criticised Mr Farage calling his excuse "absurd".

Speaking to the BBC's Sunday Politics Wales, Mr Farage said: "It took me six hours and 15 minutes to get here - it should have taken three-and-a-half to four.

"That is nothing to do with professionalism, what it does have to do with is a population that is going through the roof chiefly because of open-door immigration and the fact that the M4 is not as navigable as it used to be."

Shadow Welsh secretary Owen Smith said: "Remarks like these are what makes Farage so dangerous.

"It is clearly absurd to suggest heavy traffic on the M4 is caused by immigration, but through the laughter at his silly comments you can hear UKIP's dog-whistle politics of division."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Followed by this sig:

i dont read this thread

you bastard
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    i dont read this thread

you bastard
    Carefully selected statistical evidence suggests that you read this thread about once every 29 days.