Page 135 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,050 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Managers brought together all our techie employees for a "tech heavy training and 2020 roadmap"

First presenter was an influencer they paid to teach us how to use the cameras on our phones.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-23-2019 at 11:51 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by rille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    TIL RISC is still around.

Yes, it's not a quick/easy fix for sure. Put it out on 10 years and it could be something else.

A bigger transition to 64 bit ARM should happen soon (especially on server side) since it's superior over x86_64.
    But it's overall the same problematics, the architecture is property of one company, and this is one of the results.
    Intel and ARM is a no go in the future anyhow due to this and Intel is fare worse since they dictate instruction set completely.
    For ARM the ISA is the same but many implement thier own microarchitecture, like Appple etc.

Problematic part with RISC-V (the later is actually already used in china to some degree today) compared to Aarch64 is that it is not mature.
    The basic specification exists which is good enough for primitive systems (like smaller embedded). Today other known companies actually
    use RISC-V for controllers and Intel is going to have to battle ARM at some point as well so they have shown some interest in RISC-V.

Not sure if CPU is that much of a problem compared to GPU here.
    (I guess that should be equaliy problematic)

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The Scripps National Spelling Bee ended in an 8-way tie. An historical first. Each will get $50,000 in prize money.

I watched the semi-finals, and these kids could spell every obscure and arcane word thrown at them. They basically beat the dictionary!

https://qz.com/1632035/scripps-natio...-in-8-way-tie/

Steve Bannon's "Gladiator Academy". Set up in an Italian monastery, it's a school to teach acolytes of Populism and Nationalism, fulfilling the legacy of medieval Pope Innocent. He wants more Salvinis, Orbans, Le Pens and Palins ruling government across the globe. Seriously.

https://www.axios.com/steve-bannon-p...b3bd9a0b0.html

Is Dinesh D'Souza dumb?

Beyond parody:

Trump surprises family at White House by having their teen son's killer there waiting for them.

I once read a story that was about quantum immortality. That's the idea that if there's any chance you survive an event, then there's a universe where you did. Since you can only perceive a universe that you exist in, from your perspective you'll always find yourself in one of the universes where you did survive, and so from your own perspective you can survive anything with a non-zero chance of survival. The story posited the additional idea that the more unlikely your survival, the more unlikely events had to have happened to cause it. So as you survive more and more events with a low probability of survival, you'll keep finding yourself in weirder and weirder universes. Sometimes I wonder just how many times I should have died to have wound up in this universe.

Not only did the pos plan this, multiple people had to coordinate and agree to help this happen. Including the murdering cunt that needs shipped back to the UK.
    An entire organization of spineless and corrupt yes men.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Not only did the pos plan this, multiple people had to coordinate and agree to help this happen. Including the murdering cunt that needs shipped back to the UK.
    An entire organization of spineless and corrupt yes men.
    The BS reality TV moment was despicable, yes, but there are actually very good reasons why the US (well before Trump) is fanatically zealous about guarding diplomatic immunity. It's just that even when Trump is broadly in line with accepted US government practice, he still manages to be a massive dick.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

This is, shockingly, one of the less weird things he's done. She asked to meet the parents, which is understandable. He has no empathy and wants to make everything be about himself, so he decided to get involved and try to make something happen. It was a perfect conversation, strategically brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    The BS reality TV moment was despicable, yes, but there are actually very good reasons why the US (well before Trump) is fanatically zealous about guarding diplomatic immunity. It's just that even when Trump is broadly in line with accepted US government practice, he still manages to be a massive dick.
    There's no good reason for invoking it in a friendly democratic state, especially when it wasn't even the diplomat who committed the crime. All this does is breed ill will from the British public.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    There's no good reason for invoking it in a friendly democratic state, especially when it wasn't even the diplomat who committed the crime. All this does is breed ill will from the British public.
    Caveat: I am not an expert on customary intl law, the Vienna Convention, or US history on invoking or waiving diplomatic immunity. With your background you may be, so feel free to educate me.

AIUI, the US has a long-standing and nearly irrevocable rule about not waiving diplomatic immunity in nearly any circumstances. I believe the general argument is that to grant seemingly reasonable waivers opens the way for more marginal cases, and eventually our diplomatic corps would not be able to do their work without fear.

I agree that in a fairly straightforward case like this there is every reason to believe that she would receive a fair trial and appropriate justice for the crime (the facts do not appear to be in doubt). I also agree that the US-UK relationship is very strong and that should be taken into account. If I were running the state department, I might believe the policy should make an exception.

That being said, I do not believe that this administration's refusal to grant immunity is a departure from established policy on this issue, Trump's offensive bullshit aside.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I'm not an expert and I'm too lazy to do my own research on this, but I thought it was generally policy to hand over the person if 1) somebody died, 2) it would have been a crime in the US (vehicular manslaughter), 3) it was not the result of or during sanctioned work and 4) we trust the country to give a fair trial and just sentence if guilty. All those boxes are checked here.
    Last edited by Wraith; 10-18-2019 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'm not an expert and I'm too lazy to do my own research on this, but I thought it was generally policy to hand over the person if 1) somebody died, 2) it would have been a crime in the US (vehicular manslaughter), 3) it was not the result of or during sanctioned work and 4) we trust the country to give a fair trial and just sentence if guilty. All those boxes are checked here.
    I'm pretty sure that even though all of those boxes are checked, the US in general does not make blanket policy exceptions for waiving diplomatic immunity. I believe it has happened in the past but not in anything like the systematic rules-based system you propose.

I should have chosen my words more carefully, I didn't mean actual policy. Standard practice would have been better.

I'll take your word for it. I did wind up looking for examples of similar cases, but the only ones I could find from this century were two instances from Pakistan where immunity was not waived and it probably would have been a bad idea. We have demanded other countries waive immunity when we were on the opposite end of this though, and they've done it.

I should have chosen my words more carefully, I didn't mean actual policy. Standard practice would have been better.

I'll take your word for it. I did wind up looking for examples of similar cases, but the only ones I could find from this century were two instances from Pakistan where immunity was not waived and it probably would have been a bad idea. We have demanded other countries waive immunity when we were on the opposite end of this though, and they've done it.
    The US is not known for its distaste of hypocrisy. It has no problem requesting a waiver even if it wouldn't grant one. In the case of the Georgian diplomat you referred to, the case was somewhat different in that he was driving drunk, but I take your point.

I'm sure there are more cases, but the last time I found the US granting a waiver to the UK was in 1940 when a US diplomat was a spy for the Nazis - and if they had been able to prosecute him, they probably wouldn't have waived immunity. That's a pretty high bar.

So as you survive more and more events with a low probability of survival, you'll keep finding yourself in weirder and weirder universes. Sometimes I wonder just how many times I should have died to have wound up in this universe.
    That sounds like The Twilight Zone.

You've got company in feeling like "this universe" we're living in is weird, and getting weirder. Every day comes with a WTF or how did that happen? But it's not a fictional story, or a TV show, or even a bad dream. And it's not just in the US but across the globe.

This is dumb, but in all fairness there are photographers lurking around the White House all the time. Both sides are wrong to say there were "no" photographers and that there were photographers there to entrap people in a photo op.

Or, to take the quantum angle, there were and weren't photographers there for them at the same time.

My apartment complex has started a new "holiday" policy, because folks often have a hard time paying their rent AND buying presents. Since budgeting during the holidays is so difficult for so many people: for every $100 of rent paid in advance, we'll be entered in a lottery that can win $350. FREE MONEY!

I complained to management. No such thing as FREE MONEY, and where's that lottery money coming from? I told them it's like being paid for having bad budgeting practices, at the expense of people like me who budget well and pay rent as first priority. Blank stares. They didn't understand my complaint and tried to sign me up for the FREE MONEY!

local camwhore/cosplayer stabbed her boyfriend and let him bleed out on their balcony for a few hours before calling the police.

and by local i mean just down the road, would regularly see them at my work local

I was at a shop today, and the person in front of the line complained that our local newspapers were sold out. The clerk explained they had sold out every day since "this Impeachment thing", but admitted she didn't follow the news because it's all just too depressing.

When it was my turn I said something like Well, good thing we don't have Brexit on the front page every day too, huh? She didn't know what Brexit was. Had never heard of it. Didn't even know what "EU" meant. Yeah, I live in Trump country.

I'm not sure precisely where to put this...

A relatively new colleague of mine got back from a weekend trip where she ran a half marathon. We all asked 'how did it go?' and she was all 'it was fun!'. Only later did we learn from someone else who ran in the same race that she won the half marathon out of some 26k runners.

Talk about burying the lead.

Best use of a pun this decade.

Nothing increases a player base 10 fold like a little Kung Flu

Click to view the full version

New textbooks are being printed at this very moment.

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 02-03-2020 at 04:13 PM.

12,000 Swedish boomers and their younger kindred spirits are beating their chests about how awesome it was that they were allowed to eat lead paint and get lots of head-injuries because they turned out fine.

Why do I get the feeling there's more to this story?

MIAMI — Andrew Gillum, one of the Democratic Party’s fast-rising political stars, was in a Miami Beach hotel room early on Friday when emergency workers were called to treat another man suffering from a probable drug overdose, the police said.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/u...lum-miami.html
    Hope is the denial of reality