Page 129 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,870 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

I really hope so. Will be finding out how they get on in the next day or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Hope is the denial of reality

Hope things work out, Tim

“When a lot of the fake peer reviews first came up, one of the reasons the editors spotted them was that the reviewers responded on time.”

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...-review-fraud/

It's funny 'cause it's true
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Timbuk, if you accidentally tick off the wrong box, there's an email address to contact, and they're actually pretty good at straightening things out.
    The question remains: Why on earth is this checkbox even there in the first place? Ticking it obviously leads to an automatic dismissal, so who in their right mind would ever consciously tick that one? Same for the idiotic "Are you a member of a terrorist organization" question.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

You can actually explain away some of them (e.g. some Iraqis said their brother was a terrorist and were still let in). Lying is illegal and automatic grounds for expulsion.

Not sure what kind of tick box it was. Can't remember from the last time I completed an ESTA.

Anyway. She has been in touch with them on the phone. They can look into it, but estimate it'll take 8-10 days to do so, no good since they fly in 4 days.

So she has managed to contact the UK home office, who can quickly provide her record showing zero convictions (at a cost of around £100). She will try on Monday to get an appointment with the US embassy to show them her record, and try to get a visa (also at a cost) thereby circumventing the need for an ESTA.

What a palaver.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Can't get NY sorted in time for thursday.

After being on the phone constantly to BA yesterday, they last night managed to wangle a deal to Dubrovnik, the only place they could get at 2 day's notice without losing their money.

Nice!

I guess they don't care about drug dealers there.

Police officer fired for not shooting someone...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cop...ity/ar-BBAXH9c

How does that exit interview even go?

"Sorry, we're looking for someone a little more... murdery"
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Being as I generally have something in my hands at all times, I find it hard to empathize with the teachers in this case.

I find it hard to believe that half of all students have ADD.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coinich View Post
    Being as I generally have something in my hands at all times, I find it hard to empathize with the teachers in this case.
    Here's the thing: We teachers aren't all complete asshats and don't ban stuff nilly-willy.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

There's been a number of WTF moments over the years that have made me feel old. EG when I set someone up on the system with a DOB of 92 and realised there was someone old enough to work for me that was born a decade after I was. Or years later when I set someone up on the system who was born in 99 and I thought "I was graduating High School when you were born".

But today I had a "lock in" (we were licensed still but they didn't need to know it was legal, more fun if they think they're doing something dodgy) and a customer was asking for a song to be played on our ipad that controls the sound system. We have subscriptions to just about every song imaginable and I was asking what song they wanted and it was "something my dad loves" I was told followed by "I think its something to do with 1995". So I had a guess and played 'Prince - Party Like its 1999' and was told that was not it. Then was told "I think it's by Bryan Adams" so played "Summer of 69" and that was it. I said to this girl, who is more than old enough to legally drink, "you know this is 69 not 95" and she says "69, 95, what's the difference?"

Well for one thing I was by a long time not born in 69 and was nearly old enough to legally drink in 95 ... but I suppose to her they are just numbers and it is history. Man, that makes me feel old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Here's the thing: We teachers aren't all complete asshats and don't ban stuff nilly-willy.
    Oh I know. I just kinda want one for myself

Weep for the debt-ridden future of mankind

Lidl in the US ?
    Congratulations America

There are already a bunch of Aldis. And they're basically clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Lidl in the US ?
    Yep. Aldi opened in my hometown a year or so ago. A Lidl is expected to open this summer. Both have positioned themselves on the other side of the street and a few hundred yards down from the Walmart. Should get interesting around there.

I wonder if they're going to pull off the breakthrough in clientele they managed in Europe. They started out as places where low income people bought what was percieved as garbage. Nowadays you'd be ridiculed for declaring yourself 'too good' for either Aldi or Lidl. And for some items Lidl has become my to-go to place.
    Congratulations America

Aldi's around here come across as low effort stores you might find a deal at. Not particularly clean, but not disgusting. Like they decided to compete with older Sweetbay locations instead of anything Publix or Winn Dixie would offer. Some of their fresh stuff is priced alright but most of the time you can get better deals timing your shopping around Publix's BOGOs.

Between WalMart, GFS, and Publix, we've found no need to make an actual trip out to a Aldi in a long time.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

To be honest I don't like Aldi very much but do like Lidl - better personnel, better quality vegetables and meat, much better service.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40310563?SThisFB

Russian hack?

Naval road rage?

Surgical strike?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...621-story.html

A libertarian who supported Obama and now supports Trump.

I can see why you might be confused but that's actually just a Sontaran spy obviously here on a mission to infiltrate and destabilize US politics to help pave the way for the invasion.

Looks like Betsy DeVos has been vindicated:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...arty-in-alaska

Guns saved these people from a grizzly death.

https://pankisseskafka.com/2017/07/1...ne-looks-like/

This is becoming the new norm in academia (a majority of professors are not tenure-track).