Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Factorio

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Tried the new game with default settings (no mod) and it kept coming up with awkward maps where I could only find one or at most two of coal, iron and copper. Even after walking in random directions until coming to monsters I could only find them. I don't see how you can start without at least iron and copper (coal you could avoid at first by chopping trees). Then tried with the RSO mod mentioned above and it gave me a starting point with an absolutely enormous amount of everything.
    RSO guarantees one of each resource in the starting area. I thought that was default behavior too, but I guess not. The patches do tend to be a bit big; in my first game with a rocket launch I only needed to expand to one each of iron and copper fields, and two new oil fields to get what I needed. My current game is generated with small patches & many aliens, to make expansion both more necessary and harder.

Have some images from this game:

Full expansion:

Local View:

Right now, my expansion is throttled a bit by the ore. I wanted to move the railstations near my base up a ways to make room for multiple stations of each kind, and so I can run at least two tracks in each direction.

Lab complex:

I wound up moving the labs three times.

Full Map:

I completely lost track of actually launching the rocket in this game. I think I might just give it up anyways and try one of the more expansive mod sets like Bob's Mod + Dytech.

Factorio just last week received a rather big new update with 0.15. There's more of a point to rocket launches now, infinite research, persistent blueprints and blueprint books, and nuclear power & bombs. Also blue science is a bit easier to automate now, though the trade-off is that now there's also yellow, production, military, and space sciences too. It's probably worth revisiting if you liked it the first time. Or purchasing, if for some reason you neglected to buy it before.

You may need to opt-in to betas to get the latest 0.15 update. It's plenty stable though; haven't gotten too deep, but haven't had any bugs yet.

Playing v15.

Requester chests being locked behind the most advanced science packs thereby rendering the logistics system unusable till the end stages of the game completely sucks.

There is a mod to make it researchable with only green and red science packs. I'm gonna install.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Playing v15.

Requester chests being locked behind the most advanced science packs thereby rendering the logistics system unusable till the end stages of the game completely sucks.

There is a mod to make it researchable with only green and red science packs. I'm gonna install.
    Ha! Mods are for the weak!

Managed to get the yellow high tech science pack without logistics, just belts. Looks a freakin mess but I got there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I always thought that the logistic system trivialized the game a bit. I'm starting work on rocket parts in my current game, I want to see if I can launch without building any logistic bots.

It's the wait for beacons that stung for me. Before them, everything I build is temporary.
    Last edited by Wraith; 05-10-2017 at 10:05 PM.

I always found the logistic system kind of hobbled you eventually, it saves time at first because you don't need to plan as vigorously but that leads to eventually low efficiency and low output. After several "failed" games I managed to get to rockets when I disallowed myself from building logistic requester chests (Provider chests to load stuff into my inventory was still game!)

This game is going up in price in 2 weeks if anyone wanted to pick it up and still hasn't. It's still a good deal at $30, but why not get it for $20 while you can?

queen of the universe littlelolligagged's Avatar
    I keep waiting for it to be on sale, damn it. Why is the price going up?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

The team has a strict no-sale policy. So that ain't gonna happen, get it while you can.

Just started up again, now version 0.16.x was 0.12.x last time I played.

GUI is much more user-friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Just started up again, now version 0.16.x was 0.12.x last time I played.

GUI is much more user-friendly.
    They're gearing up for release now, and the next (probably last) update before then is focusing even more on improving the UI and making the concepts in the game easier to understand. They're doing a full redesign of some aspects of the UI.

I keep wanting to start up a new factory, but I'm trying to hold off until release now.

Cool I'll give it a go.

For a challenge try the Supply scenario. It ramps up every six(ish) minutes demanding certain products to be supplied into boxes that then disappear once you put them in. The game prompts what you need to produce this round and what will be added to your production demands in the next round.

Starts off simple, just stone in round one, but goes up from there, after a few rounds you need to eg give a load of iron plates, iron cogs, science bottles and electric circuits etc. This gives you a challenge because it sort-of prompts you to stay on the right track, but fail to meet the production quota for that round and its Game Over.

The challenge though is that you need to produce enough both to supply for your new quota and to continue your development at a swift pace. So if you're only producing a few red bottles and put them in the box to avoid game over you might get through this round but fall behind the pace for research and then fail in a future round as you're needing to produce something you haven't researched yet.

The latest I've got to is round 13 so far which is about an hour and a half in. Didn't complete the research for automation 2 (for the 3 or 4 ingredient recipes) and so was completing my green bottles etc by hand for ages and eventually ran out of time to be able to produce enough by hand.
    Tried this again and got through automation 2. Gave up when I needed plastic bars and I hadn't started oil production yet. Its a fun challenge.

Started a normal game too, got through early stages and now need to find oil. So far found no signs of alien life, had no biters attack yet.
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Been running radar for ages now which has found lots of aliens, so far they've left me alone. Unfortunately while I've found plenty of uranium (that wasn't there last time) the only oil to be found is smack bang in the middle of an alien hive.

Now built a car, loaded it up with resources to build a second base, starting to get weapon tech and time to go all rambo style on those aliens. See if this works.

EDIT: Was a close run thing, my car was on its last dot of health but I cleared out two alien bases (one over the oil, one on the way to it). The one on the way to the oil had just launched the first attack on my base so its gone now, but reading the guide that's going to evolve and piss off the other aliens. Only issue is I now have oil but there's no water supply near it. The only water on my map is to the far north part of my base (which is quite sprawled out) and then there's a big forest to my south, then desert, then the oil. Will take forever to run a pipe down from my water to my oil. Plus running electricity too (though I guess if I run water down I can just generate a new electricity network on my new base).
    Last edited by RandBlade; 05-17-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Been running radar for ages now which has found lots of aliens, so far they've left me alone. Unfortunately while I've found plenty of uranium (that wasn't there last time) the only oil to be found is smack bang in the middle of an alien hive.

Now built a car, loaded it up with resources to build a second base, starting to get weapon tech and time to go all rambo style on those aliens. See if this works.

EDIT: Was a close run thing, my car was on its last dot of health but I cleared out two alien bases (one over the oil, one on the way to it). The one on the way to the oil had just launched the first attack on my base so its gone now, but reading the guide that's going to evolve and piss off the other aliens. Only issue is I now have oil but there's no water supply near it. The only water on my map is to the far north part of my base (which is quite sprawled out) and then there's a big forest to my south, then desert, then the oil. Will take forever to run a pipe down from my water to my oil. Plus running electricity too (though I guess if I run water down I can just generate a new electricity network on my new base).
    Trains.

Water is infinite, oil is not, so bring the oil to the water rather than the other way around.

Yeah but I thought you needed water to process oil. Forgot that was only advanced oil processing.

EDIT: Oh could have pumped the oil alone and not processed it at all, that would have just required electricity. Oops, good tip.