Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Factorio

Switching off a station (rather than switching off the path) worked much better thank you! Though it then triggered an irritating flickering, like accumulator switches can cause, where multiple trains would go to the same station only for the first to act then then station to switch off to the waiting trains. So I designed an "SR Latch" like I use for Steam backup power.

EG a copper train with 4 carriages can lift 8000 copper ore in one train, so I set the station to switch off if it falls below 8000 waiting ore, but to only switch back on when it has 24k+ waiting ore.

Similarly with an ore unload station I set it to switch off if it has over 40k ore in stock, but to switch back on with 24k remaining.

Could probably cope with other numbers but going with that for now. For next time I restart I think I will try and sooner separate my ore processing from the main base - ore processing takes a ton of space and processed plates have double the stack as unprocessed plates so no reason to be shifting unprocessed ore to the base. As well as potentially having green circuit processing away from the base too. Green circuits are required in everything!

EDIT: Its fun rille! Give it a go

EDIT2: You appear to have multiple station names on top of each other wraith, how have you done that? Are they separate stops that happen to be close, or the same stop, or stops basically touching each other so they're one long stop? I'm guessing the later with filters to ensure the chests get the right goods?

EDIT3: Current map. Solar Farm is now taking nearly as much space as the rest of my complex put together. The rail on the East is a horrible mess, it would around existing buildings (especially my orginal solar farm) and was built using the pathfinder so it is rather awkward but works. Trains driving on the right rather than the left, then the left rather than the right and so on but they cross over fine where required. North, South and West and I've designed a shape that works then stamped it down using blueprints. Took a bit of figuring out, kept making mistakes on corners. Only issue currently is that to turn around a train has to pretty much go the full circuit of the map then turn around. Your regular roundabouts look cool I think I'll need to figure out how to do a roundabout.
    Current Map:
    Last edited by RandBlade; 01-20-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Wow I can see now why you talked about beacon arrays. I got fed up tinkering with Green and Red circuit buildings (managing how much cable is on the belts in particular is frustrating - either the belt fills or empties very quickly). So I built an array of beacons, cable, green circuit and red circuit factories with zero belts just logistic robots (with belts taking the plastic close but then going into provider chests, originally belts then trains taking the copper and iron close and into chests). Hooked this up and my production and demands exploded.

Didn't have anywhere close to enough logistic bots. I had about 1.5k logistic bots for my entire factory until then (its all one giant connected zone excluding solar farm), with my logistic robot factory connected via a chest and logic circuit to add more robots to the roboport if I ever have fewer than 100 available. Before I knew it I had 5.5k logistic bots active so this array upped my demands by ~4000 robots (though only at peak). I hadn't built anywhere close to enough roboports to recharge them so whole area is now surrounded by roboports for recharging, probably overkilled now. I suppose in hindsight had I had more roboports for recharging then fewer robots may have been needed originally, all I could see at first was swarms of robots hovering.

Afterwards I'm still struggling to produce enough red circuits to satisfy my demands, or purple ones, but all red circuit factories now are maxed out on efficiency modules and I'm going to need more plastic production to get any more built. I now have a third of a million copper cable and over a quarter of a million green circuits in my logistic network so I'm not going to need more green circuits I don't think, at least for a long while!

Electricity demands have skyrocketed past anything I've seen before. Now peaking at 1.2 GW of production though that's 0.5GW actually being used and 0.75GW is going to recharging accumulators in the morning.

OTOH SR latches for my train stations seems to have made things much better for my rail network. I realised I wasn't coping with belting in copper and iron to this array (it was demanding more than a whole blue belt which is what I'd hooked to it) so I added a local train station like you've done specifically for it with an SR latch for demanding copper and iron plates. Quickly the trains took the plates here and then it turned red, currently most of my stations are now red as they've got what they need. Only issue is I've got no rail "parking", so far that's not caused a problem but no doubt it will before long.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    EDIT2: You appear to have multiple station names on top of each other wraith, how have you done that? Are they separate stops that happen to be close, or the same stop, or stops basically touching each other so they're one long stop? I'm guessing the later with filters to ensure the chests get the right goods?
    I started dropping my stations right on top of each other for low-volume outposts such as the ones that make arms, belts, or other building supplies. Lets me get the bases running faster and keep it more compact. So I'll have 5 stations or so (1 for output, 1 for fuel, and 1 per input needed), but only 1 can be used at a time. At first I was circuiting them up so only the one that needed a train the most would ever be on at a given time, but then I started getting lazy and just setting them up normally with a simple inventory check to see if they shut down. It means sometimes a line forms, but that hasn't been enough of a problem for me to solve it yet.

Initial setup of red ammo production, with stacked stations in top right:

This was one of my smart bases that makes sure only one station is active at a time, which is what all those combinators are doing.

For rail parking, can't they just park at one of the stations you use? If you're not in a rush, you can set the trains to just stay at a station until it has a full/empty cargo. When trains decide where they're going next, they won't pick a train station that already has a train parked there unless all selectable stations have trains parked. Multiple trains picking the same station and ignoring another should only happen when they all picked their station at around the same time (so none of them were parked yet).

Cool progress, why do you have what looks like 2 iron ore & copper dropoffs? First version before a move? I really do recommend not naming distant stations the same, btw. Just set up a full route and otherwise do the same stuff; it'll work better and you won't have to worry about load balancing or some bases being under/overserved. You probably won't even need your station latches. That same-name trick is better when you have multiple onload/offload points at a single base - so you can have multiple trains loading/unloading simultaneously. Some of the stuff I'm doing is because my silly rules are creating new classes of problems; a lot of what I'm doing isn't a good idea for more normal games.

BTW, how are you doing your SR latches?

I really need to get back into this; I think I left just before setting up the red circuit output station, which was the last thing I needed for blue science. After that I should be able to start expanding more rapidly.
    Last edited by Wraith; 01-21-2020 at 03:41 PM.

The SR latches are working very well, I'd recommend it if you're interested. Only a later addition so not got all stations with it yet, but I think I will make it a part of my blueprint going forwards for any stations I create. Not hooked it up to the stone stations or my northern iron mine but all others are hooked up. My closest copper mine has turned off and on a few time.
    Current Map:
    [/img]

The reason I have 2 iron ore and copper dropoffs is because the original ones (centre-east) feed my city while the newer northern ones have been developed to feed further growth. My original drop-offs could output 4x full red belts at once, that's less than what I need now but all my original factory uses that. Newer developments work off my newer development which can output 8x blue belts at once. 2 of those belts are currently being used already topping up my original lines where its getting weak.

The copper dropoff was still under construction in my last picture, hence all the flashing yellow images on it, its working now.
    EDIT: I don't know why that image isn't working?

My network ground to a complete halt. Got up to producing over 36 rocket parts per minute (so close to 3 minutes per rocket) then I realised ticker was stuck on 109 for ages. Then realised my belts were empty and my trains weren't moving at all. They'd completely gotten deadlocked. In the past I'd only ever had 1 train per route so never had this issue but until now every time my demands were getting tighter I just threw another locomotive on the network and kept adding more and more but now they were getting stuck. I realised a key part of why I was getting stuck was I hadn't left a large enough gap between intersections. At my original rail area before I started planning it I'd hooked everything together and ended up with a maze of criss-crossing. At my new copper areas the gap between the copper ore drop-off and the copper plate processing isn't big enough to fit a whole train. Also I was getting massive queues on the main route blocking other rails from going.

Spent ages redesigning my railways and still repeatedly they kept getting stuck. I don't particularly demolishing and rebuilding part of the copper section but that would probably be a better long term solution. Ended up designing roundabouts for many of the problematic intersections, and in my original area where there was a whole heap of criss-crossing I've replaced it with one huge roundabout with 5 spokes going off it for each of the directions of travel. Also linked up the Eastern part of the network to the Southern part so trains don't have to do a full circle to fetch iron. Added a parking lot for ore drop offs so that waiting vehicles don't block the main routes.

This took me ages last night to redesign, meanwhile no more rockets were getting launched. Finally got it working then quit the game, so not sure if it will hold up. Seems railways are definitely my next big challenge to master, felt a bit easy with bots and not needing belts but rails definitely aren't that easy.

Also keep getting biter attacks now. Don't know where they're coming from, my pollution has skyrocketed and the pollution cloud extends past the radar map. I thought I'd murdered all the biters this side of the water and the water would protect me but I was wrong clearly.
    Full Map, can't really see through the pollution cloud:

Eastern Rail Routes (pollution removed from map):

I wish I'd taken a before picture of the rail mess lol.

OTOH by the time I'd fixed my rail routes everything I was struggling with before like red circuits, plastic etc now seems to be massively stockpiled. Is it possible to load up an overview of the logistic system storage as is shown when you hover over a chest? It can be quite hard to read as it jumps around loads with the things that aren't stockpiled high.
    Logistic Network Storage:
    Last edited by RandBlade; 01-23-2020 at 12:56 PM.

The Dev of the game made all the SJWs mad - beautiful to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The Dev of the game made all the SJWs mad - beautiful to watch
    In case anyone is curious what this dumbass is talking about:

Dev linked to a known racist and sexist in a blog post. Fans asked for a disclaimer via reddit subreddit. Dev's response was so inflammatory it crossed group rules and was removed. Dev had a day long melt down on Twitter. Dev's previous stances against statutory rape being illegal and in support of pedophilia come to light and the dev calls it all free advertising.

It's been largely kept as an internal community thing thus far, man baby stories just don't have the legs like they used to.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 06-23-2021 at 12:17 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Oh jeez.

Shame, this is a great game but that's messed up.

I'd not come across any of this and kind of wish I hadn't now. GAH. Is the Dev a one man band?

sadly no, he is the lead designer and a cofounder. So there are some innocent people whos lives could be upended by this douchebag.

The creeps tantrum does have a positive side, all the noise has doubled google traffic towards the game Satisfactory compared to last week.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Struggling to find any mainstream media write-ups of what happened. All I can find is this one: https://nichegamer.com/2021/06/20/at...reviews-swell/

That basically says that the guy was trying to stay out of culture war debates and was rude about it - but I've never heard of that site before so I have no idea if its credible or incredibly biased. Given the rather triumphalist tone in the article, I'm guessing the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Struggling to find any mainstream media write-ups of what happened. All I can find is this one: https://nichegamer.com/2021/06/20/at...reviews-swell/

That basically says that the guy was trying to stay out of culture war debates and was rude about it - but I've never heard of that site before so I have no idea if its credible or incredibly biased. Given the rather triumphalist tone in the article, I'm guessing the latter.
    If you want to balance that out with a slant from the other side:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/...culture_after/

Basically he spoke positively about something Person A did (completely unrelated to politics) Some random SJW said "Person A is problematic" to which the Dev responded "Take your cancel culture and shove it up your ass." Which is entirely appropriate.

One of the quotes by the dev that makes all the cancel culture warriors quite upset:

"I won't even search him up. You know why? Because I don't care at all. I don't care if he cheats on his wife, is a bigot, or pays proper tips in restaurant. These things are simply not relevant. If Stalin had a good writeup on programming, would linking that be dangerous, because some people might read it, start liking HIM, thus start liking communism and the inevitable mass murder that follows it? Is this how little we trust other individuals when it comes to access to information? I personally trust my readers to have the ability to create their own opinions instead of blindly following whatever says the person they like."