Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Factorio

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Tried the new game with default settings (no mod) and it kept coming up with awkward maps where I could only find one or at most two of coal, iron and copper. Even after walking in random directions until coming to monsters I could only find them. I don't see how you can start without at least iron and copper (coal you could avoid at first by chopping trees). Then tried with the RSO mod mentioned above and it gave me a starting point with an absolutely enormous amount of everything.
    RSO guarantees one of each resource in the starting area. I thought that was default behavior too, but I guess not. The patches do tend to be a bit big; in my first game with a rocket launch I only needed to expand to one each of iron and copper fields, and two new oil fields to get what I needed. My current game is generated with small patches & many aliens, to make expansion both more necessary and harder.

Have some images from this game:

Full expansion:

Local View:

Right now, my expansion is throttled a bit by the ore. I wanted to move the railstations near my base up a ways to make room for multiple stations of each kind, and so I can run at least two tracks in each direction.

Lab complex:

I wound up moving the labs three times.

Full Map:

I completely lost track of actually launching the rocket in this game. I think I might just give it up anyways and try one of the more expansive mod sets like Bob's Mod + Dytech.

Factorio just last week received a rather big new update with 0.15. There's more of a point to rocket launches now, infinite research, persistent blueprints and blueprint books, and nuclear power & bombs. Also blue science is a bit easier to automate now, though the trade-off is that now there's also yellow, production, military, and space sciences too. It's probably worth revisiting if you liked it the first time. Or purchasing, if for some reason you neglected to buy it before.

You may need to opt-in to betas to get the latest 0.15 update. It's plenty stable though; haven't gotten too deep, but haven't had any bugs yet.

Playing v15.

Requester chests being locked behind the most advanced science packs thereby rendering the logistics system unusable till the end stages of the game completely sucks.

There is a mod to make it researchable with only green and red science packs. I'm gonna install.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Playing v15.

Requester chests being locked behind the most advanced science packs thereby rendering the logistics system unusable till the end stages of the game completely sucks.

There is a mod to make it researchable with only green and red science packs. I'm gonna install.
    Ha! Mods are for the weak!

Managed to get the yellow high tech science pack without logistics, just belts. Looks a freakin mess but I got there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I always thought that the logistic system trivialized the game a bit. I'm starting work on rocket parts in my current game, I want to see if I can launch without building any logistic bots.

It's the wait for beacons that stung for me. Before them, everything I build is temporary.
    Last edited by Wraith; 05-10-2017 at 10:05 PM.

I always found the logistic system kind of hobbled you eventually, it saves time at first because you don't need to plan as vigorously but that leads to eventually low efficiency and low output. After several "failed" games I managed to get to rockets when I disallowed myself from building logistic requester chests (Provider chests to load stuff into my inventory was still game!)

This game is going up in price in 2 weeks if anyone wanted to pick it up and still hasn't. It's still a good deal at $30, but why not get it for $20 while you can?

I keep waiting for it to be on sale, damn it. Why is the price going up?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

The team has a strict no-sale policy. So that ain't gonna happen, get it while you can.

Just started up again, now version 0.16.x was 0.12.x last time I played.

GUI is much more user-friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Just started up again, now version 0.16.x was 0.12.x last time I played.

GUI is much more user-friendly.
    They're gearing up for release now, and the next (probably last) update before then is focusing even more on improving the UI and making the concepts in the game easier to understand. They're doing a full redesign of some aspects of the UI.

I keep wanting to start up a new factory, but I'm trying to hold off until release now.

Cool I'll give it a go.

For a challenge try the Supply scenario. It ramps up every six(ish) minutes demanding certain products to be supplied into boxes that then disappear once you put them in. The game prompts what you need to produce this round and what will be added to your production demands in the next round.

Starts off simple, just stone in round one, but goes up from there, after a few rounds you need to eg give a load of iron plates, iron cogs, science bottles and electric circuits etc. This gives you a challenge because it sort-of prompts you to stay on the right track, but fail to meet the production quota for that round and its Game Over.

The challenge though is that you need to produce enough both to supply for your new quota and to continue your development at a swift pace. So if you're only producing a few red bottles and put them in the box to avoid game over you might get through this round but fall behind the pace for research and then fail in a future round as you're needing to produce something you haven't researched yet.

The latest I've got to is round 13 so far which is about an hour and a half in. Didn't complete the research for automation 2 (for the 3 or 4 ingredient recipes) and so was completing my green bottles etc by hand for ages and eventually ran out of time to be able to produce enough by hand.
    Tried this again and got through automation 2. Gave up when I needed plastic bars and I hadn't started oil production yet. Its a fun challenge.

Started a normal game too, got through early stages and now need to find oil. So far found no signs of alien life, had no biters attack yet.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Been running radar for ages now which has found lots of aliens, so far they've left me alone. Unfortunately while I've found plenty of uranium (that wasn't there last time) the only oil to be found is smack bang in the middle of an alien hive.

Now built a car, loaded it up with resources to build a second base, starting to get weapon tech and time to go all rambo style on those aliens. See if this works.

EDIT: Was a close run thing, my car was on its last dot of health but I cleared out two alien bases (one over the oil, one on the way to it). The one on the way to the oil had just launched the first attack on my base so its gone now, but reading the guide that's going to evolve and piss off the other aliens. Only issue is I now have oil but there's no water supply near it. The only water on my map is to the far north part of my base (which is quite sprawled out) and then there's a big forest to my south, then desert, then the oil. Will take forever to run a pipe down from my water to my oil. Plus running electricity too (though I guess if I run water down I can just generate a new electricity network on my new base).
    Last edited by RandBlade; 05-17-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Been running radar for ages now which has found lots of aliens, so far they've left me alone. Unfortunately while I've found plenty of uranium (that wasn't there last time) the only oil to be found is smack bang in the middle of an alien hive.

Now built a car, loaded it up with resources to build a second base, starting to get weapon tech and time to go all rambo style on those aliens. See if this works.

EDIT: Was a close run thing, my car was on its last dot of health but I cleared out two alien bases (one over the oil, one on the way to it). The one on the way to the oil had just launched the first attack on my base so its gone now, but reading the guide that's going to evolve and piss off the other aliens. Only issue is I now have oil but there's no water supply near it. The only water on my map is to the far north part of my base (which is quite sprawled out) and then there's a big forest to my south, then desert, then the oil. Will take forever to run a pipe down from my water to my oil. Plus running electricity too (though I guess if I run water down I can just generate a new electricity network on my new base).
    Trains.

Water is infinite, oil is not, so bring the oil to the water rather than the other way around.

Yeah but I thought you needed water to process oil. Forgot that was only advanced oil processing.

EDIT: Oh could have pumped the oil alone and not processed it at all, that would have just required electricity. Oops, good tip.

Not played this since 2018, was tempted to give it another go (not sure if its changed) but saw on Steam a game called Factory Town which looks like a cartoonish earth-based similar style of game. Any thoughts?

LOL started a new game and spent 3 minutes trying to figure out where the pickaxe was that was always the first step only to find it was removed in update 0.17

Got a decent start in a few games only to be overwhelmed by biters before I could unlock oil. Got myself a base now with a wall around it and turrets which can fend off the biters, for now at least, though I suspect I may have to upgrade my wall or turrets before long.

Currently struggling to produce blue (chemical) science bottles in much volume, got only one engine factory which doesn't help. I've just unlocked modules and I've never used these before - speed and productivity I've unlocked but I'm not sure if they're worth it or not.

Productivity gives a 4% bonus but a 5% speed reduction, by my maths that means it will produce actually slightly less than without it (1.04*0.96 = 0.988) while consuming more energy so you're basically just saving a bit on the intermediary product before it but not producing any more right?
    While speed gives a 20% bonus but a 50% increase in energy consumption and thus pollution. Is this worth it? Or are you better off just doing another manufactory instead? Afterall 2 manufactories will result in 200% energy and 200% output but one manufactory with 2 speed modules will result in 200% energy and 140% output.

Am I missing something?

Use productivity on things that are expensive, because it's giving you free items every once in a while. Where needed you can couple the productivity with speed to offset the downsides. As you accumulate productivity modules, it can eventually pay to use it on just about everything because the free resources will help keep your factory from starving. Speed is worth it when you put it with productivity modules, or you can put it on things like oil wells (even depleted ones) to increase the draw. You're generally better off building more manufacturers or whatever than using speed, but sometimes it's easier just to speed up what you have with beacons than to build more, due to space constraints or distance or whatever.

Your rocket launch sites should be surrounded by productivity beacons.

Thanks. Noticed my electric miner drills were causing the bulk of my pollution so put efficiency modules into those which slashed my pollution massively without dropping output. Also that slashed my electricity demand and so for the first time ever got to the point where solar power was feeding my energy and accumulators can cope with night time. Which led to me using a logic circuit for the first time (in order to turn steam engines off unless accumulators dip below 10%). Not used circuits before, took a lot of trial and error and Googling until I was able to make the power switch work. Wondering what else to use logic circuits on.

Normally only get up to trains and a little bit past that but then quit. Got past train technologies (but not developed a train network yet) and now researching flying robots which I've been reading about on Wiki. Never used flying robots before, they look useful in avoiding a mess of transport belts. But can the robots only carry 1 item or 1 stack at a time without upgrades? If its only 1 item then I'm not sure how useful they'll be until further research is done.

1 item before research. But like everything else in the game, you should automate their production. The logistics capacity of your drone network blows up quickly.

Got my first fully automated train network going which means I'm sprawled out across 5 locations now which is more than I have ever go before. Its like a game of whackamole, constantly identifying what your problem is and just trying to deal with that. I ran out of ores in my original location so I've got a new ore field which is where I'm starting my new primary base (trying to spread things out more there so I can expand production without running into things). Claimed a new copper field and got trains automated to take that to my new base.

Had a small oil field not far from my original base but that's nowhere near water, ran underground pipes to get water there. Found a larger oil field (even further from water), got 8 pumps taking that oil, pumping it onto a train which is automated taking it to my original oil field base for processing. Then got a third train running the processed plastic and sulphur over to my new base.

Spent ages doing this, not gotten any further on building robots while doing this or much further on research. Managed to keep pollution very low but spent many, many hours in game so evolution is still ticking up, currently up to 38% but still only getting small and medium biters and spitters. My only defence is still turrets with basic bullets but they're holding up.

Not sure where to go next. Tempted to try and figure out robots, but then my electricity demand is shooting up and I have hundreds of solar panels and hundreds maybe a thousand accumulators but its still not enough now to get through the night, so tempted to try and get nuclear power working instead. I've never gotten this far in technology so this is all new to me. Found a uranium field which is quite a long way away but now I know how to use trains to automate moving liquids I figure I could move sulfuric acid to the uranium field then move the uranium back to my base (more secure) and build a nuclear plant there? I'm guessing with nuclear power could then unlock laser turrets for defence?

edit: reading into it nuclear seems overkill. I have more accumulators than I need but not enough solar so they aren't getting recharged fully. Logistic bots so I can start using blueprints (never touched them either) may be a better idea. On the other hand nuclear seems very powerful and once started I wouldn't need to worry too much about power going forwards.

Am I right in thinking Steam stored is essentially like an accumulator? So if demand spikes then more steam can be drawn so long as you're not maxed out?
    Last edited by RandBlade; 12-31-2019 at 11:19 AM.

You can get by with solar alone, but you'll have to automate production of solar plants and accumulators. You'll also need a ton of space for your solar fields - when I did pure solar, the solar plants + accumulators took up 3-4x the space of everything else combined. I hope you've at least got construction bots running, because it's going to be pretty tedious to expand your solar without being able to just plop down a blueprint for a vast solar farm and immediately wander off. With solar, I usually like to set up a backup coal plant that uses circuits to only spin up when the accumulators drop below ~20%.

Nuclear isn't overkill. However much power you produce, you will start to run out. Nuclear is fun too, and you have to blow yourself up trying to nuke a biter cluster at least once. It's like getting run over by your own trains - it's an essential part of the factorio experience.

Steam can be stored, but it gets consumed very, very quickly, so there's usually not much of point. It's not like boilers are super expensive or complicated anyways - just build more of those instead.

---

All this Factorio talk has made me want to play again, and I'm trying to switch to a trackball instead of a mouse, so I'm using the excuse that Factorio is just for practice. It's taking longer than expected for the full release of the game anyways, which was when I planned to pick it up again. This game I'm trying to make my factory entirely rail-based, so I'm giving myself the restriction that each base I make can only produce 1 thing, and I have to use rail to get everything else in and out. I used the railword worldgen settings, and turned the resources to be as rare as possible, then used the RSI mod to make them even more rare. The patches are bigger than I really want, but I didn't realize that until it was too late to start over, so I guess I'm going with giant-sized patches each several minutes away from each other.

I'm a couple hours in now, and I used my starter base to get up to rail tech, and then abandoned it. It was kinda nice to just embrace the spaghetti and not have to worry about planning for future extensibility. I've only gotten as far as iron plates for the rail base, and I had to burn through about 3k rail segments just to get that set up. I'm really wishing I had construction bots to help out with this. I think I have a solid plan to deal with distributing fuel and logistics equipment, and for preventing factory starvation, but this might lead to some interesting problems since everything is so far away from everything else. This is also my first game since cliffs were added, so they're making rail navigation trickier.

Base so far:

Biters haven't been a problem yet, and I sorta wish I had turned them up higher, but from past experience once I've made enough pollution for them to start expanding aggressively they'll become a proper threat.

I also just noticed that incoming attack off to the east when I grabbed this shot - I guess I'll have to deal with that when I play again tonight.
    Last edited by Wraith; 12-31-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Expanded my chemical production with what I hope is a smart use of circuits too (probably not very original or complicated).

Now got 6 oil refineries splitting crude oil into the 3 types of oil, each with 4 storage tanks as a buffer.. Petroleum going for plastic and sulfur which goes to sulfuric acid, heavy oil going to lubricant. Then got one heavy oil to light oil cracking plant and two light oil to petroleum cracking ones.

One of each storage tank type is connected via red wires to electric poles so if I hover my mouse over an electric pole I can see an overview of storage capacity (not sure if there's a screen or another way of doing that).
    There are pumps before the cracking chemical plants. The light oil to petroleum cracking is set to activate if light oil > petroleum in the tanks. Heavy oil cracking is set to activate if heavy oil > light oil. Had thought of doing hard numbers but that seemed the simplest way of doing it.

The resource patch size was bugging me more than I thought, but not enough to make me restart, so instead I did some computer magic to regenerate all my map's resource patches with less generous settings.

Stopping just before starting red science production. I've had to start doing some circuit network magic to keep things working right now that I have duplicate input stations, and since I don't want to have to start manually managing the trains. My starter base is about half torn down now, and it no longer produces anything useful. Even power production is on the rail network now.

Biggest coming problem is that the biters are starting to get mean, and I still have a ways to go before I can start my military research.

Map Day 2:

I'm pretty sure nobody actually cares about these maps, but I like being able to look back at how I developed these things.

Saw on a pop-up at the start that you can connect the Science facilties to each other with inserters. Seems like an option to do away with the spaghetti mess of transport belts trying to carry all the variety of bottles around the facilities (or trying to design a working "sushi belt" with them all). Just connect an inserter to add all the bottles to the first one then get them passed down the chain. Shouldn't lose any space having a gap for an inserter anyway as you need a row for an inserter next to the belt.

Is there a downside to doing it this way? I'd be worried the inserters maybe can't move the bottles down the chain fast enough unlike a conveyer belt.

No serious disadvantage to it. It takes longer to distribute your science, but you probably won't even notice. Use fast inserters if you do this.

What I've always preferred is to use each line on a belt separately. So I have an Red/Green belt, a Blue/Black belt, Purple/Yellow, and White. It bothers me a bit that one of the belts only gets one color. But anyways, If you haven't split a belt before, with R/G it looks like this:

R
    v
    >>>>>
    ^
    G

So Green will wind up on the bottom and red on the top. No sushi belt, everything has a dedicated line. Then you just need 2 belts on either side running past your labs, with 2 regular and 2 long reach inserters per lab, and you're good.

Thanks. Got a bit muddled with my priorities, largely because I wasn't moving all my resources to the same area I suspect (and was ignoring a lot of things that required stone). I've ended up producing thousands of the purple circuits without automating production of purple science yet. I thought purple circuits were required for that, missing they were required instead for the yellow science. So I'm close to being able to automate yellow and purple science at the same time, oops.

Still not got any flying robots yet. I think I might in this game skip them and try and figure everything else out instead - and thus go for the achievement for winning without using logistics.

Managed to get my first U-235 as well as a load of U-238 so can start making 10 fuel cells, then realised the heat exchangers, reactor etc require a load of goods to get started.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 01-02-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Realised there's a copper and iron deposit not far from my uranium deposit (the uranium was at the far edge of my old radar-scouted area so couldn't see more) so figure its probably worth simply crafting the copper in-situ there rather than trying to transport it in. Building a nuclear plant seems to require an insane amount of copper etc - should then be able to carry back the cells and finished nuclear facilities back to my base camp (its far too far to keep as one electric network I think really).

Only issue is there's an insane [for what I'm used to] amount of biter activity near the uranium. Not sure if this is just because of how far I am from my starting area now, or if uranium attracts them. Not sure if there's a better method to take a sceenshot, used Windows Snipping Tool.
    Full Map:

Uranium Area:
    Last edited by RandBlade; 01-02-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Still not got any flying robots yet. I think I might in this game skip them and try and figure everything else out instead - and thus go for the achievement for winning without using logistics.
    At least get construction bots. They're extremely useful to quickly build up, and they don't count against the logistics bot achievement.

Only issue is there's an insane [for what I'm used to] amount of biter activity near the uranium.
    The further you get away from the starter area, the bigger the enemy bases and the richer the resource deposits.

What are the blue lines on your map?

It grows: