Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Factorio

The blue lines are power cables. Not sure why they show on my map and not yours. Got a working nuclear plant now and my energy demand has skyrocketed by replacing all my Assembling Machines with Assembling Machine 3's. Solars manage through the day but can't recharge the accumulators sufficiently now. Scrapped my boilers and put my nuclear reactor onto a a smarter SR switch that I googled.

Plate consumption has sky rocketted with the improved machines so later ones stopped working so grabbed a third iron ore field now.

Still not automated purple science or got yellow science yet. Doing manual purple science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Got a centrifuge running Kevorax reprocessing to convert U-238 to U-235 but I'm wondering if its even necessary. I have discovered ~70 U-235 via regular centrifuges which is enough for 700 fuel cells. My Kevorax process has created a further 300 U-235 so that's another 3000 fuel cells. Can't see myself ever running low on those now. OTOH I have about 12k U-238 so may as well convert some but it seems by the time you have 40 to start this process its already not so necessary?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

When the map's open there are controls on the right side to turn on/off various things like power lines. Found it after I asked. I guess I turned off displaying power at some point years ago and promptly forgot.

You can always find things to do with more power. Moduling up my furnaces always hits my power grid hard.

---

Figured out a better way to do low-volume train outposts that I'll probably be using for the future. I'm putting all the stations right on top of each other and using circuits so that only the most needed one is on at any given time. The width of the tracks to do the U turn is perfect for 2 rows of factories/furnaces/whatever, so this lets me build very compact bases, and I still have room to scale them up later. I'm a little embarrassed it took me this long to think of doing it this way.

Red ammo example:

My refueling scheme isn't working out; having dedicated refueling stations is causing traffic jams, and no train is ever parked there long enough to get the intelligent routing behavior so that the load is distributed. I'm probably going to adapt this same scheme to start putting refueling setups right on top of all my output stations, with a couple fuel trains keeping everything stocked.

Almost ready for black science, started setting up that station when I realized I forgot the grenades. Jayne would be disappointed in me.

Full map:
    Last edited by Wraith; 01-05-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Got some construction bots, they're pretty cool. Not long after I got them enemies got through my defences at my oil refinery. I took out the enemies and bots started swarming around repairing and reconstructing my oil network (which would have taken me a lot longer, it is a spaghetti mess of underground pipes criss crossing).

Not sure I still relatively get the point of construction bots beyond maintenance/repairs/replacements though there must be more I've not mastered yet. Tried removing sections with the red deconstructor tool but when I click it, the bots swarm and remove things but I can't seem to easily leave that mod. Reclicking the red square doesn't leave it. Also tried making a few blueprints regarding gun turrets, though the bots place the turrets but not the bullets which isn't a big help. Also the blueprints seem to be becoming items taking up slots in my inventory which is weird and reducing my personal capacity, is that right? I wouldn't have considered a blueprint to be an item.

Been trying to be relatively peaceful with the native biters etc trying to keep pollution as low as possible. Also been avoiding where possible clearing trees because they get rid of pollution but I'm not sure how useful that actually was because evolution is based on pollution at creation isn't it? After my oil refinery was damaged and repaid I got a Power Armour Mk2 with a shield and went all Rambo and went into and destroyed all the spawner points near my factories.

Full Map:

EDIT: Whoops! Was just at night at my oil processing facililty (which has almost my entire accumulator farm) and it ran out of electricity which shouldn't have happened as the nuclear facility should have kicked in. Got to my nuclear facility and it was all working. Went back and forth a few times and discovered ultimately that biters had destroyed one of my big electricity poles linking my original base to my oil processing facility. The issue wasn't the nuclear plant.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 01-05-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Not sure I still relatively get the point of construction bots beyond maintenance/repairs/replacements though there must be more I've not mastered yet. Tried removing sections with the red deconstructor tool but when I click it, the bots swarm and remove things but I can't seem to easily leave that mod. Reclicking the red square doesn't leave it. Also tried making a few blueprints regarding gun turrets, though the bots place the turrets but not the bullets which isn't a big help. Also the blueprints seem to be becoming items taking up slots in my inventory which is weird and reducing my personal capacity, is that right? I wouldn't have considered a blueprint to be an item.

Been trying to be relatively peaceful with the native biters etc trying to keep pollution as low as possible. Also been avoiding where possible clearing trees because they get rid of pollution but I'm not sure how useful that actually was because evolution is based on pollution at creation isn't it? After my oil refinery was damaged and repaid I got a Power Armour Mk2 with a shield and went all Rambo and went into and destroyed all the spawner points near my factories.
    Once you have the portable drone depot for your power armor, the construction bots in your inventory will go out and construct any blueprints you plop down. After you have construction bots, you shouldn't be constructing by hand anymore - you just place the ghost image from a blueprint or by holding shift, and let the bots do all the work.

If you're using default railworld settings, biters won't expand like they do in normal games, so if you're good about clearing out their bases you can avoid biter attacks entirely. In mine I do have them set to expand, just very slowly so I have a chance to respond since I'm so spread out. Outside of my pollution sphere things are starting to look pretty hairy though,

edit:

Biters scrub pollution just like trees do, but they produce more biters as they absorb pollution, and once enough pollution-produced biters are together they'll run off towards the nearest pollution source to try to destroy it. So while you're not slowing their evolution, you're still preventing attacks.
    Last edited by Wraith; 01-05-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Ok last time I had Power Armor not Mk2. Just got it and installed a bunch of energy shields and exoskeletons and now it's like playing in God Mode lol. Running across the map in seconds and can clear a hive without the aid of
    gun turrets now.

Not been ran over by a train yet but just ran along a track head first into the train and survived gaining the Golem achievement lol.

Nearing the end game now. Close to doing the rocket research. Got rocket fuel (and nuclear fuel already) but not the other parts all yet. Not very efficient though after blue bottles most of my stuff afterwards isn't fully self running. I've got a lot of machines being fed from chests and I'm running thing and back and forth manually refilling the chests.

That's not the end game. The end game doesn't happen until after you're at 1 rocket per minute.

I thought firing the rocket was winning the game?

EDIT: I know you can go past that with the white sciences and infinite techs. I think I'll do that in a future game where what I've done to this point is automated rather than manually supplied by chests.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 01-06-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks for your advice. Since I thought I wouldn't do white science this game I figured may as well take this opportunity to pay homage to Douglas Adams with this first game.

Passing from Science Lab to Science Lab did not work well. Maybe if there was a manual cap of 1 on the inserters but half the labs were routinely not working because the next lab in the chain was removing all of a science bottle it needed so they were flickering on and off constantly.

Tried beacons at the end briefly to rush the final goods I needed for the rocket, the rocket was consuming the parts quicker than I was producing them so I maxed the rocket with 4 x Productivity 3 modules and surrounded the buildings producing the parts I needed with speed beacons. Tried productivity beacons but apparently that's not allowed.

Am I right then in thinking that beacons are only really that useful for Speed? Since Efficiency just lowers electricity consumption and the Beacon consumes a tremendous amount of electricity itself so that seems rather pointless.

Do you design new blueprints every game or do you have a book of blueprints that you copy from game to game? If so, how do you do that? I can see you can export and import strings but there doesn't seem to be a way to save blueprints which seems an omission.

It's been too long for me to remember exactly how I configured beacons. I remember that the energy multipliers can get pretty insane, but I think that if you're at the point where you can afford to fully beacon factories then you're probably able to meet the energy requirements without too much trouble anyways. I do remember mostly using speed & productivity, and not a lot of efficiency.

You can save blueprints by dragging them between screens. I think your current game screen is on the left, and the cross-game is on the right. I don't keep blueprints in my inventory. Just drag the blueprint into the screen on the right to keep them cross-game. You can also export them as strings if you want to share them. I do have a set of blueprints I keep from game to game, mostly high-end stuff with things like complicated compact factory designs, and also a book of rail plans. I only ever target megabases for playthroughs, so most of my blueprints tend to be endgame stuff. Before I start mass producing beacons, everything else I build is only temporary.

Not sure what you mean by game on the left and right. Do you start multiple instances of the game and split screen them?

Starting to get the hang of blueprints. Just done simple ones so far like a run of belts (making it easier to lay a long belt than do it tile by tile and 2 belts sandwiching a run of electric furnaces with inserters either side taking from one belt and putting the finished good in another. I'm sure there's much more you can do but just got my first train of this new game to an iron ore field and was very quickly able to set up processing.

Also downloaded from online a single blueprint for a 21/25/1 solar/accumulator substation grid. Makes it much less irritating to build solar farms when you can just tile a perfectly balanced farm quickly. Though it does get spacious quick!

May start my first logistic network soon. Currently thinking of using it for copper which I know is not ideal but I have spread out various buildings that are currently gaining it from chests. Rebuilding whole base to get a belt there seems a pain so may try out logistics while I see about finding a new copper farm (my radars have found very few resources so far).

I meant the blueprint window. There's a line down the center that divides your current game blueprints (left) and your cross-game blueprints (right). You can drag between them.

I didn't know about the blueprint window lol. Found it now and found blueprints I made last game, that's much better thanks!

Struggling in this game because I've been a bit too ambitious and too clever by half. Thought last time I needed lots of green and red circuits so built loads of green (initially for inserters but continued) then loads of red on same track. Used half a red belt for copper cable to feed both factories and put the plastic for the red circuits on the other half. As I grew I kept needing to add more cable manufactories, but now I've realised adding more isn't doing anything - my half belt is 100% full of copper cable at the start of the path, but then running out by the end of it. In order to improve throughput I will need to build a new section elsewhere. Oops.

I'm interested in your train tracks. Trains are not something I've mastered yet, so far I've done multiple single lane tracks with a single locomotive on it with an engine top and tailing it so it can go both ways. So never used signals yet but I think I understand the logic behind them now. A basic signal means "don't enter this block unless its clear" while a chain signal means "don't enter unless the exit block is also clear" (which can be chained multiple times). Your tracks look very neatly organised with parallel tracks and neat curves - are you using the rail planner, or doing it manually, or using blueprints to post those?

Spreading your factory out so much how are you managing power? Are you linking all your sections using big power poles? I've started carrying accumulators/solar panels with me whenever I start a new outpost but I'm guessing I'm wasting a lot of resources by not linking them.

So far I've only tried maps using default settings since I restarted playing and I am not using any mods. Are you using different settings and are you using any mods? I remember last time speaking about RSO, not sure if that's still around for v0.17 or whether to use it? Or any others?

Haven't had time to play in a while, but I'm hoping I can carve out some time this weekend.

I have some blueprints I use for intersections, but right now most of my rails are placed manually. I keep them with 3 rails distance between them, so it's easy to quickly verify that I haven't screwed anything up, and I only need to verify when I've done a curve. All my trains drive on the left, so the rail signals go on the inside of the tracks. Once I get to construction bots, I'll likely switch to using blueprints for most of the straight sections too.

I run my power between the tracks. I have two different power stations and usually run power between all my tracks, so there's redundancy in the power routes in case biters come to take a bite out of some of my poles.

RSO is still valid for v0.17, and I still like it because vanilla still puts resources too close together for me. I also use a "squeek through" mod that lets makes sure there's always a route around things in my factory, because I don't like having to walk the long way around tightly packed parts of the factory. I've also got YARM (yet another resource monitor), and FARL (fully automated rail layer), but I haven't actually used either of them this game. Haven't been paying enough attention to other mods. I remember not liking Bob's mod, which is popular, because it makes the early game harder and the late game much, much easier, which is the exact opposite of what I want.

Black Science:

Now it's a race to see if I can automate blue science before my base gets eaten by biters.

Funky! That's a lot of rail.

I've restarted, trying to be less "spaghetti" like with my base and being more organised in lines. Gone for a rail world map design.

In prior games I've built core stuff but built most stuff I placed myself - eg I'd craft belts and regular yellow inserters in factories but craft the underground belts and other types of inserters personally on demand. This time I've automated the crafting of undergrounds, splitters and all the inserter types I've discovered so far (no stack ones yet).

Railword designs lead to some humongous deposits compared to what I'm used to! Scouted a 40m uranium deposit. God know what kind of demands would need all that. None of the other deposits are close to that.

Being more organised has helped this run. Rather than producing a ton of iron wheels at the start then having that wind around I'm trying a "main bus" idea out with one path of iron, copper, green circuits and steel then splitting off that and producing wheels etc wherever they're needed. It's helping so far though still early days.

Just gone to tap the oil deposit my radars have found so I can start working on red circuits etc which last time was where my organisation collapsed. Not sure how to organise my oil processing. That always ends up a hideous mess of underground piped spaghetti whenever I do it.

Jeez robots en-masse can be quick but are a major energy hog. I unlocked logistics robots, got myself around 700 of them buzzing around then ran out of electricity, could not get through the night even when I stopped my Steam being backup only. Realised the roboports were using more energy than the rest of my entire factory combined!

So ended up switching back to using belts for what I was using logistic bots for to drop my energy demands. Kind of defeats the point.

To be fair I have got quite a big [for me] factory now with efficiency modules in all everything. If it wasn't for those my electricity demands would be about 4x what they are.
    Electricity Graph:

I unlocked yellow science before purple as I wanted the logisitics network. Want to upgrade my automations to level 3 now that I have purple science but I either need to build a nuclear plant or hell of a lot more solar first.

Wraith what would you recommend as a target after the rocket launch? You said earlier you're not near the end until you're at one rocket per minute but after a rocket launch I'm not sure why to target next?

Being more modular with the design (even if not to your extent) has definitely helped with expanding production. Prior game I was struggling to extend red circuit production but everything was enmeshed. This time I've got green circuits, copper plates and plastic coming in and red circuits going out. By doing everything in its own section can deal with slow downs or bottlenecks easier. Just used robots to mirror my red circuits doubling theoretically it's output except now of course struggling with greens which in part is due to iron running out so need another ore field.

Automate your rocket launches. Go biter murderin'. Do you have biter expansion turned on in your game? Usually by the time I'm launching rockets, they're throwing themselves against my walls at a fast pace, and it gets more challenging to expand & feed the factory while keeping them at bay.

Can I ask you a question regarding trains. Let say you have a good needed at multiple far-flung places. EG I see you have multiple Gear Dropoff's and I'm assuming later on you'll have a ton of Green Circuit Dropoff's - how do you ensure trains with Gears or Circuits or whatever they're carrying go to the station that needs them the most, rather than repeatedly going to the same one which is closer but already full?

I've not experimented with this yet, I've only ever got trains going from A to B and back again. Got my first circular routes now which criss-cross each other. Got 3 trains on the Iron Ore to Iron Plate circuit so that one can be always moving while another loads or unloads. I'd like to be able to drop plates off at multiple places now though, my belt system is getting ludicrously big for me to extend now.

Can I ask you a question regarding trains. Let say you have a good needed at multiple far-flung places. EG I see you have multiple Gear Dropoff's and I'm assuming later on you'll have a ton of Green Circuit Dropoff's - how do you ensure trains with Gears or Circuits or whatever they're carrying go to the station that needs them the most, rather than repeatedly going to the same one which is closer but already full?

I've not experimented with this yet, I've only ever got trains going from A to B and back again. Got my first circular routes now which criss-cross each other. Got 3 trains on the Iron Ore to Iron Plate circuit so that one can be always moving while another loads or unloads. I'd like to be able to drop plates off at multiple places now though, my belt system is getting ludicrously big for me to extend now.
    You can just have "Iron Plate Dropoff 1" and "Iron Plate Dropoff 2". In most games, I just manually set the train routes to each station on the map. All my sites usually have unique names because there aren't as many of them. I only use that same-station-name trick for multiple train slots at a single site, and I have belt balancers to keep the belts evenly fed when I do that, so it doesn't matter which station a train goes to.

The only reason I don't just do that in my game is that I am building way, way too many stations with my silly self-imposed rules. I don't want to manually manage the routes, it would be way too tedious. I can't make a train always go where I need it the most, but between using circuit networks to disable saturated locations, having a high train:station ratio, long station stops to prevent other trains from choosing that station, and the sheer bandwidth of a train-based infrastructure I can usually keep things going.

I figured it out. I had two copper mines both named Copper Mine but the trains kept just going to the same one. So I hooked up the chests together to a big electric pole and followed the electric poles back to where the trainline split off. Set a circuit for the rail signal to be red unless there's enough copper to fill a train. Now the trains are going there when needed but otherwise going to the further and more profitable mine instead.

Reverse engineering I realised what the problem was. When this was my only mine I'd set a load of rail signals along the route so trains wouldn't get stuck if there was one ahead of it. But this permitted all my rails to take this path and forced none further away. I suppose deleting some of these extra signals could have had the same impact.

I guess a smarter design might be to switch off a signal just before the train station rather than at the junction and have no other signals between the junction and the stop signal. Then one train would be permitted in and ready and waiting for when it's needed. That's for picking up but I guess it could work for dropoff too. I suppose that's what you mean about using circuit networks for switching off saturated stations.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 01-18-2020 at 01:28 PM.

You could just attach your boxes to your train station too, and have it set to disable when you don't want trains going there. That's what's going on with the red station names in my map. It really is easier if you just named them Copper Mine 1 and Copper Mine 2, and set the routes either to alternate between them, or have 1 dedicated train for each, or whatever.

Ah I was wondering about the red names! I thought you'd colour coded white as outputs and red as inputs but that makes sense!

I think figuring it out so the trains go where they're needed is smarter long term.

Took me 49h to launch first rocket in this game (some mistake probably, I think I may have left the game running overnight) then rather swifter launched 7 more. Ran out of stone now though so I'm out of purple science until I can hook up a new stone farm, was running with just my original one until now. Before I start a new game I'm trying to figure out train mechanics better and continue with this one.

Lasers are powerful. Much better for creeping on enemy bases (besides the need to get power poles to the base) because robots can plant the lasers then they just annihilate the enemy. Personal lasers are powerful too, not sure if they'll cope when enemy is more evolved but before bed last night I went around my map and cleared all the biter bases anywhere close to me at all just by walking in to the base and my personal lasers destroying everything automatically. Had about 4 exoskeletons, 6 personal lasers and 4 shields with 4 mk 2 batteries and it just destroyed everything.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 01-19-2020 at 04:19 PM.

This seems to be the most active thread on the forum right now.
    It's almost tempting...