Thread: The Fed

Thumbs down The Fed

http://www.csmonitor.com/Money/Rober...ecret-bailouts

The Fed has finally came clean. It now admits it bailed out Bear Stearns – taking on tens of billions of dollars of the bank’s bad loans – in order to smooth Bear Stearns’ takeover by JPMorgan Chase. The secret Fed bailout came months before Congress authorized the government to spend up to $700 billion of taxpayer dollars bailing out the banks, even months before Lehman Brothers collapsed. The Fed also took on billions of dollars worth of AIG securities, also before the official government-sanctioned bailout.

The losses from those deals still total tens of billions, and taxpayers are ultimately on the hook. But the public never knew. There was no congressional oversight. It was all done behind closed doors. And the New York Fed – then run by Tim Geithner – was very much in the center of the action.

This raises three issues.

First, only Congress is supposed to risk taxpayer dollars. The Fed is not part of the legislative branch. Its secret deals, announced almost two years after they were done, violate the democratic process, if not the Constitution itself. Thomas Jefferson put a stop to Alexander Hamilton’s idea of a powerful central bank out of fear it would be unaccountable to the public. The Fed has just proven Jefferson’s point.

Second, if the Fed can secretly bail out big banks, the problem of “moral hazard” – bankers taking irresponsible risks because they know they’ll be rescued – is far greater than anyone assumed after Congress and the Bush and Obama administrations bailed out the banks. Big banks will always be too big to fail because they know the Fed will secretly back them up if they get into trouble, even if Congress won’t do it openly.

Third, the announcement throws a monkey wrench into the financial reform bill now on Capitol Hill, which gives the Fed additional authority by, for example, creating a consumer protection bureau inside it. Only yesterday, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) blasted the Dodd bill for expanding the Fed’s authority “even as it remains shrouded in secrecy.”

The Fed has a big problem. It acts in secret. That makes it an odd duck in a democracy. As long as it’s merely setting interest rates, its secrecy and political independence can be justified. But once it departs from that role and begins putting billions of dollars of taxpayer money at risk — choosing winners and losers in the capitalist system — its legitimacy is questionable.

That it chose to reveal the truth about its activities during a week when Congress is out of town, when much of official Washington and the Washington media have gone on vacation, and only after several federal courts have held that the Fed must release documents related to its bailout of Bear Stearns, suggests it would rather remain secret than become transparent.

Much of what Ben Bernanke and Tim Geithner did (when Geithner was at the New York Fed) in 2008 was presumably necessary. But the public has no way of knowing. The public doesn’t even know who else the Fed has bailed out, or what entities it will bail out in the future. All we know is the Fed secretly bailed out Bear Stearns and AIG and thereby subjected taxpayers to risks that remain even today, without informing the public. That’s not a record on which to build public trust.

Yeah really not good. I've never been one of those crazies like Alber about the Fed but this is making me support harsher oversight, a full audit and a requirement that all of its documents become public. Its bad enough when congress votes to bail something out but when its done in secret. No, just NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I've never been one of those crazies like Alber about the Fed but this is making me support harsher oversight, a full audit and a requirement that all of its documents become public.
    Serious question for you.

Why support central banking and government imposed fiat currency at all?

There's really no way to achieve fiscal responsibility on the part of government when the government controls the supply (and value) of money and can ultimately inflate its way out of debt. The whole reason that the government can take on tens of trillions of dollars in debt [future liability] is in the knowledge that by the time the debt comes due, those tens of trillions of dollars will be worth but a fraction of their current value.

It's central banking and fiat currency which allow the government to expand its power and fund all those programs you hate, so why support it at all, even if there is "oversight?"
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Why support central banking and government imposed fiat currency at all?
    I wouldn't state my position as "support." I think the ills of central banking has been seriously hyped but in principle I wouldn't support it. Of course having pedophiles executed is more likely to happen then returning to a Gold Standard.

There's really no way to achieve fiscal responsibility on the part of government when the government controls the supply (and value) of money and can ultimately inflate its way out of debt. The whole reason that the government can take on tens of trillions of dollars in debt [future liability] is in the knowledge that by the time the debt comes due, those tens of trillions of dollars will be worth but a fraction of their current value.
    If this were true no one would lend money to the government. Sovereign debt is typically safe debt to have because the country can draw about the future labor of its citizens to pay for it. Not paying for it can have disastrous consequences. Yes inflation can erode purchasing power but for the most part its been under control for the last 3 decades pretty well. And as with nearly all things the market adjusts and takes into account the built in inflation. And even in periods of high inflation the United States made it a priority to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    http://www.csmonitor.com/Money/Rober...ecret-bailouts

The Fed has finally came clean. It now admits it bailed out Bear Stearns – taking on tens of billions of dollars of the bank’s bad loans – in order to smooth Bear Stearns’ takeover by JPMorgan Chase. The secret Fed bailout came months before Congress authorized the government to spend up to $700 billion of taxpayer dollars bailing out the banks, even months before Lehman Brothers collapsed. The Fed also took on billions of dollars worth of AIG securities, also before the official government-sanctioned bailout.
    This isn't a secret at all. It was known from day 1 that the Fed was providing guarantees on losses at Bear Stern's. That's was provoked the "Moral Hazard" discussion over the next 6-7 months that made the Fed not bail out Lehman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    This isn't a secret at all. It was known from day 1 that the Fed was providing guarantees on losses at Bear Stern's. That's was provoked the "Moral Hazard" discussion over the next 6-7 months that made the Fed not bail out Lehman.
    Not really. It took a sunshine law suit by Bloomberg to get the facts out. Congress had asked and was told No, even names of big bank players were kept secret (fearing it would cause a run on those banks). Maiden Lanes I II and III are a mess, fed holds over one trillion of ABSs that are worth about 40 cents on the dollar.

A full and complete audit is needed.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aZA_RWY3IJ2I