Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will the Euro become the next "dominating" currency in the global market?

Quote Originally Posted by Young Mage View Post
    How is it a meaningless statement? Anyone who's even looked at history knows it's a cycle. Let's look at the rise and fall of empires...oh wait what? is the East is gaining momentum again? or is the Western world just heading towards another Dark Age era?
    Anyone who thinks history is that simple should have a closer look at history. To say that empires rise and fall is a meaningless statement - anything that rise must fall at some point. Saying that the East is rising makes no substantive sense, and predicting a Dark Age for the West even less so.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Ever heard of "hyperbole" and "synopsis"?

How about "relevance"? The point is that history isn't some magical process that repeats itself. It consists of causes and effects that are present in various doses at different time periods and in different places. If something repeats itself, it's because the causes are aligned in a similar manner, not because an x amount of time has placed.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Young Mage View Post
    Ever heard of "hyperbole" and "synopsis"?
    We've all heard of "blue", "donkey", and "photosynthesis" too. All of which have about as much meaning, in context, as the quoted comment.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

The dangers of believing that time is cyclical...

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.