Thread: Roller Coaster Tycoon World

Default Roller Coaster Tycoon World

Okay, I couldn't resist this.

Even though they decided to release it as early access, and even though I know Atari sucks.

And, well, I've been busy, so I haven't had much time to play, but I really want to like it. It's fun, I get to build an amusement park. And I admit it is fun riding the rides; I had fun with that in RCT3.

They've really done some screwy things with the controls, though. I would like to be able to use my mouse for all my getting around. I have no problem with keyboard shortcuts and using my keyboard, but for something like this I really want to do all my navigating one handed and with my mouse.

That's not my biggest problem, though. My biggest irritation is having to build buildings for janitors, who are then very hard to find and very slow about cleaning up. I want to be able to scoop them up and dump them on my messy paths again.

Who else bought it already?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    They've really done some screwy things with the controls, though. I would like to be able to use my mouse for all my getting around. I have no problem with keyboard shortcuts and using my keyboard, but for something like this I really want to do all my navigating one handed and with my mouse.
    In Options, General tab, there is an Edge-Scrolling enable checkbox. Tick that and you can use the mouse as normal to navigate around.

That's not my biggest problem, though. My biggest irritation is having to build buildings for janitors, who are then very hard to find and very slow about cleaning up. I want to be able to scoop them up and dump them on my messy paths again.
    Yep the janitors are crap. In my tiny park of 850 peeps I have 3 janitor huts so far, and even that many are struggling to keep the place clean. The animations look terrible too. And there is no staff management of any sort.

As you probably guessed, I did. Pre-ordered, even though the user-reviews from the two Betas were unwaveringly bad.

Have played just a few hours so far.

Pros and cons:

+ The coaster-builder is good. The interface works well, if a little fiddly at times. You can create great coasters relatively easily.
    + The game is moddable

- The peep animations are dreadful in every way
    - The path building in itself is ok, but connecting anything to a path is a nightmare, whether that be other paths, shops and stalls, or placing scenery items like lampposts and bins
    - The ride selection is poor, but with moddableNess there will be more added
    - Janitors are next to useless - it takes far more than it should to keep the place clean. They stand around for periods doing nothing. When they do decide to sweep it takes them an age.
    - There is no staff management of any description whatsoever
    - Nausea setting on rides and coasters is ridiculously high - meaning mass puking sessions on exit paths

But this is Early Access. Regular updates are promised, with one due very soon.
    The game is playable, if disappointing. I'll likely play a little more then park it until it's been updated quite a bit.

A screenshot from the adventure area of my current little park.

Aha. Thanks. How is that not the default?

I would really like something for staff management. Mechanics seem a bit slow to get to places also - and this matters because rides seem to break down a lot. Hopefully one of the early updates will do some balancing.

Planet Coaster from Frontier, looks better. I just spent most of the day watching videos on both titles.

Yes, it does seem to be a zillion times better. They're creating a proper AAA title.

Have downloaded the alpha, so played with what limited stuff they have available in that, and it's already impressive.

Q4 2016 release so a long way to go yet.

I'll have to do Planet Coaster, too.

Boy, I never anticipated getting addicted to playing games again.
    It's effecting my work flow!

Funny result...to rotate the world in my CAD software, you right click-hold. In the game it's center click-hold.
    Now I am center-clicking in CAD, which is another function, and it screws me up. LOL
    Ahhh, well...

I can kick myself. I tried not to. I knew I shouldn't have. But, I bought RCT World. *Ugh!*

Dear god! The Peeps!!!! WTF? They are creepy! I do like the kid with an apparent Mohawk? who skips through the park.
    I do like that RCTW has the option of the old coaster editor building method (by the piece). Their spline editing is lacking, and requires more key/mouse combining
    to get things done, which is annoying. I am sure in time I would get used to it. But I won't give it the time.

Over all, RCTW seems klunky? I can't find the right words for my dislike. It's not awful, but it just seems like it lacks passion behind it.
    What's with the groaning grunting peeps on coasters? The Peeps are scary.
    I also don't like the coaster stations. They are HUGE! I think I also don't like that all the stalls and stuff are "complete" buildings on their own, and rather large.
    I guess this is perfectly fine for people who don't want to do much customizing and theming of their own. I know people have complained for years that they wanted
    realistic coaster stations with the railings and what not. They look good, but they are HUGE!

After playing both RCTW and Planet Coaster, I believe PC is the winner, hands down. It has it's own faults, but I believe RCTW is closer to finished than PC.
    It was disappointing to see the same terrain editing as RCT3 in RCTW, if not worse. I dunno. It's been a while. PC is going to have voxel terrain editing, which will allow truly free form
    terrain editing. Of course, it's not available in the Alpha build yet. But the parks show examples of what it can do, and it's impressive!

It's really no surprise to me how much I like Planet Coaster. It feels so much more like the successor to RCT3 than RCTW (which seems like the 3D successor to RCT2).
    It should too, being created by the same people who obviously still have a passion for "the game". Frontier took what they learned the first time, and are running with it!
    Even the Peeps are better. Sure, they are next generation from the RCT3 Peeps. But they have character! They are far cuter and emotionally available. They seem to have more soul than the RCTW Walkers.

Planet Coasters graphics, up close, have a slight edge over RCTW. RCTW really falls off quickly though. PC's graphics hold up at a distance.

Path building is much better in PC.

I am more used to coaster building in PC, than RCTW, because I haven't put too much effort into learning RCTW's method. Mainly because I am not fond of it.
    PC also has a "Smoothing" tool, that easiliy works out kinks, especially after going back into a complete track and tweaking. At first, tweaking was really frustrating, till I found that tool.
    The stations are small, which allow a player to customize and theme the station to their liking. Given that the coaster builder is a hidden feature, it needs some work. Word has it that the next iteration of it will be impressive. Right now "trick" track elements (rolls, loops, etc) are a set size, but again, word has it that they will be scalable when the coaster builder is officially released. Even with the two tracks available, each have 4 or five styles of trains available. It seems in RCTW that a coaster type is predominately determined by the only available train style, even if the tracks are similar. This is weird to me.
    PC's train choice makes more sense.

Scenery building looks much more impressive in PC to me. They even have elements that "stick" to the surface of other elements, and you can slide them around for precise placement, off the grid.

It's funny. I didn't think I'd ever be as excited about a coaster game again, since RCT3, and so many years that have passed. I saw Lolli's post here, and was like "WHAT? REALLY?"

So, here I sit, with a pile of jobs to do, and I have to make a choice. Make money, or have some fun!

I'm trying to enjoy RCTW, but it is so hard. Coaster building is rather tedious!

Then the game breaks. LOL

Here's a flash mob!

https://youtu.be/uvgXFdkXYC4

It's freakin' buggy innit!

Well...There is this game breaking bug. But overall, it's gotten better. The peeps are still bizarre. Their sounds are bad. In delivery, content and quality. LOL

The coaster builder is annoying as all get out. Having to hit number keys to switch wheel function, across 4 axis? When you grab a node, and are trying to adjust, I HATE how it follows you around. I also dislike how the camera is tied to the terrain.

But this bug, that makes all the peeps leave the park, and then come running back in? It's crazy! They will only ride two rides now. So, essentially the park I was enjoying working on, and was getting a very high park rating, is now toast. Permanently? I dunno. I am going to try to close the park, and reopen it after all the peeps are gone, and see if that resets the peep AI.

The game has potential, but this developer seems like crap. I don't think they know what they are doing. The game should be in a much better state for how far along they are.
    Compared to PC, there is little content, but it all works, and it is all beautiful.

I think you mentioned that PC is nice because of the peep groups, and it really is. This next update will create "couples" who will hold hands and have other "couple" animations. Which is cool. Also dancing, in reacting to park music, and they freaking nailed it. Oh, and there has been to instances where we see gay couples, at least two times that two guys are holding hands.

Well, I tried closing the park, and reopening it and apparently all my work was for naught. Now the peeps won't enter the park.

Pssh. That's ridiculous.

I gave up when one of the updates changed the coaster physics, which left all 3 of the coasters I'd built too slow to complete their circuits. I just didn't have the energy to adjust and redesign them. I haven't booted it up since.

Oh, I figured out the "bug" in the above video. My entrance price was too high! How they get into the park without paying is beyond me. I might have figured it out if the turned around at the turnstyles.

Great news! Coaster physics are improving....

I've been playing the scenarios, and enjoying them. So there's that.
    i think time mechanics need adjustment. You pretty much have to keep the game paused when doing things. Like deleting thousand of bushes, that have only a few pixels to select. Tedious work. Also tweaking the broken (game challenge) coasters, when you test them, a game month goes by, and you can't test while paused.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    i think time mechanics need adjustment. You pretty much have to keep the game paused when doing things. Like deleting thousand of bushes, that have only a few pixels to select. Tedious work. Also tweaking the broken (game challenge) coasters, when you test them, a game month goes by, and you can't test while paused.
    Yeah that update they did really messed up a lot of my coasters too.
    Last edited by Alcor; 10-26-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    i think time mechanics need adjustment. You pretty much have to keep the game paused when doing things. Like deleting thousand of bushes, that have posted testimonials for phenq customers only a few pixels to select. Tedious work. Also tweaking the broken (game challenge) coasters, when you test them, a game month goes by, and you can't test while paused.
    I too hate deleting those thousand of bushes while keeping the game paused.
    Last edited by ThomasJohnson; 09-29-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagaged View Post
    Okay, I couldn't resist this.

Even though they decided to release it as early access, and even though I know Atari sucks.

And, well, I've been busy, so I haven't had much time to play, but I really want to like it. It's fun, I get to build an amusement park. And I admit it is fun riding the rides; I had fun with that in RCT3.

They've really done some screwy things with the controls, though. I would like be able to use my mouse for all my getting around. I have no problem with keyboard shortcuts and using my keyboard, but for something like this I really want to do all my navigating one handed and with my mouse.

That's not my biggest problem, though. My biggest irritation is having to build buildings for janitors, who are then very hard to find viasil found here https://ncaids.org/viasil-review-and-results/ and very slow about cleaning up. I want to be able to scoop them up and dump them on my messy paths again.

This next-generation ?
    Last edited by ScottKessler; 01-16-2021 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJohnson View Post
    I too hate deleting those thousand of bushes while keeping this article about testogen the game paused.

messed up a lot of my coasters too.
    Last edited by EdwardLang; 01-08-2021 at 09:34 AM.

How do you do, fellow humans?