Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: UK Election: 6 May 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    EDIT: Feel this would derail the Election thread so I'm going to start up a new thread ...
    Yeah, but isn't the election over... and thus, the thread either dead or "derailed" in order to continue on?
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Dunno. P'raps.

I feel poor, poor little picked-upon Mr Mckinnon and his battles with the mighty evils of teh Yoonited Stayts of Murka deserves a thread of its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Despite Lokis orgasmically confident assertion that people support this because of anti-americanism, i have to disagree. Its either a misplaced sense of group ("one of us"), an equally misplaced rooting for the underdog or part of that british tradition of supporting criminals if they are quirky enough (robin hood, ronnie biggs, whatever)
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    Despite Lokis orgasmically confident assertion that people support this because of anti-americanism, i have to disagree. Its either a misplaced sense of group ("one of us"), an equally misplaced rooting for the underdog or part of that british tradition of supporting criminals if they are quirky enough (robin hood, ronnie biggs, whatever)
    I don't see that kind of support for criminals that hurt Britain. This is especially true of the banker case.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Actually there was again a load of controversy over the Natwest 3.

A crime committed in the UK, against a UK company, prosecuted in the USA using a one-way unfair extradition treaty . . . yes there was a lot of controversy over that at the time and most of the arguments now over the Mckinnon case are recycled from that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I don't see that kind of support for criminals that hurt Britain. This is especially true of the banker case.
    Do the two i mentioned not count?
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Robin Hood can't be treated as more than apocryphal at best to be fair.

No, because other people have been extradited without this kind of whining. You can't explain something that varies with something that is constant.

Yeah but the public is fickle and relies on the media to lift its heroes aloft. See "the search for Maddie".

Because someone isnt picked up by the mob as a folk hero isnt a particularly good argument that they never do, and so it must be for another reason (according to you, anti-americanism).

No, because other people have been extradited without this kind of whining. You can't explain something that varies with something that is constant.
    Who?

Please name ANYONE who has been extradited using this treaty without any whining ...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-25773591/

Looks like your government is ready and willing to extradite the guy...

Your source is from February? That goverment doesn't exist any more.

It's also about someone else, accused of defrauding a London firm

Erm, read your claim and read my response.

Erm, read your claim and read my response.
    Read it and don't understand your response.

Regardless, it still doesnt matter as who the media raises aloft is hardly the arbiter of rightness. Who was that guy all the Sun readers bummed who shot that young lad in the back a few times? Tony Martin?

Hey maybe that was anti-americanism.