Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teachers Facing Weakest Market in Years

Default Teachers Facing Weakest Market in Years

Teachers Facing Weakest Market in Years

By WINNIE HU
    Published: May 19, 2010

PELHAM, N.Y. — In the month since Pelham Memorial High School in Westchester County advertised seven teaching jobs, it has been flooded with 3,010 applications from candidates as far away as California. The Port Washington District on Long Island is sorting through 3,620 applications for eight positions — the largest pool the superintendent has seen in his 41-year career.

Even hard-to-fill specialties are no longer so hard to fill. Jericho, N.Y., has 963 people to choose from for five spots in special education, more than twice as many as in past years. In Connecticut, chemistry and physics jobs in Hartford that normally attract no more than 5 candidates have 110 and 51, respectively.

The recession seems to have penetrated a profession long seen as recession-proof. Superintendents, education professors and people seeking work say teachers are facing the worst job market since the Great Depression. Amid state and local budget cuts, cash-poor urban districts like New York City and Los Angeles, which once hired thousands of young people every spring, have taken down the help-wanted signs.

Even upscale suburban districts are preparing for huge levels of layoffs. School officials and union leaders estimate that more than 150,000 teachers nationwide could lose their jobs next year, far more than any other time, including the last major financial crisis of the 1970s.

Juliana Pankow, who just graduated from Teachers College at Columbia University, has sent out 40 résumés since January. A few Saturdays ago, she went to a school in Harlem because she heard the principal would be there (she was invited back to teach a demonstration lesson, but it may be for naught since the city has a hiring freeze). Now, Ms. Pankow said she might have to move back in with her parents in Scarsdale, N.Y., and perhaps take up SAT tutoring.

“I can’t think of anything else I’d rather do,” said Ms. Pankow, 23, as she waited outside the principal’s office at Pelham Memorial last week, among 619 people applying for one English position. “Which is a problem, because I might have to do something else.”

At Teachers College, so many students like Ms. Pankow are looking for work that two recent job fairs attracted a record 650 students and alumni, up from 450 last year. Last month, the college added a job fair focusing on schools in Harlem.

But job postings are down by half this year, to one dozen to two dozen a week, mostly in charter schools, said Marianne Tramelli, the college’s director of career services.

Charter schools, which are publicly financed but independently run, are practically the only ones hiring in New York and elsewhere because of growing enrollments amid expanding political and economic support for school choice. Even so, they do not have nearly enough jobs to go around.

In New York, where the Success Charter Network is hiring 135 teachers for its seven schools in Harlem and the Bronx, some of the 8,453 applicants have called the office three times a day to check on their status. Veteran teachers have also offered to work as assistant teachers.

“It’s heartbreaking — there’s much more desperation out there,” said Eva S. Moskowitz, a former councilwoman who is the network’s founder and chief executive.

KIPP, another charter school network with 82 schools nationwide, has received 745 applications since January at its seven schools in the San Francisco Bay Area, compared with 385 last year.

At the University of Pennsylvania, most of the 90 aspiring teachers who graduated last weekend are jobless. Many had counted on offers from the Philadelphia public schools but had their interviews canceled this month after the district announced a hiring freeze.

“We’re trying to encourage everyone to hold on,” said Kathy Schultz, an education professor at Penn. “But that’s very difficult because students have taken out loans and want to be assured of a job.”

Michigan State University has pushed its 500 teaching graduates to look out of state. As local jobs have dried up, it started an internship program in Chicago, a four-hour drive from campus. Professors now go with students to the annual campus job fair to make sure they do not hover around the Michigan tables, but walk over to, say, North Carolina, Texas or Virginia.

“We have a culture of people wanting to stay here and teach where they went to school, but we also want them to get jobs,” said Suzanne Wilson, the chairwoman of the department of teacher education.

Along with five other former teachers, Jade Stier, 27, finally gave up and enrolled in a nursing program last fall, after three years of looking for an elementary school job. She sent out hundreds of résumés, only to land one interview a year. She settled for working as a substitute teacher, earning $85 a day with no benefits.
    New York Test Scores

“Spending $50,000 for an education you can’t use is really frustrating,” Ms. Stier said. “I definitely miss teaching, but I felt like I had no other choice.”

If there is an upside to the shortage of teaching jobs, it is that schools now have their pick of candidates.

Teach for America, which places graduates from some of the nation’s top colleges in poor schools, has seen applications increase by nearly a third this year to 46,000 — for 4,500 slots. From Ivy League colleges alone, there are 1,688 would-be teachers.

Here in Pelham, a well-regarded district where teaching salaries range from $50,000 to $134,000, high school administrators and teachers have spent recent weeks winnowing applicants’ résumés. Candidates with grade point averages below 3.0 were eliminated (3.3 in some departments), as were those who missed the April 30 application deadline. Almost 200 were invited for interviews.

“It’s very difficult,” said Jeannine Clark, the high school principal in Pelham. “More so than in years past because there are so many very qualified candidates.”

While Ms. Clark and the English supervisor were meeting with prospective teachers last week, candidates for the social studies job were down the hallway typing a 40-minute timed essay on the French Revolution. Upstairs, interviews for physics and biology teachers were being conducted.

“People will come in here begging for anything,” said Dennis R. Lauro Jr., the superintendent, who started closing his office door this year because out-of-work teachers would drop in unannounced to hand him résumés. “We’ve never seen these kinds of numbers before.”

Top candidates will be asked to return several more times to meet with Dr. Lauro, parents and students and to teach a demonstration class.

Ms. Pankow is hoping she will be among them.

“It would be unbelievable,” she said. “I would love it here, but I’m not necessarily putting all my eggs in this basket.”

It's not just teaching degrees, but the whole class of 2010. Some 1.5 million new college grads are applying for jobs, while many '09 grads are still looking, and waiting tables.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/ny...omepage&src=me

I have little sympathy when it comes to the teaching field specifically —*they've been overhiring for years, finally the pendulum is trying to swing back to something reasonable.

But of course youth unemployment/underemployment in huge. Though frankly, a lot of my un/under-employed friends who definitely can stay at home aren't trying to do anything productive like take an internship or something while living at home. Some are, and they are going to be rewarded when things get better. Then they can earn an income and get taxed to pay for state employee pensions like the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I have little sympathy when it comes to the teaching field specifically —*they've been overhiring for years, finally the pendulum is trying to swing back to something reasonable.

But of course youth unemployment/underemployment in huge. Though frankly, a lot of my un/under-employed friends who definitely can stay at home aren't trying to do anything productive like take an internship or something while living at home. Some are, and they are going to be rewarded when things get better. Then they can earn an income and get taxed to pay for state employee pensions like the rest of us.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

But of course youth unemployment/underemployment in huge. Though frankly, a lot of my un/under-employed friends who definitely can stay at home aren't trying to do anything productive like take an internship or something while living at home....
    What the heck are they doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/SinWithSebastian/Pandemonium/wailing-wall.jpg[/IMG]
    Yes, one has decided to "take classes" in Jerusalem for a few months. Not sure where she's going with that.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    What the heck are they doing?
    Bumming around, taking/planning long international trips, perpetually applying for pointless grad school degrees, prolonging time spent in grad school, building personal Web sites (mainly the aspiring freelance writers do this)...

Yes, one has decided to "take classes" in Jerusalem for a few months. Not sure where she's going with that.

Bumming around, taking/planning long international trips, perpetually applying for pointless grad school degrees, prolonging time spent in grad school, building personal Web sites (mainly the aspiring freelance writers do this)...
    In other words, living off their parents.

Yuppers. And complaining when I don't want to go on some trip because I can't afford it, or go out for drinks at 11PM on a Tuesday because I have work the next day.

So.... Breaking news! The job market is bad! For everybody!

I do have sympathy for college grads who can't find work in their field. Four years and thousands of dollars just to wind up living at home again. Less sympathy for your friends, Dread--who don't work at all, even as free interns where the "pay" is experience and networking connections.

Employment was rough in the 80s too, but teachers usually found a job. Probably related to mini-baby booms and cramped classrooms, and the housing bubble later also had new areas building new schools. This time it IS different.

<In hindsight I'm glad that my son decided to 'suspend' college for now, work full-time to keep his job, and save some money. He pays me rent and mows the lawn once in a while, but he's also difficult to live with at this stage of his life. None of his college buddies who came home for summer break have found temporary work yet....>

Of course! By why single teachers out? Bad time for anybody to be leaving college these days. But luck is always a huge factor in life. You could, for example, get CFIDS or PKD. Or you could get cancer (the majority of which is innate, provided you don't live near a superfund site, smoke, or sunbath like a lunatic, and even there susceptibility is still genetic). Most of us inherit some sort of cross to bear. From my perspective, being born such that you graduate in a bad market is a pretty mild one, all things considered.

PS The article was apparently written by Winnie the Hu.

I almost put it in the NY goes POP thread. Dunno, it's part politics and economy, part higher and k-12 education, part taxes and unions. It's also related to the housing bubble popping (less tax revenue to fund public education) and unemployment.

Could take this any number of directions. Politically, I wonder if this younger generation of grads will become deficit/debt hawks in their adult lives. I wonder about the older generation with school-aged kids who may have to cram into classrooms with 40+, but they also won't want to pay more in property taxes. I also wonder how we can compete globally if we cut corners in early education, in order to pay the retired teachers' pensions.

It's kinda like the farmer eating his own seed corn.

Yuppers. And complaining when I don't want to go on some trip because I can't afford it, or go out for drinks at 11PM on a Tuesday because I have work the next day.
    Man that sounds like my D&D group...

I have one guy who just got his degree (he's 26) and aspiring to be a teacher. Right now he is doing substitute teaching work but not every day. His job hunting efforts are pretty paltry.

Another friend is 27 and still doesn't have his degree, his aspiration in life? To work for a university or city library so he can surf all day and do nothing and collect government benefits.

Both are still living with their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    my D&D group...
    Dumb & Dumbasses?
    Drink & Drugs ?
    Death & Disease?
    Drunkenness & Debauchery?
    Dolescum & Destitution?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

library so he can surf all day and do nothing and collect government benefits.
    Fuck yeah!
    Although its not all this relaxing, I do have to play some Wii here and there. Then there are the outreach programs like this weekend where I have to drive all the way out to a Rays baseball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Dumb & Dumbasses?
    Drink & Drugs ?
    Death & Disease?
    Drunkenness & Debauchery?
    Dolescum & Destitution?
    Dungeons and Dragons. It is a pen and paper RPG game.

ATM machine

PIN number
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I don't know which scenario is worse. The chance that Timbuk didn't know D&D, or Lewk taking it as a serious question.

But can you imagine how those sessions with Lewk playing must go? I'm picturing something straight from DM of the Rings, but with more murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    But can you imagine how those sessions with Lewk playing must go?
    Having to roll 21 or higher on a D20 in order to survive theft attempts.

Also on a more personal note, my brother is trying to apply as a music teacher. This has proven problematic though as there are apparently only a handful (literally, at or less than 5) teaching jobs available for music teachers on the whole of Long Island. The only reason we even know of these job openings is because my girlfriend's mother works as a lunch lady at a school and spoke with a music teacher. The bigger problem is that she's heard from the person that my brother has to send his resume to that he regularly gets around 600 teachers applying for any music position, and that due to budget cuts lately, any music teacher who retires or is laid off at the end of the year is often not replaced. The last teacher he hired had 10 years of teaching experience. My brother only graduated a year ago, and only recently received documents allowing him to teach. He's been advised that its probably best to continue trying to pick up more hours bartending while applying for a masters, and then hope the job market is better when he graduates.
    . . .

I'm going to go check Facebook, the social networking site.

It just occurred to me, maybe he meant rocket propelled grenade game. That would actually make a whole lot more sense in his case.

I find the fact that no one is mocking Lewk for playing that shit to be more disturbing than anything else.

I mean, it was for losers when it came out.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I cast magic missle

You have a cheap vibrator and you're throwing it?

Ew no we're not larping or something

Like, gawd

I had to google to find out what the hell larping was

Throwing vibes sounds more fun than that.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I find the fact that no one is mocking Lewk for playing that shit to be more disturbing than anything else.

I mean, it was for losers when it came out.
    Honey, I'd say go screw...but you would take it as an invitation.

I think you find several players here (of the D&D kind).

I know Fuzzball does or did, but I don't recall anyone else admitting to it.

Must be shame.

I did for a few years in high school once we got the chess club up and running. I don't think anyone ever brought a chess board to school, it was always D&D and M:tG

I had friends who liked M:tG when I was in high school. They bought me cards. I couldn't see the appeal of that, either.

They were nice people, but way fucking geeky.