Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planet Coaster

Default Planet Coaster

I figured I should make a separate thread for it.

I am loving it!
    It's freaking beautiful!

Currently I am enjoying the lighting effects...

The attention to small details...Like this girls hair going up on a freefall ride...

Have hardly played the alpha as there is soooo little content.

But yes what is there is very impressive. The peeps certainly are. I like the way they are in proper groups too, family groups, couples, groups of friends. Not like RCTW where everybody is individual - not realistic.

It will be an excellent game.

It does look amazing.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I love the building aspect of these games, so I'm having a great time. Especially being forced to make something of so "little".

The peeps are fun to follow around. Their animations are wonderful, and each new thing I discover, I smile.
    I am actually amazed at the depth of the animations, from their expressions, their mannerisms, and things like when they get on their tip-toes to see why the line is taking so long, or cross their arms, and lean to the side to see whats going on ahead of the them, even the things you do when you are bored in line, like rocking your foot back and forth on it heel. I mean really? They took it that far? While walking through the park, and chatting with each other, they talk with their hands. It's hilarious! On "gentle" flat rides, they lean forward and look out the "window" and smile. They are effected by G-forces on the coasters! They are just so damn expressive!

Frontier is off to a really impressive start. Getting the proper coaster builder, and some more types will be great, but I think the game changer will be the terrain editor.

I've never cared about scenarios, but I know that is important to a lot of people. I hope they knock that out of the park too.

It really does look fun, it's just so pricey to get the early access.

xMas is just around the corner!

The "early alpha" is an interesting new concept to me.
    Does it remove all that sweet anticipation of a game release?
    I remember taking the day off work for the release of RCT3.

Early release of an unfinished game seems to be quite the double edged sword.

Yeah, there was something fun about release days.

Dev live stream today...

RCTW is sinking fast. RCTW's livestream was lame, and the "big news" was "paths" are getting incrementally better, and improvements to Peep and Staff AI. Oh, and Peeps will now sit on benches, to alleviate their nausea. Woot!

PC's update next week will include 14 coaster types, scalable trick elements (loops, etc), now you can select multiple track nodes and manipulate the whole section...
    Frontier is doing an amazing job, and really paying attention to detail and function.

Last edited by Bitter Jeweler; 05-18-2016 at 09:54 PM.

I think I should buy myself a gift.

RCTW quickly lost my interest. I had some fun with Parkitect, but it's more of a RCT2 throwback (also incomplete)

Just remember there are no scenarios, or economics yet. It's just sandbox play, if that's important to you.
    There are no janitors or mechanics yet either.

But if you like building coasters, there will be 14 styles coming Tuesday!!!

I think gay peeps are coming in this update as well.

I have been trying to play the RCTW scenarios, and I am stuck on the 3rd one. Gilded Glade.
    Peep AI sucks, so they don't buy food, which kills getting two of the goals.
    I enjoyed RCTW for scenario play, right now, but for sandbox, it really limits creativity.

I've also been playing Prison Architect, which is surprisingly good for a top down prison tycoon game, with a decent storyline.

Let me know when you get PC...I can't wait to see what you think of it.

Why do peeps in a rollercoaster game need to be gay or straight? Sexuality seems like a non-issue for a game like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

They don't "need" to be. But they are.

They don't "need" to represent couples, or families either.

I suppose that makes sense. Hadn't thought of families.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Further, how is having straight couples (and family groups) not bringing sexuality into a game, but gay couples is?
    You are absolutely right though. All of it should be a non-issue. But even your question says it isn't.

I simply hadn't thought of couples and family groups at all. Last Coaster game I played lots of was 1994's Theme Park. There I just recall the peeps being individuals who arrived and went on rides and bought refreshments and puked etc - not families. Sexuality was not in play as from my memory they were individuals riding rides, not travelling families.

If you don't have families or couples in the game then you don't have sexuality. Of course if you have families then that is different.

This is one of the aspects of PC that I'm really looking forward to: peep dynamics.

People visit theme parks in groups; family groups, couples, groups of friends, kids groups, teenage groups etc. PC represents those groups; makes it much more realistic. Think just about every other theme park game I've played to date has individuals wondering around, which never quite seemed right.

Have been having fun just watching peeps wandering around. But unable to take screenshots for some reason. Found a couple online that give an idea of peep groups.

In fact, browsing around I've found some incredible designs people have already created in their parks.

Astonishing hotel someone's built.

Oriental style ...

Greco ...

Gay family with adopted child...

Terrence, Steven, and Yvonne Rosewell:

Middle aged lesbian couple...

Rand, I see where you are coming from now.
    But didn't they have Peep couples in RCT2, and they definitely had couples and families in RCT3.

Timbuk...I also get lost Peep watching. I love how they dance, and how they have different dances. Frontier paid a lot of attention to Peep dynamics. They notice things. THey point at things. They talk amongst themselves. They laugh. They look like they are having a great time! RCTW has a really looooong way to go in that department. RCTW zombies walk around with broken arms! Literal broken arms, requiring a Medic.

"Groups" really make a difference to the feel of the games directly comparing PC and RCTW.

The ability of users to take the small assortment of building pieces and create different architectural styles is amazing!!!

How complete is this? Planet Coaster looks like it might be interesting enough to justify getting, but as someone who's never been super into the coaster games, is it worth getting now, or should I wait?

Tough call. If you are interested in park management over freeform creation with no real goal, definitely wait. It sounds like management and economics will be the last thing added before release.
    If you enjoy the latter have fun!

I hope Frontier does a nice job with the management side, creating difficult to achieve scenarios with some depth.

How complete? It's only on phase 2, and the proper coaster builder has just been released, and will be tweaked after feedback.
    There are only 8-10 rides available right now, and 4 generic food/merch stalls. No mechanics, nor janitors.

I'm probably more of the management and economics type. I have a very hard time not making my Skylines cities into grids. I'll wait. Thanks for the info, Bitter!

This theme park construction tool (game) is getting me into trouble.
    It's drawn me in like heroin. I can't get my real work done. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking of things to create in PC.
    ADD is no help in the matter. It also taps into those feelings/enjoyment I had as a kid with my HO scale electric train set.
    I just get lost in it.

Couple that with last month coming very close to setting a sales record, the amount of work I was doing. The stress of deadlines...
    I've kinda threw my hands in the air and said "fuck it, have some fun". Now I'm trapped!

So, yeah, here's my latest creation. The video compression is too contrasty, which makes it darker than it really is...

Here is the main entrance to Pirate Village.
    A long time ago, a storm had washed up a sunken ship, nearly knocking over the statues of the village heroes.
    I love the tension created by the towering marble figures looming out over the crowds.

The entrance to Hook's Run...

Peeps are swarming to the parks latest coaster adventure...

The space conserving construction snakes back and forth through lush tropical forest, and the caves near the shore. We can see Flying Fish, and the dormant Volcano in the distance...

Shit dude you've been having some fun! Some wondrous setups you have there. Crowds certainly do seem to come too.

I'm completely avoiding playing. I don't want the appeal to fade by playing too much before it's released. I prefer to play with all things available like full park management, all shops, staff etc.

I have! I love it!

As far as crowds, they finally released the peep limit. You get 200 peeps per ride placed (not even opened) so I plunked a bunch down in a far corner to increase the crowd.
    I had 5600 peeps in my park at one point, but I couldn't save the game then. It would crash when I saved, before saving. Frame rates dropped pretty well too. I was down to 15-20 fps, which I can tolerate. My laptop is a couple years old too. Some people have had 13K peeps, but they didn't have fleshed out parks, they were just trying to pack them in. I believe Frontier is trying to allow a max of 20K peeps. The feel of these crowds is rewarding. much more so than the previous games.

Oh, I'll hit a wall sooner or later. Checking out all the new coasters and scenery is great. But there needs to be more building parts variety. To a degree, the lack of parts inspires creative thinking.
    I used a wooden balcony to create the tunnel in the last three pics. Frontier responded to a request to split up some building add-ons, like that balcony, that had a railing attached. Making the railing a separate part opened up lots of possibilities for both pieces. Frontier is really listening to the fans, which is awesome and exciting. The "flying fish" in the loop of the fourth picture was created from ship wreckage scenery, and scaffolding for the fins.

You're going to be overwhelmed with parts, because you're waiting to play. LOL But I totally get your attitude on that.

So I seem to have dived in with the release of all they've included in Alpha 3, and the move to Steam.

I'm now completely hooked.

Some incredible pics appearing on the PC Forum ...

Love the bracken water and the misty ground in that last one.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 08-26-2016 at 09:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

So been spending too many hours pushing my limited creativity, but having SO much fun building.

Only have a tiny amount so far, keep going back and adding detail everywhere so not expanding very much.

A few samples ...

Entrance area to hypercoaster. Took so long to align all the edging on the angled buildings.

Little hat shop. Not too complicated to build but very satisfying all the same.

The textures on the walls are incredibly real.

Other bits from the Pirate areas.

Last edited by Timbuk2; 08-27-2016 at 11:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

All the "big" things are amazing, but there's something about the little guys, like your Hat Shoppe. It's nicely done.

Add me on Steam, if you are going to share Blueprints. I'm me there too.

Nice pic of the "courtyard" (pic above the hat shoppe).

They are doing a great job with the game. THey are introducing limits though, and that irks me. It bites them in the ass though. If you build a coaster to its upper limit, and then go below ground level, you can't share it as a blueprint, because it won't place. I would have thought that coasters would have "auto tunnel" available for placing blueprints.

Water is pretty well done.

Overall, they've completely blown RCTW out of the water. There's an update coming next week for RCTW, andding piece by piece building. We'll see how they can F that up. Hehehehehe.

I hadn't done much more than tinker, because the new PC update doesn't recognize my laptop keyboard.
    I can place with an eternal, but it's cumbersome.

This really looks amazing, I think it will be my plan for what to play around with next weekend. RCTW has been disappointing.