Thread: Virginia Gov. Reinstates Felon Voting Right

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I agree. Once your sentence is served, you ought to be allowed to return to society as a full citizen.
    Loki never answered but I'll ask you. Thoughts on felons being allowed guns? Thoughts on sex offenders not being allowed near certain places? For clarity I'm not hypocritical about this I have no problems with felons being barred from owning guns or rapists and molesters being forced to live away from schools. I'm curious if you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Loki never answered but I'll ask you. Thoughts on felons being allowed guns? Thoughts on sex offenders not being allowed near certain places? For clarity I'm not hypocritical about this I have no problems with felons being barred from owning guns or rapists and molesters being forced to live away from schools. I'm curious if you are.
    The punishment must be related to the crime. Please explain to me the link between voting and committing a felony. What about being a felon makes one a dangerous voter? And please no nonsense about felons voting in a way that benefits them. So does everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    There isn't even a proper argument for denying actively incarcerated people from voting.

Just as an example: A political candidate proposes the legalization of a drug. And yet the people who are in jail for, say, merely the possession of said drug are not allowed to vote for the candidate.
    I wouldn't oppose letting those in jail vote. But I also accept that people serving time are being punished for "rebellion" against the body politic, which might reasonably include being temporarily deprived of voting rights.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The punishment must be related to the crime. Please explain to me the link between voting and committing a felony. What about being a felon makes one a dangerous voter? And please no nonsense about felons voting in a way that benefits them. So does everyone else.
    Either the State can deprive felons of certain rights as a consequence or they can't. This is a purely binary position YES/NO. Now if the answer is "Yes the state can take away the rights of felons" and you make the argument that 'well this right should be taken away and this right shouldn't' FINE, that's an argument you can have. But you simply cannot say the State isn't allowed to take away felon's rights period, and then suggest that some rights shouldn't be included. That's hypocrisy. The right to own guns is no weaker than the right to vote.

Either the State can deprive felons of certain rights as a consequence or they can't. This is a purely binary position YES/NO. Now if the answer is "Yes the state can take away the rights of felons" and you make the argument that 'well this right should be taken away and this right shouldn't' FINE, that's an argument you can have. But you simply cannot say the State isn't allowed to take away felon's rights period, and then suggest that some rights shouldn't be included. That's hypocrisy. The right to own guns is no weaker than the right to vote.
    Do you think people who are convicted for prostitution should be deprived of the right to own a gun? Do you think someone who robs a store should be banned from living near schools?

Do you think people who are convicted for prostitution should be deprived of the right to own a gun? Do you think someone who robs a store should be banned from living near schools?
    In theory I don't have a philosophical problem in general with either. However specifically people who rob should be locked up for life and prostitution should be legal so the point is rather moot.

In theory I don't have a philosophical problem in general with either. However specifically people who rob should be locked up for life and prostitution should be legal so the point is rather moot.
    You're dodging the question. Should post-prison restrictions relate to the potential danger still posed by the former prisoner? Or do you cease being a citizen and a human being the second you get convicted until you die?

You're dodging the question. Should post-prison restrictions relate to the potential danger still posed by the former prisoner? Or do you cease being a citizen and a human being the second you get convicted until you die?
    Post prison restrictions don't have to be related to the potential danger. They could also serve to deter crime for example.