Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the UK Labour Party have an antisemitism problem?

Anti-semitism is acceptable as long as it's in defense of Brexit, apparently. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8535846.html
    Hope is the denial of reality

I've already condemned that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I don't think you're a spokesman for the Tories.

No I'm a spokesman for myself.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Met a Jewish friend in London sleeping with a Labour volunteer and avid Corbynite; and she's convinced he's sleeping with her because he fetishizes her.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I don't think you're a spokesman for the Tories.
    See Gove's recent cowardly attempt to dodge the issue.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    No I'm a spokesman for myself.
    You just happen to support a pragmatically anti-Semitic party rather than an ideologically anti-Semitic one.

No. The Tory MEPs argued [badly IMO] that it wasn't their job to interfere in the domestic politics overseas and that the EU was overreaching by acting on this. I disagree. They didn't argue for or against antisemitism.

Labour has a real issue of regularly actually being antisemetic and sharing platforms with antisemites not simply failing to sanction an antisemitic nation.

No one buys that, Rand.

Agreed. Hence why I said "I disagree."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...jewish-donors/

While attention is on America, and since Labour's conference has been completed, time to readmit the suspended antisemites.

Labour being Labour.

Labour Party branch 'voted down motion condemning Pittsburgh synagogue attack'

Members reject motion after saying there is too much focus on 'antisemitism this, antisemitism that'
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8615211.html

This thread's kind of died off but antisemitism in Labour hasn't. In fact its become so rampant that 8 MPs have quit the party in recent weeks citing antisemitic abuse including the then extremely pregnant Jewish Labour MP Luciana Berger [who announced she's given birth today] who was driven off by the most vile antisemitic abuse. So much has been happening that Tom Watson [whom I referenced in my last post] has taken a stand and effectively is calling out his leader and Labour's Party Secretary Jennie Formby for being complicit in tolerating antisemitism. A lot of vile abuse is now coming out of the woodwork.

Labour's own internal disciplinary system came up with a recommendation that the following was antisemitic, only to copy in the Leader's office for thoughts who overruled the decision and said it wasn't antisemitic allowed the member to not be suspended. So Labour's disciplinary system then cleared this woman of this. She has since been complaining about "a witchhunt" and "trial by media" for many other antisemitic incidents including complaining about "Jew process" [due process] being followed.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 03-06-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Wow, the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) has now decided things have gotten so bad it has launched a formal inquiry into whether Labour's antisemitism is so bad as to be criminal: https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...bour-broke-law

"The EHRC said it “can only commence an investigation where we suspect that an organisation has committed an unlawful act”, using powers introduced when the last Labour government passed the Equality Act in 2006."

The only other time the EHRC has needed to get involved in a political party was when they took the BNP to court for its whites-only policy. Labour is now in the same league as the BNP.

But Aimless: look squirrel, a backbench Tory said something odd.

That image is disturbing, clearly antisemitic and shouldn't be defended....by any political party, in any country.

It's encouraging to see the way this is being played out, with Labour & left-leaning MPs, pundits, activists and ordinary voters calling openly calling the party out on its failure to deal with antisemitism and specifically criticising the foolish tactical thinking underlying the leadership's reluctance to tackle the issue. Political parties and movements have to be able to have these kinds of conversations and approach matters of principle in a principled manner. What's happening now is going to be good for Labour in the long term. Considering the lukewarm response to eg. Baroness Warsi's & others' allegations of Islamophobia in the Conservative Party--not to mention their warm embrace of xenophobic policies--Tories could stand to learn from this moment.

Wow, the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) has now decided things have gotten so bad it has launched a formal inquiry into whether Labour's antisemitism is so bad as to be criminal: https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...bour-broke-law

"The EHRC said it “can only commence an investigation where we suspect that an organisation has committed an unlawful act”, using powers introduced when the last Labour government passed the Equality Act in 2006."

The only other time the EHRC has needed to get involved in a political party was when they took the BNP to court for its whites-only policy. Labour is now in the same league as the BNP.
    Any EHRC inquiry would be undertaken through section 20 of the Equality Act. A spokesperson said only one such inquiry had been carried out before: an investigation into unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation of employees by the Metropolitan police.

It concluded that minority ethnic, gay and female police officers who raise complaints of discrimination expect to be victimised and fear reprisals. The EHRC called on the Met to overhaul its procedures to comply with the law.
    Looks like Labour may be in the same league as... the Metropolitan Police.

When will Corbyn decide that J..uhh Zionists are simultaneously responsible for and holding-back Brexit?

Cream isn't the only thing that floats to the top:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9194701.html

"General election: Labour candidate Gideon Bull drops out over alleged antisemitic remark

Clacton candidate denies antisemitism, insisting he did not know Shylock was Jewish"

Councillor who allegedly called a Jewish Councillor "Shylock" in a meeting originally claimed he didn't use the word, then claimed he didn't direct it at the Jewish Councillor and now his line is 'I didn't know Shylock was Jewish' ...

That 'Hey Jews' story is disgusting Aimless.

You don't get to make comments on this until you stop defending Johnson's islamophbia.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

If you identify Islamophobia then I will criticise it.

Johnson is being criticised for language nothing like Shylock being used in a far more liberal argument than many other famously liberal European countries.

You know perfectly well what I'm referring to as we've had this discussion on the past. You refuse to accept an examples of Islamophobia as Islamophobia and tie yourselves in knots trying to come up with definitions of racism that exclude whatever crass remarks Prime Minister Johnson has made in the past but include whatever some no-name Labour guy is currently up to.

Coming up with pitiable excuses for why racism isn't racism is, in fact, defending racism FYI.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

*Bump*

As the Labour Party under its new leader tries to move on from the cesspit of antisemitism it was mired in under Corbyn . . . as it prepares to apologise for libelling antisemitism whistle blowers . . .

. . . Corbyn and his allies are seeking legal action to try to prevent the Labour Party apologising.

Stay classy Corbyn!

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/corbyn...ology-1.501779

Hey, Randblade, how anti-semitic would you say this sentence is:

Maybe there was some kind of fiddling of the figures by the oligarchs who ran the TV stations (and who were mainly, as some lost no time in pointing out, of Jewish origin), but it seemed that Russia, one of the most populous countries in the world, was voting heavily for America.
    Asking for a friend.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I'm confused, I don't recall anyone in Russia ever voting for America. Are you referring to a real quote, or a work of fiction?

Its not good, who is doing the pointing out?

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Hey, Randblade, how anti-semitic would you say this sentence is:

Asking for a friend.
    How did you know he'd reply without googling the quote? HOW DID YOU KNOW???

I'm confused, I don't recall anyone in Russia ever voting for America. Are you referring to a real quote, or a work of fiction?
    It's from a work of fiction, but it's not the words of a character it's in the voice of the narrator.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's from a work of fiction, but it's not the words of a character it's in the voice of the narrator.
    So its fiction, that's different to people actually saying it. (Spoiler alert Aimless I knew that when I responded)

I wouldn't use language like that or be comfortable with people using language like that in real life. Fictional characters (including fictional narrators) can use inappropriate language to make a point, it doesn't mean the author is endorsing that.

So its fiction, that's different to people actually saying it. (Spoiler alert Aimless I knew that when I responded)

I wouldn't use language like that or be comfortable with people using language like that in real life. Fictional characters (including fictional narrators) can use inappropriate language to make a point, it doesn't mean the author is endorsing that.
    So, do you think the work of fiction is set in alternative world where the media is 'mainly' controlled by Jewish oligarchs, or do you think the author was using the lesser known 'third-person limited' narrative voice where the opinions of the view point character are conveyed by the narrator using third person pronouns... in a book in which the main character is an obvious self-insert? Or were they simply using anti-Semitic tropes in their books as some kind of intellectual exercise? And, ultimately does what the author intended matter, or could we agree that it's highly irresponsible to use racist tropes like that irregardless of personal opinions?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come