Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orlando shootings

Default Orlando shootings

50 dead and scores injured in a gay nightclub in Orlando Florida just days after a fatal shooting of a singer. I believe possibly the worst mass shooting in American history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

"Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Was this specifically directed at the shooting? Just looking at his twitter feed he often posts scripture verses.

Even if it wasn't intentional (who knows?), it shows either a profound ignorance or a profound indifference to what's happening in this country.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    50 dead and scores injured in a gay nightclub in Orlando Florida just days after a fatal shooting of a singer. I believe possibly the worst mass shooting in American history.
    Not good news to wake up to. Yet another terrorist attack on American soil.

There are no words

Shooter identified by authorities as Omar Mateen, a young man of Afghan descent.

There are no words.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Shooter identified by authorities as Omar Mateen, a young man of Afghan descent. .
    Yep, a US citizen. Who had been in trouble with the law before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Yep, a US citizen. Who had been in trouble with the law before.
    That's a spot-on description of most Western ISIS-sympathizing lone wolves. But we'll see.

Not a big surprise, there's this club in Istanbul where I know fairly well what the escape routes are. And that's not because I'm worried about the risk of a fire.
    Congratulations America

Meanwhile, Trump is being Trump: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...34549232766976

I'm making it a point to never vote for any politician who endorses him.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Even if it wasn't intentional (who knows?), it shows either a profound ignorance or a profound indifference to what's happening in this country.
    http://www.danpatrick.org/facebook-s...le-verse-post/

"This morning as every Sunday morning for the past several years we post a verse from scripture. Those posts are chosen in advance and scheduled in advance. As noted to the media earlier the post from Galatians,that received many hateful comments, was put on the schedule Thursday. Our scripture was not posted in-the-action to the shooting.

I’m actually on an island. The Internet is slow. I first heard of the news late this morning from a reporter. However, this time, lag has given me an opportunity to reflect on this tragedy, your comments, our war on terrorism, our divided nation and God’s word for all of us.

The verse has nothing to do with God’s judgement on any one person or a specific group of people. If some chose to read into it what they wanted they either have never read Galatians Chapter 6 or have misread it."

Maybe that's true or maybe the heat got too strong. Or the media intern was too eager. Would you expect him to tell the truth?

Should be easy enough to tell if he's consistent. Does he always schedule a Tweet at about that time? If he does he's probably telling the truth and its an unfortunate coincidence (especially since it was Tweeted without comment). If it was at a time when he's normally not active then that's unlikely.

EDIT: The Tweet was sent at exactly 7:00am which is the exact same time every week that scripture is posted. Clearly scheduled in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Should be easy enough to tell if he's consistent. Does he always schedule a Tweet at about that time? If he does he's probably telling the truth and its an unfortunate coincidence (especially since it was Tweeted without comment). If it was at a time when he's normally not active then that's unlikely.

EDIT: The Tweet was sent at exactly 7:00am which is the exact same time every week that scripture is posted. Clearly scheduled in advance.
    Not at all surprising. I'd expect a reading, part of the sermon, or some other piece of the day's service to be based on the selected verse, it's fairly common practice, but it means prepping it ahead of time by the pastor
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

s/ If only we could just ban religion. /s

Christain nutbags shoot up abortion clinics, Muslim nutbags shoot up a club, or all of Paris, Buddhist nutbags even have an extreme wing.....

When will people realize that worshipping ANYTHING is bad, much less an imaginary being, some person dreamed up years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOgre View Post
    s/ If only we could just ban religion. /s

Christain nutbags shoot up abortion clinics, Muslim nutbags shoot up a club, or all of Paris, Buddhist nutbags even have an extreme wing.....

When will people realize that worshipping ANYTHING is bad, much less an imaginary being, some person dreamed up years ago.
    Sometime after your failure of a position develops elements of truth?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

What am i missing. It wouldn't even surprise me if he were gay given the nice liberal attitude of his father.
    Congratulations America

The guy sounds like he had emotional problems for a long time, maybe he was a sociopath? He could even 'reverse engineer' the killings to make it appear related to radical jihadi Islam.....when it was really about hating himself, and lashing out at others. Exploiting the martyr angle for ISIS was probably easier than admitting he was sexually attracted to men, or had uncontrolled violent urges, and was generally filled with hate.

The scary thing is how close he came to becoming a policeman (he attended a police academy, and got weapons training before being expelled), and that he worked as a security cop for the County Courthouse after two FBI terrorism-related investigations, and could buy those guns without any restrictions! That's just stupid policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    What am i missing. It wouldn't even surprise me if he were gay given the nice liberal attitude of his father.
    That's what the headline was suggesting. And some other evidence is pointing in that direction as well.

That's what the headline was suggesting. And some other evidence is pointing in that direction as well.
    He may have been crazy enough to think his act 'cleansed him of being gay'. But then again he may just have been a regular extremist homophobe.
    Congratulations America

Kind of weird for a homophobe to go to a gay club for three years.

Weird but not unheard of. If you are imprinted strongly enough with notions of homosexuality as both a choice and a mortal sin you can get pretty fucked up results.
    Congratulations America

REPORT: Orlando shooter was a regular at the gay nightclub he attacked, used multiple gay dating apps

And a former classmate of Mateen's told The Palm Beach Post he believed Mateen was gay, and that Mateen once asked him out romantically.
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/r...222620444.html

Hey, our clubs are just more fabulous.

Not too weird, just sad
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Hey, our clubs are just more fabulous.

I resisted posting right away cause this one is extremely close to home for me. I knew a couple of the victims and still haven't made contact with a handful of others that may have been involved. I wasn't exactly friends with any of them, but Ybor has a flaming gay community and the restaurants and bars are top notch. My sister has actually been to The Pulse and facebook activated her "I'm Safe" setting during/after the attack. Went to Universal studios yesterday and while in line for a ride found JK Rowling's tweet about one of the employees for the ride I was about to get on being one of the victims.

The violence was senseless, the terrorist obviously mentally unstable, but god fucking dammit no average joe should have access to the firepower this guy did to cause the type of damage he did.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Go tell that to the native Americans.