Thread: Will Scottland stay in ?

Default Will Scottland stay in ?

I understand that especially in Scottland a lot of people are very upset about the trick that has been played on them; in the previous referendum they were told the only way to stay in the EU was voting against breaking up the UK. And not 2 years later the English drag them towards the exit against their wills.

And now I hear that most parties in the Scottish parliament are in favour of a new referendum on independence and that the First Minister and her government have decided to start lobbying the EU and it's memberstates in order to stay in the EU.

I think the EU should consider this request seriously.
    Congratulations America

If there's a referendum, I can't see Scotland remaining in the UK, especially if the EU allows it to join right away (as some Europeans have already suggested)
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    If there's a referendum, I can't see Scotland remaining in the UK, especially if the EU allows it to join right away (as some Europeans have already suggested)
    I agree, though I must say it feels a little bit strange to hold membership talks with a part of a sovereign state.
    Congratulations America

They should do it, it'll give me somewhere to move if the worst-case scenario for Brexit happens.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Take Scotland and we will throw in Northern Ireland too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Take Scotland and we will throw in Northern Ireland too.
    But not a Little Englander at all are we?
    Congratulations America

I've heard the argument that this would run against the interests of eg. Spain due to increasing the risk of Catalonia trying to strike out on its own.

I don't think the Scots should be too hasty. Better to see what the UK's divorce settlement looks like first.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I've heard the argument that this would run against the interests of eg. Spain due to increasing the risk of Catalonia trying to strike out on its own.

I don't think the Scots should be too hasty. Better to see what the UK's divorce settlement looks like first.
    That certainly was the case when the first referendum ran its course. But the situation has dramatically changed.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I understand that especially in Scottland a lot of people are very upset about the trick that has been played on them; in the previous referendum they were told the only way to stay in the EU was voting against breaking up the UK. And not 2 years later the English drag them towards the exit against their wills.

And now I hear that most parties in the Scottish parliament are in favour of a new referendum on independence and that the First Minister and her government have decided to start lobbying the EU and it's memberstates in order to stay in the EU.

I think the EU should consider this request seriously.
    I like how suddenly you're sympathetic towards the Scots, when back before their referendum you couldn't stop snickering about their hopes and expectations about what it might be like for them entering the EU independently. Including their idea that they'd be eligible for immediate entry.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

A Scottish secession enabled by the promise of an easy accession to the EU would, at the time, have run counter to the best interests of one of its more influential members. That is no longer as clear. Scotland's merits may not be enough anyway
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

At that time, Scotland would have been voting to leave an EU member. Now they'd be voting to leave someone exiting the EU. Not exactly the same situation.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I like how suddenly you're sympathetic towards the Scots, when back before their referendum you couldn't stop snickering about their hopes and expectations about what it might be like for them entering the EU independently. Including their idea that they'd be eligible for immediate entry.
    What I really said was;

1. they will easily get in
    2. they won't get a special deal
    3. their politicians lie if they tell their voters they will get a special deal
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    But not a Little Englander at all are we?
    Nope we should keep the Welsh. Not because they voted to Leave too but they supply some good cricketers to us.

Let's party like it's 1536.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post

That was then this is now. Spain can easily say this situation is manifestly different to their own.

Though it makes even less sense for Scotland to leave the UK now than it did 2 years ago. The numbers didn't add up then, with the oil price so low it surely won't add up now. Plus they haven't resolved the currency issue.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

So Spain have shot Nicola's fox clean dead. They refuse to negotiate with Scotland.

Scotland will have to leave the EU, vote to Leave the UK, then apply under Article 49 to join the EU afresh with all that entails for currency etc

Yes I saw the headline. Good. Sturgeon can crawl back under Salmond's rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Yes I saw the headline. Good. Sturgeon can crawl back under Salmond's rock.
    It's not as clear cut as that, though it probably is a set-back for her. Spain doesn't want the EU to have official dealings with a part of a member. That doesn't apply to an independent Scottland. Hard to tell if the Scotts are willing to make that leap of faith though.

I still have little doubt that Scottland would easily be admitted to the EU, but I guess staying behind is not going to happen.
    Congratulations America