Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP UKIP

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    A low key, indeed.

The lines are in party colors anyway.
    Believe it or not, I don't have the party colors in the UK memorized. Without a key I was thinking that if that was for UK parties (which did seem likely given the thread) then the gold was SNP, which meant the purple was Lib-Dem, and at that point I was just thoroughly bewildered. Then I started wondering what was the significance of the dots being different sizes and I just gave up because at that point, I wasn't even sure if it was approval ratings, some bizarre seat metric or some other odd thing anymore.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Close, yellow is SNP and orange/gold is Lib Dem. Of course 5% of Great Britain* generally is about 50% of Scotland. What the graph shows is that the party that has shuffled off this mortal coil is down on its 2015 performance despite only getting one MP in 2015, now zero.

* The key is wrong, these are polls of Great Britain not the UK. UK opinion polls don't exist since Northern Ireland with its own local factors and thus its own polls and is not surveyed in British opinion polls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Believe it or not, I don't have the party colors in the UK memorized. Without a key I was thinking that if that was for UK parties (which did seem likely given the thread) then the gold was SNP, which meant the purple was Lib-Dem, and at that point I was just thoroughly bewildered. Then I started wondering what was the significance of the dots being different sizes and I just gave up because at that point, I wasn't even sure if it was approval ratings, some bizarre seat metric or some other odd thing anymore.
    A) It was aimed at Rand, who does know the colors.
    B) You thought the SNP has the support of 120% of Scots (they certainly aren't getting anyone else's vote)?
    Hope is the denial of reality

A) It was aimed at Rand, who does know the colors.
    B) You thought the SNP has the support of 120% of Scots (they certainly aren't getting anyone else's vote)?
    You didn't have a KEY, Loki. I could not even know what the base population being evaluated was. And while the SNP is certainly strong in Scotland, I feel skeptical of your assertion that the 2.5% overall difference in that graph translates to a jump in whatever their actual numbers are to 120% of the total Scots population.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

You didn't have a KEY, Loki. I could not even know what the base population being evaluated was. And while the SNP is certainly strong in Scotland, I feel skeptical of your assertion that the 2.5% overall difference in that graph translates to a jump in whatever their actual numbers are to 120% of the total Scots population.
    Wait, what? The yellow line is at 5%. The orange is at 10%. Scotland makes up about 8-9% of Britain's population.

Wait, what? The yellow line is at 5%. The orange is at 10%. Scotland makes up about 8-9% of Britain's population.
    Yellow line wavers between 7.5 and 10, and again, no key meant I didn't know the base population being addressed. So itss swing is 2.5 percent (and that's also the difference between it and what turns out to actually be SNP for most of the time shown). And a quick check of SNP numbers in Scotland shows that I'm right and if that 2.5 swing brought them to 120% of the population than SNP would have had to have 60% share (which it did not and does not) before.

Indeed the population being surveyed is NOT the United Kingdom despite the key being mislabelled to say it is.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Yellow line wavers between 7.5 and 10, and again, no key meant I didn't know the base population being addressed. So itss swing is 2.5 percent (and that's also the difference between it and what turns out to actually be SNP for most of the time shown). And a quick check of SNP numbers in Scotland shows that I'm right and if that 2.5 swing brought them to 120% of the population than SNP would have had to have 60% share (which it did not and does not) before.
    I don't know if there's a problem with your screen resolution, but the yellow line is consistently 4-6%. The orange line crosses 10%, which means it can't be the SNP. I'm not sure what exactly you're arguing here.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Indeed the population being surveyed is NOT the United Kingdom despite the key being mislabelled to say it is.
    No offense to the North Irish, but this is a pointless detail here. They make up 3% of the population.

I don't know if there's a problem with your screen resolution, but the yellow line is consistently 4-6%. The orange line crosses 10%, which means it can't be the SNP. I'm not sure what exactly you're arguing here.
    But I didn't know who the yellow and orange lines WERE, Loki, nor do I know what exclusionary principle means that a physically possible result for SNP can be disregarded for someone who only has broad strokes knowledge.

No offense to the North Irish, but this is a pointless detail here. They make up 3% of the population.[/QUOTE]

Bump.

The corpse that is the party formerly known as UKIP is undergoing more convulsions.

Potentially I believe about to look for what might be their 7th or 8th leader in an 18 month period, the current and otherwise unheard-of leader Henry Bolton has been getting bad headlines lately after leaving his wife for a young racist model who sent some very racist texts about Meghan Markle and how her marriage to Prince Harry could "taint" the royal family as her "seed" could "lead to a black king". Lovely lady, to misquote the late Mrs Merton I wonder what first attracted the racist model to the leader of UKIP. After this came out he publicly said he was dumping her, only to be photographed with her the next day and then claim that he wasn't going to abandon her ...

... but that the reason UKIP should keep him is that it can't actually afford yet another leadership contest.

The UKIP NEC have unanimously (apart from Bolton) voted No Confidence in him but he says he's not going anywhere and is still repeating that UKIP should keep him as it can't afford to run another leadership contest.

The deceased fart of a joke that is UKIP are now on their 8th (yes EIGHTH) leader since the EU referendum.

Latest person to lead them is the amusingly named Richard Braine.

They must be relieved you decided to implement their agenda and voted for their spiritual successors.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The spiritual successor who's not much of a fan of biracial royals.

I voted for Brexit and to make Farage etc redundant. I would do so again I don't want him representing my country.

I'm no fan of the royals but I do like Markle. Never watched her show kind of want to now is it any good?

Just like you can't vote for Trump for 'just' the tax cuts and owning libs, and forgo the racism and corruption you can't vote for Brexit part and not be voting for Farage. In both cases, it's package deal.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I voted for Farage to lose his job. I can live with that.

Farage's 'job' is acting as a beacon for the bigoted and the xenophobic. If he loses a vote here, he forms a new party there.

As long as there are idiots who want a Little England which keeps the brownies out, Farage will be in the foreground in whatever capacity spouting the same shit.

He succeeded with his first Little England cause, and that was obtaining Brexit. His Brexit party will cease after the UK leaves, and he'll form a new party or find a similar platform to preach another Little England cause.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 08-13-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Farage has lost every FPTP election he has ever competed in. Every single one of them.

Get rid of PR, get rid of the European Parliament, and Farage will be as relevant to our lives as Nick Griffin.

I will be quite pleased to see his Brexit Party [which never mentioned migration in the European elections] cease to exist. If he founds something new I hope and expect FPTP will ensure he gets absolutely nowhere with it. Goodbye and good riddance.

Trying to make Farage redundant by doing his job for him isn't the genius move you appear to believe it is
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Farage has lost every FPTP election he has ever competed in. Every single one of them.
    And yet that has made zero difference to what really matters to Nige, which is making headlines and being the voice of Little England. Creating consecutive political parties is just one way that Nige continues to reach his Little Englanders. I rather think he doesn't want votes, because then he might actually have to do some work.

Get rid of PR, get rid of the European Parliament, and Farage will be as relevant to our lives as Nick Griffin.

I will be quite pleased to see his Brexit Party [which never mentioned migration in the European elections] cease to exist. If he founds something new I hope and expect FPTP will ensure he gets absolutely nowhere with it. Goodbye and good riddance.
    Griffin is a thug who can't help but venture into the illegal, which keeps him out of the way.

Nige is a slightly smarter cookie.

And the UK will never be rid of him so long as there is a core of Little Englanders to pander to, and there is no chance of that core disappearing in our lifetimes.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

The deceased party known as UKIP still pretends to exist and still continues to self-parody itself.

Oh come on is the right response.

Nige is beyond parody now as well; the areas where he can find the populism that he so craves shrinks chunk by chunk.

First it was UKIP, which lost its way with Brexit.
    Then the Brexit party, which failed when Boris was elected.
    Then he pinned his colours to the Trump campaign, which has now failed.
    His latest is some kind of anti-lockdown movement, which is hilarious.