Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP UKIP

Default RIP UKIP

So it seems UKIP are not only about to lose every elected MEP they have, not only is their leader going to lose his only post he's been able to get elected to ... but as I predicted they're now losing their final remaining Member of Parliament.

Good riddance. No flowers necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio..._election#2016

And yet they're doing about as well in the polls as they were before the referendum. Feel free to ignore this through sheer courage.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Indeed at a comparable rate to that which they were polling post Lib Dem rigor mortis last Parliament. Which wasn't enough to win any seats of their own, barely keeping one of the defectors with a longstanding personal vote who is now almost certainly leaving the party. It wasn't good enough then, it's not good enough now.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

*shrug* as long as their popular support remains, the urge to pander to those voters will also remain. Not exactly much of a victory yet.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

As long as the UK is still a member of the EU I don't seen UKIP go away.
    Congratulations America

And if the terms of the UK's new relationship with the EU isn't sufficiently draconian about migration, they aren't going anywhere either.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    And if the terms of the UK's new relationship with the EU isn't sufficiently draconian about migration, they aren't going anywhere either.
    But with no elected representatives they'll be reduced to pub bores and loudmouthes as they deserve to be.

Because the one MP made all the difference. And not the 15% of the vote that the Tories will be clamoring for.

Yes. Having MPs and MEPs is how you get the oxygen of publicity. As for appealing to voters that happens either way whether a party exists or not.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Yes. Having MPs and MEPs is how you get the oxygen of publicity. As for appealing to voters that happens either way whether a party exists or not.
    You seriously want us to believe that's true for UKIP under present circumstances?
    Congratulations America

Indeed. Farage frequently abuses the European Parliament to get in the news, I'm surprised if you've not seen it.

The one exception to UKIP dying is if a major party (eg Labour currently) kills itself. However even with Corbyn killing Labour, UKIP are not best placed to capitalise as long as they're led by Farage.

Given the games the CP leadership is playing with Brexit, I see a bright future for UKIP.
    Congratulations America

... and Nige has just announced he is indeed standing down.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

LOL at Carswell's reaction:

BREAKING: leading candidate for UKIP leader is one Figel Narage, who wears a big coat and hat, a false moustache and a pair of sunglasses.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

And now UKIP is free to go the direction of the National Front after Jean-Marie Le Pen's departure.

so basically all 'winners' of the referendum are now resigning?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Whining about the EU is what kept them all going. Now they have no purpose in life. Expect some to turn up in arts and crafts classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    And now UKIP is free to go the direction of the National Front after Jean-Marie Le Pen's departure.
    For those of us who aren't in the know, what direction was that?

Getting rid of the style of far-right without getting rid of the far-right policies. Replacing a far-right ideologue with a far-right telegenic pragmatist. The path to political respectability (at least from the voters, if not from the political class).

Ah yes that sounds about right. I believe something similar is happening in Sweden and, I expect, in several other EU member nations. It only stands to reason. Just because you leave the EU doesn't mean that the fight has been won. There are still immigrants overloading our healthcare system, leeching off of our welfare system and of course raping all our women, just all of them.

It will actually be interesting to see where the UKIP will be a few years from now. On the one hand, experiences from other European countries would suggest that they should continue to have a noticeable influence on British politics, esp. at the local level. On the other hand, the British electoral system may be able to deliver on RB's promise of killing off fringe parties. I don't believe that to be the case even though it may keep such parties from gaining a significant number of seats in Parliament.

FPTP is certainly limiting UKIP's potential, as they're unlikely to get the ~30% necessary to start getting many seats. But precisely because their support is coming from the entire country, it will be very tempting for the two major parties to try to siphon off their voters by adopting some of their rhetoric and/or policies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/05/wo...ip-brexit.html

Looks like I was right about UKIP's future ambitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Getting rid of the style of far-right without getting rid of the far-right policies. Replacing a far-right ideologue with a far-right telegenic pragmatist. The path to political respectability (at least from the voters, if not from the political class).
    I would suggest that has already happened, but with the shift from the BNP and Nick Griffin across to UKIP and Nigel Farage. Farage made UKIP into a sort-of-politically-acceptable "BNP in blazers".

As I predicted month ago, UKIP now have zero representation in Parliament.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39393213

From the UKIP perspective, it seems their message was co-opted by a majority of voters.
    Soo...?

Umm, Loki? Shouldn't that, you know, have a key?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

A low key, indeed.

The lines are in party colors anyway.