Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Go

Just to summarize Rand's argument: I'm a middle-class white male who's never had any problems with the police. I don't have friends who are from different backgrounds. I don't read about people from different backgrounds. But I'm going to assume that their life is exactly the same as mine.
    Hope is the denial of reality

And this is how old rich white jews react. This is from my wife's work, where she just put in her 2 weeks.

Click to view the full version
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 07-22-2016 at 05:26 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I've been stopped by the police playing ingress. It was midnight and I was hanging around outside a school staring at my phone across the street from an old people's home, so in retrospect that was probably a little unwise.

Presumably, if I'd have been a black man living in America doing something similar they'd have declared a state of emergency and called in the national guard.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    And yet when 100 people are breaking some minor infraction, it's the brown/black people who get arrested. But continue living in your post-factual paradise.

https://www.facebook.com/CrystalMich...63909997024226

http://www.androidcentral.com/its-pr...ng-pokemon-3am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/n...lack/86989554/
    The article linked to states that everyone else complied with an order to leave and the only man out of 150 that didn't comply that was arrested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

And this is how old rich white jews react. This is from my wife's work, where she just put in her 2 weeks.
    And I thought my grandparents were out of touch with modern technology.

Exposing the location via satellite tracking.. They aren't in the phone book or have the location on their website?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

She should drop some lures on her way out.

Her work is a stop cause it's in a church. She said someone lit it up within minutes of the email going out.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

How close to a stop do you have to be to interact with it?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

40 meters and the school has a 2 lane road on its north and east side, and apartments on 2 sides as well. Anyone can "expose" the school.

Isn't it only a stop if it's already considered a landmark or venue? Or do people create new stops?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Places of worship are within the criteria for making new portals. Due to a massive backlog, creating new portals has been disabled since September 2nd, 2015.

I have submissions outstanding from May 2014. I think it's safe to say submissions won't be turned back on for a very long time.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

That far back? Welp, no portal at the church a km from me for a while then...

The last I heard yay or nay on a portal submission was April 2015. To be honest, I don't think submissions are ever going to get turned back on. They really do have more than enough in the grand scheme of things.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    The last I heard yay or nay on a portal submission was April 2015. To be honest, I don't think submissions are ever going to get turned back on. They really do have more than enough in the grand scheme of things.
    Eventually they will have to do something. A very large chunk of the stops I use in Pokemon Go are for shit that doesn't exist anymore.

Well, good luck with that
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    What?

How is that gambling? Gambling is risking money for odds, with the possibility of winning money back depending upon the result of an event. How is Pokemon Go gambling?
    Actually, gambling can mean taking any risk for fun, even when there's no money prize or jackpot at the end (see rollercoasters, bungee jumping, parachuting, etc.)

Seems Pokemon Go has risks for users that walk into traffic and get hit by a car, or are lured into backyards and get shot as trespassers. Blaming the user for not reading the TOS doesn't mean much when it's kids playing the game, does it?

Yes Lolli, the game requires a smart phone. And from what I understand it also gives Google full access to email and internet accounts (for full GPS functionality). Adding the "lure" function supposedly makes the game more interactive, but also adds to the "risks". That's what makes it more like gambling, Rand.

Firstly none of those are gambling as defined for gambling taxes which was your question.

If kids step onto the road without looking or trespass etc then TOS are the last things we should be talking about.

Firstly none of those are gambling as defined for gambling taxes which was your question.
    Perhaps they should be?

If kids step onto the road without looking or trespass etc then TOS are the last things we should be talking about.
    Then what should we be talking about? Should consumer protections only apply to adults? What should we do about kids playing "risky" games on their cell phones, without adult supervision, on platforms their parents probably pay for but don't fully understand?

Don't the game developers have a role beyond making something shiney?

Parents need to teach their kids to be responsible and supervise them. Whether its a game, texts, Facebook or Snapchat or whatever walking while distracted on a road is idiotic and parents are responsible not a game manufacturer (that puts a massive "stay alert of your surroundings") message on its splash screen. Consumer protection has nothing to do with this, being alert on the road has sod all to do with game developers.

I suspect insane Saudi clerics (who long ago issued a fatwa on the original Pokémon because they perceived the way kids played it as being akin to gambling) don't have views that are consistent with Western perspectives on what is or is not gambling.

This game is currently annoying as hell. We've been walking over 10km a day, but that's not more than we would have done anyway. It has encouraged us to explore different places, which is good. However, the battery usage is absurd, connectivity and app stability still hit-and-miss and there is very little scope for feeling like I'm progressing wrt playing-skill. The trajectory of the balls often feel completely fucking random. Strong Pokémon keep escaping from me and then poofing away. The endgame feels uninspiring.

They could turn this game into a much more engaging and polished experience and I hope they do. Not sure if I'll buy a new (used) phone just to get a better Pokémon experience.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Parents need to teach their kids to be responsible and supervise them. Whether its a game, texts, Facebook or Snapchat or whatever walking while distracted on a road is idiotic and parents are responsible not a game manufacturer (that puts a massive "stay alert of your surroundings") message on its splash screen. Consumer protection has nothing to do with this, being alert on the road has sod all to do with game developers.
    Parents are responsible for game-maker exploits...just like they are for car manufacture safety? It's on the record -- Rand expects he can protect his kids from ALL product harm and risk, because he's a "good parent". He accepts all liability, and would never sue a toy manufacturer for lead poisoning (for example) that harmed his kids anymore than he'd sue an infant seat or auto manufacturer in the event of a car crash that hurt his kids, when their products failed. It's all on him, as a parent.

That's not what I said.

If the game is causing direct harm like poisoning of course it is an issue. If the game is defective causing direct harm like a defective car seat that is an issue.

But walking while playing on your phone onto a road is not a game developers fault or a defect or an issue for Terms of Service. It is not a product defect.

That's like driving 100mph while blind drunk and on the phone and blaming the car for your crash.

Incidentally that's nothing new. I used to read a book on the walk home from school. When I reached a road I'd put the book down, look both ways and cross the road safely. If I'd stepped onto the road because I was engrossed in the latest Wheel of Time novel should I have sued Robert Jordan and Tor books for their defect?

No! Follow the Green Cross Code. It's not difficult!

Um, Pokemon Go very much has a gambling aspect to it. As you can spend real world currency on the incubators to hatch the randomized eggs. Throw in trading and you have your avenue to a real world currency return.

Steam's crates and keys trading operates in a similar fashion and they just got sued under gambling laws.

Sued successfully?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Actually, gambling can mean taking any risk for fun, even when there's no money prize or jackpot at the end
    No it cannot. You can try and use gambling as a metaphor for some aspect of those, but metaphorical use is not the meaning of a term.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Sued successfully?
    It's still on going, I think.

But when you can gamble for in game items which can be sold in the Steam Market place for pretend Steam money, and there are third party sites that can easily be used to turn pretend Steam money in to real money it's clear that that even if they do win the laws will soon be changed to cover this loophole.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come