Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Go

Default Pokémon Go

Now that the servers are (mostly) working, anyone playing?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The kids will no doubt want to. Let me guess, though, they released a game for kids that requires a smartphone.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

With internet, GPS and orientation capabilities.

Everyone I've run into thats playing it is high school or older.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I was particularly amused that one of the PokeStops for Kiwi players is a Hells Angels clubhouse.

One of my managers was busy stalking the store for them today.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

When does marketing become propaganda?

When does playing a game start out as fun, but puts you at risk, but you play anyway? If that's gambling then is Pokemon Go going to have the same gambling taxes?

What?

How is that gambling? Gambling is risking money for odds, with the possibility of winning money back depending upon the result of an event. How is Pokemon Go gambling?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I'm just waiting for the first black kid to get killed by some nutjob for skulking around in the wrong place

The Ginger is still waiting for her activation mail, we're hoping to try it out tomorrow, otherwise we might try out geocaching for the first time
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The three gyms in our local park have been constantly contested by all three teams. Aside from the periods of storms the last couple of days, we've had 50-150 players showing up in the evenings. It's been really cool since you normally only see about a dozen people unless it's our annual festival, the Christmas lights display, or a wedding/party taking place. And with 18 PokeStops also in the area, the amount of lures going off at once has helped a lot of people add to their collections along with making a bunch of new friends. I'm hoping for nicer weather tomorrow so I can catch up to some of my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I'm just waiting for the first black kid to get killed by some nutjob for skulking around in the wrong place
    Well, kids have been shot at:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36818384
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Backward mofos

Still being plagued by server issues but we've caught a few. Not too many people out but most of the people we passed on our way to town seemed to be playing at the moment not as engrossing as Ingress but that will quickly change, I expect, once we level up.

So this launched a few days ago in the UK and as an odd consequence I have seen a boost in my sales as a result. My business is a Pokestop I think it is called and we have had lots of customers today and over the weekend stop in while on their phones. Apparently one customer was using "a lure" to bring Pokemon to us earlier today and so lots of other customers stopped and played on their phones in our garden.

Never played Pokemon. I think I need a crash course in how it works and then add this to my marketing plan perhaps ...

A lot of people are using it to draw customers some Clintons are using it to register voters if only they'd launched a few weeks ago, maybe it would have convinced young Brits to vote and we wouldn't have had a Brexit to look forward to.

We worked out the math for the libraries and stops can get near total business hour lure coverage for under a $100 a month. Or you create a couple of accounts a day and use those lures you get from leveling up. We started dropping lures for events this past weekend and it drew people in, but people are also dropping lures on their own. Out of the 4 at our intersection we are the only one that has indoor AC

I played the game's augmented reality predecessor, Ingress, for a good 3 years. They're using the same landmark database, so presumably there's a bunch of photos of churches etc that I took in the game.

Ingress was tremendous if time-consuming and costly fun, but it's clear Niantic couldn't organize a pissup in a brewery, and they have the whole techbro laissez-faire, hands off, crowd sourcing-solves-everything attitude that you see with companies like reddit or Valve. They got away with it for Ingress, more or less, because it was a much smaller audience with a much older demographic. Some how I don't think that shit's gonna fly with a playerbase 10 or 100 times bigger a significant fraction of whom are going to be children.
    Last edited by Steely Glint; 07-18-2016 at 09:53 PM.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Yeah we played Ingress for a few months to take some of the sting off of having to live in the wilderness, it was fun but for several reasons not as appealing. Connectivity and stability issues much more severe with Pokémon Go atm, I have to restart the app like a million times and sometimes I won't have caught the little fuckers because something got borked

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    When does marketing become propaganda?

When does playing a game start out as fun, but puts you at risk, but you play anyway? If that's gambling then is Pokemon Go going to have the same gambling taxes?
    It is like buying a Tesla with advanced cruise control, thinking this is an autonomous car that does not exist yet, and take a nap with the computer drives. You see videos of stupid people releasing the wheel. One of them sat on the rear seat and turned on the cruise control.

This is putting yourself at risk...
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

This is what happens when thousands of hermits simultaneously re-enter from their lairs.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Should you max CP before evolving or not? Different games mechanics make one or the other the right decision.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Should you max CP before evolving or not? Different games mechanics make one or the other the right decision.
    Don't power up or evolve until you're sitting on 5 figures of stardust, several hundred candies, a few lucky eggs, and are about lvl 20.

There is no point to long term gym control. And gym battles can be won with pokemon much lower on the CP scale cause you can swipe to dodge a lot of attacks.

It is cheaper to power up before evolving, but your evolution might have crap attacks. Catch everything you can, transfer everything but the strongest 2 of each pokemon. Don't evolve unless that CP curve is 90% full or more, cause Murphy's Law states that as soon as you evolve you will find a base pokemon with a fuller CP curve.

When you are ready to evolve, activate a lucky egg and have at it.

About 50 people sitting in one small part of Union Square (Manhattan) pokemoning at night (with half a dozen lures).

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/re...-to-leave-park

Good old home town residents This is why you play at bars, you're good till at least 2am.

Not sure why parks need closing times. Though if they're near residential buildings and causing a nuisance for neighbours I suppose that is fair enough. There's always one idiot that doesn't comply though.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Not sure why parks need closing times. Though if they're near residential buildings and causing a nuisance for neighbours I suppose that is fair enough. There's always one idiot that doesn't comply though.
    45% war on homeless, 45% war on drugs, 10% property values

-----

This is where I usually go. Just down the street from my new place. All those street markings between stops are actually the lanes of a parking lot. Best as I can tell from the pokestop photos this used to be a community art location. Now its a bunch of new restaurants and bars.

Click to view the full version

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/re...-to-leave-park

Good old home town residents This is why you play at bars, you're good till at least 2am.
    The police forgot to add another tip: don't be outside at night while brown/black.

Why would they need to add that? Plenty of brown/black people are out at night with no problem whatsoever.

And yet when 100 people are breaking some minor infraction, it's the brown/black people who get arrested. But continue living in your post-factual paradise.

https://www.facebook.com/CrystalMich...63909997024226

http://www.androidcentral.com/its-pr...ng-pokemon-3am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/n...lack/86989554/

This game does reinforce a lot of behavior that used to be considered suspicious. Thats causing an uptick in racial profiling problems. So sure, no problem whatsoever, if you consider being stopped and harassed by every patrolling officer you cross paths with as not a problem. I've seen more than one article talking about how playing this game as its meant to be played could result in the death of someone of color. We've already had 2 go players shot at for sitting in their car in front of someone's house.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 07-22-2016 at 05:10 PM.