Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terrorist attack in Nice

Both have been reported by now.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

German-Iranian 18 year old confirmed.

So currently it all looks like an Amok Run with no terrorist background. But than again, it will take at least some days for the police to find connections if there are any.

Honestly too early to tell but I do find the hypocrisy interesting.

"White supremacist attack..." Response by those in power and the media - bad guy bad cause really bad.

"Iranian..." Response by those in power and the media - Hey now don't jump to conclusions!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/23/europe...ing/index.html

"The teen gunman who killed nine people in a shooting rampage in Munich on Friday was a mentally troubled individual who had extensively researched spree killings and had no apparent links to ISIS, police said."

"Neigbhors told CNN that the 18-year-old who lived in the apartment searched by police was Ali Sonboly. CNN's Atika Shubert interviewed people who live in that building. In a press conference Saturday, German police said the gunman's parents had been taken in for questioning.
    Police have not named the attacker, but said he had dual German and Iranian nationality and was born and raised in Munich."

Anyone else find it odd that there seems to be a focus on him "not being ISIS" as soon as it was learned that he had Iranian nationality? I mean why the specific focus? Last time I checked Iran was on the enemy list of ISIS.

Anyway regardless of what motivated the attack, I'm glad he's dead and RIP to the victims.

I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the word "hypocrisy".
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Anyone else find it odd that there seems to be a focus on him "not being ISIS" as soon as it was learned that he had Iranian nationality? I mean why the specific focus? Last time I checked Iran was on the enemy list of ISIS.
    Because a lot of ignorant people think "Muslim killer = ISIS" without thinking ISIS is Sunni and Iranians are (generally) Shia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Germany machete attack: Syrian refugee kills one and injures others after hacking at passersby in street
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...efugee-8485456

He's not a refugee; he's an asylum seeker.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Did your account got hacked by Minx?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    http://www.thelocal.dk/20160718/asyl...een-in-denmark

Well the girl got raped but you know he was an asylum seeker so its OK. /boggle. Do you even listen to yourself sometimes?

The problem is that it's hard to get to the motivation of these people. I don't believe it's as simple as IS sending or motivating people to attack civilians in Europe. I think part of it also lies in the fact that part of the people that made it are seriously screwed up. Some bounced right back, and some are broken. That second category is the dangerous one. With or without IS cheering them on.
    Congratulations America

http://www.thelocal.dk/20160718/asyl...een-in-denmark

Well the girl got raped but you know he was an asylum seeker so its OK. /boggle. Do you even listen to yourself sometimes?
    Yeah, if something bad happens, it should be ok to make shit up.

Another one in Germany? This time an explosive. One dead and wounded.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Did your account got hacked by Minx?
    Did you share your password with your butt?

Yeah, if something bad happens, it should be ok to make shit up.
    Don't be obtuse. 'Refugee' 'Asylum Seeker' Do you really think it matters when it comes to seeing a clear and worrying trend of Islamic Terrorism?

You mean the clear and worrying trend of violent Muslim extremism among people who've essentially grown up in Europe or lived there for a very long time, no doubt.

Don't be obtuse. 'Refugee' 'Asylum Seeker' Do you really think it matters when it comes to seeing a clear and worrying trend of Islamic Terrorism?
    Refugees are screened; asylum seekers are not. So yes, there's a massive difference.

Refugees are screened; asylum seekers are not. So yes, there's a massive difference.
    Seems like screening for anyone coming over is a must. But can't do that... that would be bigotry!

Remind me who actually opposes screening asylum seekers? Average Syrian asylum seeker (to the US) is screened for 2 years.

Another mass murder tragedy, 80 killed and hundreds wounded....in Afghanistan this time.

Lewk, doesn't it deserve the same kind of press coverage or public outrage, even when it happens "over there"?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Another mass murder tragedy, 80 killed and hundreds wounded....in Afghanistan this time.

Lewk, doesn't it deserve the same kind of press coverage or public outrage, even when it happens "over there"?
    It does deserve coverage however it isn't as relevant to current events and the implications of them. Just like terrorist attacks in Israel rarely make the news, it is expected. Right now a political topic is the differing ideas on Syrian refugees and in general immigration from the Muslim world in American politics. To then have a week of attacks in Germany... yeah that's news even if the total body count is less than the attack in Afghanistan.

It does deserve coverage however it isn't as relevant to current events and the implications of them. Just like terrorist attacks in Israel rarely make the news, it is expected. Right now a political topic is the differing ideas on Syrian refugees and in general immigration from the Muslim world in American politics. To then have a week of attacks in Germany... yeah that's news even if the total body count is less than the attack in Afghanistan.
    I'd say it's more "relevant" to broader US policies. And no, it wasn't "expected" any more than the attempted coup in Turkey was -- but our policies don't change every time an EDP (emotionally disturbed person) uses a gun to shoot people in Europe. (Hell, that happens every day in the US, but we haven't changed gun regulations, or police training, or the mental health system.)

What about refugees from Afghanistan (who'd be predominantly Muslim, too) and the fact that we've had troops there for almost two decades?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    You mean the clear and worrying trend of violent Muslim extremism among people who've essentially grown up in Europe or lived there for a very long time, no doubt.
    Yes it is concerning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Seems he wasn't an asylum seeker anymore, his request was already denied.

Not sure the distinction is relevant in this kind of case in European countries, unless it influences their chances of getting to stay. There have been a few cases of asylum seekers flipping out after being denied asylum.

And now some sort of attack in Switzerland with several injured by a knife-wielding man who also burned some of them with fire...

Described as being a Swiss citizen. Another one like the Munich attacker?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    And now some sort of attack in Switzerland with several injured by a knife-wielding man who also burned some of them with fire...

Described as being a Swiss citizen. Another one like the Munich attacker?
    Not to be alarmist but. . . didn't EJ post a "goodbye" thread a little bit ago?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Not to be alarmist but. . . didn't EJ post a "goodbye" thread a little bit ago?
    That macabre thought occurred to me as well, hope he's all right :/