Thread: Windows 8 updating

Question Windows 8 updating

My friend has a frustrating HP laptop that I'm trying to help him upgrade to Windows 10. It has Windows 8 and followed the HP instructions to the letter for using their built-in factory reset since he wanted to be rid of all his old schoolwork. So far, so good there.

I've gotten it to run a handful of updates, but if I try to accept all of the 147 important updates at once, the system just gets stuck in a loop of the installation breaking and attempting to rollback during the reboot. I've ended up factory resetting a couple of times now after failed attempts. Are all of these updates required to get 8.1 or are there particular KBs that would be what I would need to target?

-----

-----

-----

-----

-----

My guess would be the Updates (near the bottom) rather than the Security Updates would be critical steps, on the other hand a lot of the security updates are absolutely tiny.

Maybe try doing in batches of eg 10 at a time and then if one doesn't work it'll be easier to figure out which is causing the problem and skip it until the others are done?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Thanks for the suggestion, RB. I started just doing them one at a time, after KB2871389, I was able to begin the 8.1 download.

Yay glad that worked

Now I guess you need to repeat that process to get from 8.1 to 10?

The deadline for a free upgrade to 10 must be expiring soon, or have MS extended that yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Well, it worked as far as downloading 8.1. The classic issue of failing to boot back up, getting the 0xC1900101-0x20017 code, and it rolling back to 8 has put me back into the fun habit of clearing out stuff with disk cleanup and wiping the store cache.

In a couple of hours, I'll know if this next attempt will work as well. If not, I'll be searching around seeing if there's anything out there about a possible driver in this thing that's gone wrong.

As far as I know, the deadline is still the 29th with the release of the anniversary update coming on the 2nd.

If you're still having trouble, I'd suggest loading the win10 installer onto a USB or burned DVD and installing from that. If it gives you a choice, a fresh install is also better than an upgrade.

Wraithy. I've got that USB waiting next to it.