Thread: Workers go on strike for fundamental human right

Default Workers go on strike for fundamental human right

... free beer.

Carlsberg workers strike over beer limits

Carlsberg factory workers used to be free to drink throughout the day
    Carlsberg workers in Copenhagen have gone on strike against new rules that restrict the amount of free beer they can consume during their working day.

Regulations brought in at the start of the month stipulate that workers are no longer allowed beer throughout the day, and can now only drink at lunchtime.

Workers claim they were not consulted on the changes, which is why more than 250 have decided to strike in protest.

Carlsberg said it would not be reversing the new policy.

"Carlsberg has pulled something over the heads of the workers. They won't have a dialogue with us," said Michael Christiansen, representing the striking employees.

"We have never had a problem with accidents or anything with alcohol involved."

The strike has affected beer deliveries into the Danish capital as delivery drivers have gone on strike in sympathy with their co-workers.

The strike began on Wednesday.

I heard Brits, yes the entire species, have a drinking problem.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Ah, so this was the Copenhagen just off the M6? (no it wasn't)
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I did not mean to imply I thought this article was about Brits. Just that brits like their drink. A lot.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

That almost beats the striking cleaners here in Holland who try to make it a thing about respect (not really, they want more money).
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I did not mean to imply I thought this article was about Brits. Just that brits like their drink. A lot.
    The young Brits that visit my area during the weekend like it a lot, but they appear not to like it for a long enough, considering how many of them vomit it out again.

Did I ever mention they also piss against the front door of my building? Actually, I could say that their drinking is my problem.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    The young Brits that visit my area during the weekend like it a lot, but they appear not to like it for a long enough, considering how many of them vomit it out again.

Did I ever mention they also piss against the front door of my building? Actually, I could say that their drinking is my problem.
    You need an electric welcome mat. Urine is a great conductor, all the way to the bladder.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

If that's legal, please tell me where to get one.
    Congratulations America

Heh heh. Sounds like a college town. Do you have riots there when the college basketball team wins the championship?
    The Rules

God seems to have some mercy on us.
    Congratulations America

My question is when did it get decided to allow the beer workers to drink unlimited free beer throughout the day?

The drivers striking in sympathy for the folks who want to drink on the job is especially touching.

If the beer workers would rather drink gin than beer is that provided as well?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Heh heh. Sounds like a college town. Do you have riots there when the college basketball team wins the championship?
    I don't think the Netherlands has any college basketball teams, much less a championship to win. I would imagine such partying happened following the Flying Dutchmen surviving the group of death during EURO 2008 though.

Brits in Copenhagen?

Hint: Copenhagen is not in the UK. Carlsberg (the beer I drink coincidentally) is Danish, Copenhagen is the capital of Denmark.

Yes and Amsterdam isn't the capital of Copenhagen either, what is your point.
    Congratulations America

God seems to have some mercy on us.
    No basketball in Europe? Lucky you. Are hooligans all Brits too? Burning down stadiums and such...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    My question is when did it get decided to allow the beer workers to drink unlimited free beer throughout the day?

The drivers striking in sympathy for the folks who want to drink on the job is especially touching.
    What a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Brits in Copenhagen?

Hint: Copenhagen is not in the UK. Carlsberg (the beer I drink coincidentally) is Danish, Copenhagen is the capital of Denmark.
    <sigh> Give me some credit - I'm not the average geographically ignorant American.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Well, they do that over at Samuel Adams breweries too. It's not so much a case of the rule saying "unlimited free beer during the day," as a case of the rule being that employees are allowed free beer during working hours, and since no one's abused that perk, there's no explicit limit on how much you can drink - but you'll still get fired for being drunk on the job or causing an accident after one too many, etc.

I have to believe it's the same situation at Carlsberg.

Frankly, whatever works - if letting your employees drink on the job leads to better beers, I say let them drink. Hell, force them to drink, even! We must leave no option unexplored in the quest for the perfect beer!
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

That place must have some really cool HR people. Or really stressed HR people.

I mean, sometimes people at work end up with some liquor and drink, but that's not a regular thing. We'd get nothing done.