Thread: $100? That's it?

Default $100? That's it?

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/mad...a66258214.html

"Judge Stephen Abany fined Caba $50 and assessed a $50 victim/witness fee. The judge noted that her case will be dismissed upon payment of the fine and fee by Nov. 1."

Seriously? When did we accept trespassing and vandalism as being OK? A $100 isn't even a slap on the wrist and since it will be dismissed after payment it isn't like it will become part of her criminal record. /boggle

This deranged lunatic is lucky this wasn't Texas. The homeowner would have been fully justified in blowing her worthless brains out if she didn't remove herself from his property when he ordered her to.

"Caba works at a Lawrence mental health provider as an early intervention counselor for children and families. She was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. "

Here is hoping she loses her job. In no way is she fit to be around kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post

"Judge Stephen Abany fined Caba $50 and assessed a $50 victim/witness fee. The judge noted that her case will be dismissed upon payment of the fine and fee by Nov. 1."

Seriously? When did we accept trespassing and vandalism as being OK? A $100 isn't even a slap on the wrist and since it will be dismissed after payment it isn't like it will become part of her criminal record. /boggle

This deranged lunatic is lucky this wasn't Texas. The homeowner would have been fully justified in blowing her worthless brains out if she didn't remove herself from his property when he ordered her to.

"Caba works at a Lawrence mental health provider as an early intervention counselor for children and families. She was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. "

Here is hoping she loses her job. In no way is she fit to be around kids.
    What she did was illegal, and appropriately so, but the fine seems appropriate for a first time offense, and WAY WAY WAY more appropriate than summary execution.

Edit: she should probably have been referred for psychiatric evaluation too, based on the description of her behavior.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

The fine seems reasonable, but the person's employers should consider whether she's qualified to be providing guidance to anyone.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Nah she should be killed to death repeatedly. With no chance of parole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I didn't say the necessary judicial punishment was death, I said that in Texas the homeowner would have been justified.

I didn't say the necessary judicial punishment was death, I said that in Texas the homeowner would have been justified.
    I think what you really mean is that in Texas, by law, the homeowner might have been able to murder the woman and get away with it. But no reasonable, objective analysis would ever find such a murder to be "just."
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

It's not ok, which is why the ruling went against her, but it's not a big deal either. And we decided this sort of activity wasn't a big deal somewhere around 1796-1802, around the time competitive political partisanship first took form in the country. The homeowner can always sue if he feels damaged or wronged by her activity but "vandalizing" a temporary political ad is not a big deal, criminally speaking. It's even less than a harm than removing a flowering annual from a decorative bed at the front of your lawn.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    It's even less than a harm than removing a flowering annual from a decorative bed at the front of your lawn.
    Now THAT is an unspeakable crime the perpetrator of which to whom I would forcibly submit various items of sharp and misshapen form within their rectal region until such a time as they concede that a man's marigolds in bloom are NOT to be trifled with
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Now THAT is an unspeakable crime the perpetrator of which to whom I would forcibly submit various items of sharp and misshapen form within their rectal region until such a time as they concede that a man's marigolds in bloom are NOT to be trifled with
    Aren't marigolds perennials? If one has an expectation that it will continue to bloom then the scale of the harm does increase.

Out of curiosity, Lewk, what do you think should be the penalty for putting up signs where they shouldn't go, like on public property or vacant private property? That's a similar crime, right?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Aren't marigolds perennials? If one has an expectation that it will continue to bloom then the scale of the harm does increase.

Out of curiosity, Lewk, what do you think should be the penalty for putting up signs where they shouldn't go, like on public property or vacant private property? That's a similar crime, right?
    Depends really but generally speaking misuse of private property should have stiff consequences. I'm sure there are examples where I don't think I'd care too much (oh noes you shouldn't advertise a yard sale on this telephone pole) or some nonsense. I do feel that what this person did was worse in several ways.

1. Deliberately destroyed property.
    2. Became very combative and refused to leave after being ordered to by the home owner. Its his land, he makes the rules.
    3. Created a scene on someone else's property.

I imagine if a man had done this to a woman homeowner, screamed at her, destroyed her property and caused a huge scene people would view it differently. In my mind once you violate the sanctity of someone's property *and continue to do is so much so that the homeowner contacts the police and you're still there by the time you arrive* you need to face jail time. Period. I'm not saying lock them up for years but put the moron in jail and send a message to everyone else. *PRIVATE PROPERTY IS PRIVATE!*