Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Olympics: Rio 2016

Default Olympics: Rio 2016

Kicks off with the opening ceremony today.

And off to a stuttering start before so much as a starting pistol has been fired. From the state-sponsored Russian doping scandal leaving most Russian athletes banned, to widespread protests amongst the poor at the cost of holding the games, culminating in the Olympic flame being blocked from its route to the games by the protesters, with scenes of riot police charging at the crowds.

Let's hope the games themselves proceed without a hitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

6 days in.

Four golds now for Phelps, taking his total tally to 22 golds, more than twice as many as any other Olympian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

OLYMPIC MEDALS TABLE (total medals):

1. Great Britain and her Former Colonies: 219
    2. China: 30
    3. Japan: 22
    4. Korea: 11
    5. Hungary: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Germany, Italy, and France are former British colonies?
    Hope is the denial of reality

They were beneath Hungary in the medal table when I posted that.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Your numbers are still way off. I count 103. There have been 341 medals total, and a few dozen of those were after you posted your number.

Quite probably, I copied and pasted it from elsewhere. Still funny.

In all seriousness, poor, wee, irrelevant and weak Britain [(c) Hazir] is currently third.

Great way to measure a country's importance.

Just a bit of fun.

Yes, just like Trump is always sarcastic. Fun is meant to be funny.

No, jokes are meant to be funny. I'm sure you must be familiar with the concept of sporting banter, there is no requirement for banter to be funny. It normally isn't.

Eh, "former colonies" isn't funny, it's actually kinda sad
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Oh boo hoo.

*shrug* It's just really sad however you look at it. Trying to take credit for other people's--and other nations'--success, living in the past, implicitly approving of some of the worst features of that past, it's all kinda embarrassing. Just enjoy the olympics like a normal person will you

Get over yourself. When I went to the cricket in the 1990s while living in Australia the Barmy Army chanted "we own your country". It's sporting banter stop being so stuck up.

Good god, it's a fucking joke, and as a citizen of a former colony I found it funny.

It appears that a few members had their funny bone surgically removed and had it replaced with a perpetually offended reflex.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Easier when your former colony wasn't pillaged for centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Good god, it's a fucking joke, and as a citizen of a former colony I found it funny.

It appears that a few members had their funny bone surgically removed and had it replaced with a perpetually offended reflex.
    I wasn't offended, I just thought it was sad and embarrassing. Banter doesn't have to be funny, but it shouldn't be so depressing (or, in the case of the Barmy Army, so fucking annoying). There's enough fremdschämen in it already. This isn't like the time back in 1969 when Britain and her former colonies put the first man on the moon, these are the Olympics ffs.

While this is the wrong thread for depressing philosophical musings, I invite you to consider the differences between the legacy of British colonial rule in the US and the legacy of British colonial rule in Asia and Africa. It's not surprising if an American finds it easier to laugh about colonialism than someone from eg. SE Asia or Africa. You guys got off easy

Rand's suffering from the sheer inability to put himself in the shoes of anyone who's not him. I believe the term for that is Trumpitis.

But sure, let's call a truce. No politics in the Olympics thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Get over yourself. When I went to the cricket in the 1990s while living in Australia the Barmy Army chanted "we own your country". It's sporting banter stop being so stuck up.
    While I am not in any way offended by your joke, are you seriously claiming something isn't offensive because British sports fans do it too?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Having learned from Eddie Izzard that no-one will ever take you seriously unless you have a flag, Team Refugee now appears to have a flag to call its own, as well as an anthem. I have mixed feelings but both are spot on. I hope the IOC lets them use the new flag at the games.

http://www.therefugeenation.org/

Since we are trying to avoid politics in this thread let's just say I hope you never learn anything other than a joke from Eddie Izzard.

On topic incredible from Mo Farrah who fell over in the 10,000m final only to get back up, recover and win gold. Absolutely incredible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/sp...m-shehaby.html

"After a moment of prayer, El Shehaby got up and seemed reluctant to perform the traditional bow to his opponent. Eventually, he gave a quick nod and left the mat. A judge and a referee urged him to return. Sasson then approached El Shehaby with his hand extended, but El Shehany backed away.

Throughout the competition, as at all judo matches, opponents have bowed to each other, often multiple times. To decline a handshake is a serious breach of judo etiquette.

“That is extremely rare in judo,” the American coach Jimmy Pedro said. “It is especially disrespectful considering it was a clean throw and a fair match. It was completely dishonorable and totally unsportsmanlike on the part of the Egyptian.”"

What a pussy. Shake the man's hand you fuck. The athletes from Israel risk their lives from you Islamic fucks (literally https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre ) and you can't even put the Olympics above your petty bull shit? He isn't the only piece of filth from that region either:

"Israeli and Lebanese athletes got into a dispute about sharing a bus to the opening ceremony last week. The Lebanese team admitted preventing Israeli athletes from boarding, but said it was because the bus had been reserved for the Lebanese athletes.

When a Saudi judo player forfeited a match on Tuesday, the official reason was that she was injured, but the Israeli news media claimed it was because she would have faced an Israeli in the next round.

At the 2004 Athens Games, Arash Miresmaeili, a gold medal favorite in judo, was disqualified for showing up over the weight limit for his first-round match against an Israeli. It was reported that he had gone on an eating binge to intentionally forfeit, and he said, “I refused to fight my Israeli opponent to sympathize with the suffering of the people of Palestine, and I do not feel upset at all.”"

Unbelievable run of medals at the moment, I thought after we did so well in 2012 (with the advantage of being hosts) that we'd fall back this time, but we are not just a clear third but on the heels of overtaking China for second on the medal table. Briefly were ahead of China earlier. Remarkable performance by Team GB.

Not reasonable of course but if you take away the swimming medals (which the USA have done so incredibly well at) we'd almost be first in the medal table.

Medal table excluding swimming.
    1 China 13 G, 11 S, 14 B (38 total)
    2 Great Britain 12 G, 10 S, 7 B (29 total)
    3 United States 10 G, 12 S, 11 B (33 total)

Makes perfect sense to exclude the thing the country in front of you is best at.

Does it? I said it didn't, but its like the other fake table simply entertaining. All-British final coming up shortly so we're guaranteed another gold and silver so unless China win something in the meantime we're going into second. Remarkable for a country of 60 million people to be second.

Britain officially back into second on the medal table with 14 golds and counting (another guaranteed gold still to come on Tuesday). Remarkable turnaround when you compare with our medal haul in Atlanta when Britain finished 36th with only one gold in the entire campaign.

Even excluding the 2012 Olympics for homecourt reasons, Britain won 19 gold medals in 2008. You really are an expert in misusing statistics. Incidentally, Britain has never won more than 1 gold medal in the entire history of Winter games...