Thread: The Tyranny of the Ideal: Justice in a Diverse Society

Default The Tyranny of the Ideal: Justice in a Diverse Society

Review of a book that, from the looks of it, may be a worthwhile read for both supporters and detractors of its main thesis:

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/4/12376522...idealism-enemy

https://www.amazon.com/Tyranny-Ideal.../dp/B018WNVEBK
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Based on the Vox description, seems like a perfectly reasonable thesis. We all know how well most revolutions turn out, especially for the people they're intended to help.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Or in other words... 'yaaaay status quo.' Or 'change is scary lets not have too much!' (Based on what I got from the article, have not read the book).

And most revolutions just entail moving from one status quo to another with a heck of a lot of violence in between.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Revolutions are like a box of chocolates, you never know which one you'll get. Usually the vomit-flavoured one, though.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I'm kind of fond of the result of the American Revolution. I also don't think we are in any danger of actually having a 'revolt.'

Or the simultaneous French Revolution, right?

The French Revolution is a pretty different concept than voting outside the established parties.

Also, does anyone notice how the opening and concluding paragraphs of Vox articles tend to be of a bizarrely different character than the rest of the piece?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    And most revolutions just entail moving from one status quo to another with a heck of a lot of violence in between.
    "Meet the new boss
    Same as the old boss."
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

The reviewers rage against Jill Stein and Gary Johnson is weird. Incrementalism vs. purity is worth debating, but I hardly see the US third party candidates as avatars of revolution. Especially versus the mainstream US parties they are competing against.

Have you not read the insane stuff Stein has said in the last few years?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    The reviewers rage against Jill Stein and Gary Johnson is weird. Incrementalism vs. purity is worth debating, but I hardly see the US third party candidates as avatars of revolution. Especially versus the mainstream US parties they are competing against.
    Afaict it's mostly in response to those who say they see no real difference between Trump and Clinton--or who, bizarrely enough, believe that if Trump wins it will ultimately advance progressivism in the US whereas a Clinton victory would set that movement back--and some of the argumentation rests on the premise that votes for a third party candidate do not do enough to reduce Trump's chances of winning and may even improve his chances.

Johnson is pulling from both R and D voters in roughly equal numbers. Stien is going to pull from the Bernie side of the D's.

Honestly, I don't get it either. The blowhards and some here seem to think we have to vote for one of the major parties. A significant amount so registered voters are not affiliated with R's or D's.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Afaict it's mostly in response to those who say they see no real difference between Trump and Clinton--or who, bizarrely enough, believe that if Trump wins it will ultimately advance progressivism in the US whereas a Clinton victory would set that movement back--and some of the argumentation rests on the premise that votes for a third party candidate do not do enough to reduce Trump's chances of winning and may even improve his chances.
    Eh I can sort of see the rational 'Trump will be so awful that the Republican party won't win another election for 40 years, now we'll have the opportunity to get a REAL progressive in.' Rather stupid to be honest but hey they supported Bernie in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Eh I can sort of see the rational 'Trump will be so awful that the Republican party won't win another election for 40 years, now we'll have the opportunity to get a REAL progressive in.'
    This is basically what the reviewer is criticizing. In order to progress towards a utopia that is itself likely to be severely flawed, some people are willing to put almost everything on the line, in the unjustified belief that it'll all play out the way they want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Johnson is pulling from both R and D voters in roughly equal numbers. Stien is going to pull from the Bernie side of the D's.

Honestly, I don't get it either. The blowhards and some here seem to think we have to vote for one of the major parties. A significant amount so registered voters are not affiliated with R's or D's.
    You need to vote R or D as any other vote is wasted. From what little I know of Johnson he seems the best candidate by far. But if I was a Yank and I thought my vote would influence the final outcome I'd 100% be voting Clinton despite that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    You need to vote R or D as any other vote is wasted. From what little I know of Johnson he seems the best candidate by far. But if I was a Yank and I thought my vote would influence the final outcome I'd 100% be voting Clinton despite that.
    Rand, if 40% of registered voters are not affiliated with either party, maybe if they were more aware of other choices AND WERE NOT YAMMERED AT NONSTOP ABOUT THEIR VOTE BEING WASTED, we would see more responsive government.

Why do you and others want to keep us on these Voter Plantations?

Nope, as long as we have first past the post, third parties will never establish themselves. The best you can hope for is some kind of a regional party, but that only made sense for southern segregationists.

Never?

Hmm...The Party of Lincoln may disagree.

There was no real third party. The GOP simply replaced the Whigs within a few electoral cycles.

And this election cycle could lead to an interesting fragmentation of that same party.

Trump is about as Republican as Aimless is, but with none of the redeeming qualities that Aimless has.

My point is even if the GOP fragments, it will disappear and will be replaced by another party within a decade. And we'd be back where we started.

And it won't be replaced by the Libertarians. Only a mass party is capable of winning elections under our electoral system.

I will be a revolutionary... I will rotate my desk to see at another direction to prove it...
    This is how low the idea of non armed revolution has become.

Also, I do not see how an armed revolt that uses violence to make tings worse is a revolution, I would just call it a violent mess to change the name at the door of an office.

But when I see the IV industrial revolution announced in Davos... that is quite a revolution that is coming...
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

My point is even if the GOP fragments, it will disappear and will be replaced by another party within a decade. And we'd be back where we started.

And it won't be replaced by the Libertarians. Only a mass party is capable of winning elections under our electoral system.
    As the left gets more puritanical about things and continues to increase the size and scope of government I could see a future where the Republican party splinters and basically becomes merged with the Libertarian party. Whatever it is actually called matters less than what the party will actually represent. (Freedom, both in the pocket book and in the bedroom, freedom to take a gamble - on a business or at the poker table, freedom to self medicate and purchase insurance across state lines).

The GOP has already fragmented....but it hasn't disappeared. Probably because they convinced Libertarians and Tea Party Patriots (etc.) they'd only win elections under the larger Republican Party, which perpetuated the duopoly. Ironically, that play for power spread within the GOP, and contributed to its own self-destruction.

You make a good point -- our elections *are* won under an electoral system, but since that's been manipulated by elected officials from just two dominant 'mass' parties, it's pretty hard to separate wheat from chaff (see gerrymandering).