Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Islam and the west

What makes you believe that it's not otherwise legal to cover your face? Which countries are you thinking of, specifically?

Legislating against nudity is generally motivated by some sort of assumption that too much nudity risks harming some of those who are forced to view it, eg. children, sexual harassment victims, nuns etc. It is not motivated by a desire to protect people from themselves. To some extent it's also justified by long-held outmoded religious taboos against indecency.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    What makes you believe that it's not otherwise legal to cover your face? Which countries are you thinking of, specifically?

Legislating against nudity is generally motivated by some sort of assumption that too much nudity risks harming some of those who are forced to view it, eg. children, sexual harassment victims, nuns etc. It is not motivated by a desire to protect people from themselves. To some extent it's also justified by long-held outmoded religious taboos against indecency.
    In Holland there is a blanket prohibition of all face covering in public for as long as I care to remember. It is possible for local authorities to allow temporarily lifting that ban. As far as I know that ban is not stricly enforced, and given the low numbers of women that actually are as extremist as to cover their face in public that is not a huge problem. Given that the Dutch criminal code is based in the Code Napoleon like that of a big number of EU states, it would surprise me if it's very different in most other countries.
    Congratulations America

Afaict the Dutch ban--assuming it is still in effect--is a partial ban and doesn't prohibit wearing masks and veils on the street. Has that changed? How many other countries have real bans?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    In Holland there is a blanket prohibition of all face covering in public for as long as I care to remember. It is possible for local authorities to allow temporarily lifting that ban. As far as I know that ban is not stricly enforced, and given the low numbers of women that actually are as extremist as to cover their face in public that is not a huge problem. Given that the Dutch criminal code is based in the Code Napoleon like that of a big number of EU states, it would surprise me if it's very different in most other countries.
    Really? That is definitely not enforced. Nobody cares if you wear a mask in public or when bikers wear a balaclava (or if you have a motorcycle helmet you can't look in).
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I looked it up and am pretty sure you're wrong. Only thing i can find us a law from 2015 banning face covering in public transportation, government buildings, hospitals and schools. It explicitly states it is allowed on the streets (though police may request you to remove it if they need identification).
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Covering your face is not 'otherwise legal'.
    Yes it is, which is why you can find masks in every grocery or corner store during Halloween.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I looked it up and am pretty sure you're wrong. Only thing i can find us a law from 2015 banning face covering in public transportation, government buildings, hospitals and schools. It explicitly states it is allowed on the streets (though police may request you to remove it if they need identification).
    It's in the code of penal law by means of the APV. If that contains a prohibition on masks or similar then you can be ordered to remove it or be fined by the police. If you look around a bit you can even find APV's that make carrying a balakava (not wearing it) punishable.

The law you are referring to is a national proposal of a law to prohibit any face covering gear in specific situations (educational institutions and public transport amongst them).
    Congratulations America

Covering your face is not 'otherwise legal'. Government seems to have no qualms legislating also against a lack of clothing.
    The burkini will lead women to be fined in France.
    If burkini is a sign of oppression, punish the oppressors, but making a woman who decided to wear a burkini, is very sexist. It is about punishing a woman for deciding for herself, and make a concious decision about her body.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Some criminals on a beach, yesterday.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I can see their faces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

What does the gold-winning, hajib-wearing, muslim woman say about fencing? That she not only loved the sport, but that her country (the USA) helped support and train her.....even though she was wearing a religious head covering.

A hijab is not remotely the same as a niqab or burqa.

Though I don't think anyone here has claimed people.cant wear such and either love their country or be a success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...ttacker-France

Wow... when truth is stranger than fiction (and a lot more frightening)

"He said: “He was shocked. He is weak. He was hit in the abdominal region a few centimetres from a vital organ.”

Mr Levy was said to be wearing items of clothing that would identify him as a Hasidic Jew.

Initial reports said the perpetrator was suffering from psychological problems and was known to the authorities for carrying out a similar attack in 2010.

The incident on Friday morning is the latest in a string of religiously-motivated attacks on French soil."

You got a crazed Islamic Terrorist who assaults people and he is let out of jail? Oh gee let's let him back out on the streets to do it a third time. Though I'm sure the typical crowd here would be against his lifetime incarceration.

Yeah the whole ban the burqa thing is one of those situations where, as an American, I scratch my head at Europe. O_o;

Well, since you are still in this 'this isn't Islam' stage every time a IS adept goes on a rampage, I could understand that.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Spenni View Post
    Yeah the whole ban the burqa thing is one of those situations where, as an American, I scratch my head at Europe. O_o;
    The ironic thing is it isn't typically the women who are carrying out the Islamic terrorist attacks. There are exceptions of course but the statement is generally true. I still think for security issues you have to be able to reveal your face at airports and the like but not just day to day activities.

Well, since you are still in this 'this isn't Islam' stage every time a IS adept goes on a rampage, I could understand that.
    Did you miss the fact that A) nearly all the ISIS terrorists are male, and B) well over 90% are not observant Muslims? ISIS isn't a replica of the old Salafist terrorist movements (like al-Qaeda). It's made up of cultural Muslims, who are social misfits and/or mentally ill.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Did you miss the fact that A) nearly all the ISIS terrorists are male, and B) well over 90% are not observant Muslims? ISIS isn't a replica of the old Salafist terrorist movements (like al-Qaeda). It's made up of cultural Muslims, who are social misfits and/or mentally ill.
    Did you miss the fact that:
    1. No muslim gives a hoot about what non-muslims think is islamic or not ?
    2. No muslim can ever be certain if islamic terrorism isn't actually islamic? It may not be his terrorism but that does not automatically make it unislamic.
    3. That there is no such thing as observant vs non-observant muslim? You either are a muslim or you are not.
    4. That there is a movement typified as political islam which actively exploits religious tradition to make even co-habitation with others impossible? That IS is nothing more and nothing less than an exponent of that movement?
    5. That by politicizing your religious tradition, that very tradition actually becomes political rather than religious?
    6. That there is no reason to assume women don't play their part in this?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Spenni View Post
    'Europe' is not a single place.

The French context and history for this sort of policy is very different to that of its neighbours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

What I just realized is that where Americans could start off with a state where 'the church' was actually never part of that state, most European countries started from a position where the beast actually had to be tamed for the state to be secular. We didn't have this luxury to just declare that 'religion is personal and private' and sit back. We had to actually fight the whole 'cuius regio, eus religio' thing for the all powerful church to become house trained.
    Congratulations America

If this was a year ago, I'd dismiss these people as crazies with no influence. But it's not, and these kind of views are increasingly becoming the norm in Republican circles.
    Last edited by Loki; 07-05-2017 at 02:03 PM.

They're very helpful though, they seem to have introduced thousands of western Muslims to the concept of taqiyya

Well that was rather depressing reading.

Agree with Loki. With the funding that these anti-Islam organisations receive from the right increasing their influence to the point that the leaders of said organisations are now in the president's inner-circle is frightening.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Recently I was in Turkey in a hotel with a swimming pool where at a certain time somebody organized a ball game. It was sort of handball in the water. I just watched it from the side. The thing that made me feel good about the game, and why I post here in this thread was that the teams consisted of people of all sorts of backgrounds and included a woman dressed in a swimsuit that covered her from her head to her feet. Sometimes it's good to see your prejudices challenged.
    Congratulations America

That there is a need to post that kind of 'muslims in acting like normal people shocker' stuff on this board is also depressing.

Post like that make me understand what women have got against mansplaining; there 'is no need for such posts', there is a potential for change that can be tapped.
    Congratulations America

Tip of the iceberg, really, but I was impressed with the tenacity and creativity of these particular Westerners:

https://www.news-journal.com/news/lo...b9f98f80b.html

GDPR-loophole:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=se

Article does not report the location of the magic carpet.

It's because we take their women

But in all seriousness, this has been a long time coming. The same developments you've seen in the UK and in the US have been occurring in Sweden for nearly least as long (see eg. the tug of war been UKIP and the Tories) and have been accelerated by the influx of refugees and policy-driven socioeconomic segregation. Swedish racists have been influential in the development of the alt-right's methods.

I was quite despondent until I realized that time itself is their enemy and our friend. These xenophobic spasms cannot turn the tide--only stem it. Of course, so long as Sweden keeps spasming, I'll be voting to obstruct the racists' access to welfare