Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy now BLM?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    It's a statement, Rand. There's a reason the military doesn't allow people to resign if there's a dishonorable discharge coming down the line.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

The military are an exception in many things for good reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

And cops who also get guns are not something a similar exception should be made for?

Might be a very sensible lesson worth learning yes. Along with better background checks.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Might be a very sensible lesson worth learning yes. Along with better background checks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I'm failing to see a qualitative difference. Either way he was out of a job and I don't know many organisations that insist upon firing someone who has resigned.
    Good thing you're logically consistent...

You made a good point and I recognised it as such. What's inconsistent about that?

EDIT: Should I have been stubborn rather than acknowledge you'd made a good point?

Thinking about it there may be contractual issues.

My employees contract of employment gives them the right to resign at any time. As such even if I wanted to fire someone, if someone resigns first I'd be a bit stuck trying to do so. I might be able to force the issue but without ever having wanted to or looking into this further I suspect I would struggle.

The military normally operates on a term basis and soldiers lack the ability to resign at will. This makes sense as otherwise soldiers could just resign rather than getting a dangerous posting. As such if the military doesn't want to accept a resignation they don't have to and can go down other routes.

Do Police Officer contracts prevent them from resigning at will? I genuinely don't know, but that could be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    It's a statement, Rand. There's a reason the military doesn't allow people to resign if there's a dishonorable discharge coming down the line.
    You're right, there is a reason. It's because a dishonorable discharge is part of sentencing in the US. It can only arise from a court martial and it is part of the criminal punishment after a judicial guilty verdict. It is not analogous to being fired however similar their outcomes appear vis a vis employment.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

There is precedent. Recently, a large number of CEOs were fired after having decided to resign.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Do you have examples?

See Trump thread

The councils he did dissolve were about to resign in mass according to sources. Even the arts council that did manage to resign in mass with a fuck you letter was met with a "I was going to fire them anyway"
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    See Trump thread
    Oh you were joking. That was funny it just went over my head.

Revolting if true:

https://medium.com/@ShaunKing/soul-s...k-7454a5a43924

Will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few days.

The first part of the article is extremely long-winded and annoying but when he gets to the meat of the matter it's pretty good. I just can't believe the scale of the settlements and the dismissed charges.

Shocking if true. I'm going to guess we won't find out for a very long time.
    Hope is the denial of reality

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...cases-dropped/

Perhaps this is all just a sneaky solution to the problem of prison overcrowding.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Shocking if true. I'm going to guess we won't find out for a very long time.
    The lawsuits alone seem kinda damning.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...169728632.html

They probably just wanted an autograph

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Not seen the video. How can you "admit" to something that isn't true?

I admit that the sun rises in the west on Thursdays.

Sounds like Leave propaganda.

Do Police in America not carry batons? A British cop in similar circumstances would not only not be armed but if they were worried that a petite pregnant woman had a knife they'd be trained and able to defend themselves with batons rather than firing from a distance. Firearms should be a last resort not a first one.

You were the one dismissing police shooting statistics when the victim had a knife...like a month ago.

And Lewk thinks they should want MORE of these cops in constantly around their neighborhoods. She's the one who called them for assistance and they gunned her down.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/philly-po...163823054.html

Must be a "few bad apples" that elected this man as the head of the police union.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    You were the one dismissing police shooting statistics when the victim had a knife...like a month ago.
    There's having a knife and having a knife. If a rampaging big man is carrying a knife and stabbing people - or in one specific example I posted here holding the knife to the throat of someone he was holding hostage before a sniper took him out - then that can be a good shot.

If a scared, small, pregnant woman in her own home, who called the cops herselves for help "has a knife" then that sounds completely different. Context matters.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...11368117300554

For those who think body cameras are a panacea. As I keep on saying, you only need one Lewk in the jury.