Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy now BLM?

Who has said panacea? I think we've said its an improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

In the case of search decisions, we explicitly test for discrimination by examining both the rate at which drivers are searched and the likelihood searches turn up contraband. We find evidence that the bar for searching black and Hispanic drivers is lower than for searching whites...
    https://5harad.com/papers/traffic-stops.pdf
    Hope is the denial of reality

Interesting from your link:
    Aggregating across location, searches of Hispanic drivers yield contraband 22% of the time, compared to 28%
    for searches of white and black drivers. In computing these aggregate statistics, we include Mis-
    souri and Maryland, which provide search and contraband data but not stop location, and Vermont,
    which has too few stops of minorities to be included in our county-level analysis in Figure 4. The
    outcome test thus indicates that search decisions may be biased against Hispanic drivers but not
    black drivers.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Good for him standing up for himself

http://us15.campaign-archive2.com/?u...&id=257593770b

And they say Americans don't think about the big questions in life.

I kinda hate you for prompting me to read several court cases to no real point by posting that.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I kinda hate you for prompting me to read several court cases to no real point by posting that.
    Let this be a lesson to you, you maniac I'll try to remember to just quote the bit that caught my attention in the future in the futile hope of saving you from your own self-destructive & compulsive thoroughness

Police defending themselves against white knife-wielding maniac: http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/...171299072.html

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...r-case-w501745

New York's Civilian Complaint Review Board has substantiated two complaints against Daniel Pantaleo, the New York City policeman caught on tape in the infamous Eric Garner case. Rolling Stone has learned the board ruled that Pantaleo did in fact use a chokehold, and also ruled that Pantaleo restricted Garner's breathing.

This is the first real step toward discipline of officer Pantaleo in the three years since Garner's killing. While the ruling does not necessarily mean he actually will be disciplined by the NYPD, it does at least mean a group of city investigators has finally conceded that Pantaleo used a banned procedure and improper force.

[...]

The CCRB, after it completes its investigations, issues one of six recommendations. A "substantiated" finding means the investigators concluded that the officer both committed the act in question and was not justified in doing so.

The CCRB in the extant case involving Pantaleo issued two "substantiated" rulings. It ruled "PO Daniel Pantaleo used a chokehold against Eric Garner," and also that "PO Daniel Pantaleo restricted Eric Garner's breathing."

Pantaleo has a not-inconsiderable history with the CCRB.

Earlier this year, Pantaleo's CCRB records were leaked to ThinkProgress. They showed Pantaleo had faced 14 allegations of misconduct prior to the Garner case, with four of those having been substantiated. The worst punishment he received was two docked vacation days.

The CCRB leaker, incidentally, was fired after that incident.

Pantaleo is still on the NYPD payroll. In the first two years after the incident, he reportedly even earned as much as $40,000 in overtime.

[...]

In a study conducted by NYPD Inspector General Phillip Eure in the wake of the Garner case, it was found officers seldom, if ever, received serious discipline for using the dangerous procedure.

In nine of ten cases Eure looked at, the CCRB recommended the strongest possible discipline – i.e., departmental charges against the officer.

In each of those nine cases, the department ultimately opted for a lesser punishment, ranging from no punishment at all to the loss of five vacation days.

Article about said investigation:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...ipline/384422/

#justiceforall #badapples

http://www.nydailynews.com/amp/news/...icle-1.3493228

Why are American cops so fucking contemptible?

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/com...-running-cops/

More bad apples. But I'm sure it's ok because the victim was a criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Why are American cops so fucking contemptible?
    I blame the approximately 9000 cop shows about maverick detectives who "play by their own rules".
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Yeah cops are more likely to be violent with an uncooperative criminal with an outstanding warrant for domestic violence who is armed with a gun because they think they're on a TV show, than because of the approximately 9000 cops injured on the line of duty every two months.

That information was not known at the time, nor was it relevant to the appropriateness of tazing a pregnant woman repeatedly.

Well she has been arrested for felony assaulting an officer. Her background of domestic violence certainly wasn't known about but goes to her character. There's 4 videos apparently, I hope they come out as appropriate and either she gets prosecuted if she is guilty or the officers are if it wasn't appropriate.

Believe it or not, criminals still have rights.

Which don't extend to what she was arrested for (assaulting a Police Officer).

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Which don't extend to what she was arrested for (assaulting a Police Officer).
    You mean what she was arrested for over a day later? That's the sort of thing you get arrested for at the time. . . except when it's an action the department takes after the fact to try and provide cover for questionable police action earlier.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

http://www.gainesville.com/news/2017...gainst-hot-cop

American cops get their training on reddit.

You mean what she was arrested for over a day later? That's the sort of thing you get arrested for at the time. . . except when it's an action the department takes after the fact to try and provide cover for questionable police action earlier.
    We'll see, there's 4 videos that will no doubt come out in court so it will all come out. If its a cover up that's worse than the initial abuse and even more heads should roll. If she's guilty then that still doesn't really justify IMO tasering a pregnant woman unless it was really the last resort.

http://www.gainesville.com/news/2017...gainst-hot-cop

American cops get their training on reddit.
    Good on him for helping with the Irma relief effort but that jokes not funny at all. Stick to the day job, don't become a comedian.

FYI. Employees of departments that partake in Emergency Operations after a disaster have no opt out option. We either work when activated or get fired. Our pay comes out of FEMA so a lot of people are treating it like a bottomless OT pit.
    Hell, it's the first time in 16 years working for the county that ill be getting OT pay, and it's going to massive.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Justice for all*

* Terms and conditions apply ✝

✝ black people need not apply

It was a judge, not a jury, that found that he was not proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Want do you want?

Will you only be happy with lynchings for cops?

I'd happily settle for cops losing their jobs and going to jail for murdering people.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    It was a judge, not a jury, that found that he was not proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Want do you want?
    I want there to not be a higher evidentiary standard to get cops convicted. I want their legal privilege to kill people toned down so we stop seeing so much of this. I want to remove the vastly expanded understanding of what "self-defense" means when it comes to cops on the job. "Self-defense" is supposed to be an affirmative defense, which means the defense is supposed to be able to prove it for it to be valid. If any of us had been in that cop's position, the shooting would not have been counted self-defense.

I want there to not be a higher evidentiary standard to get cops convicted. I want their legal privilege to kill people toned down so we stop seeing so much of this. I want to remove the vastly expanded understanding of what "self-defense" means when it comes to cops on the job. "Self-defense" is supposed to be an affirmative defense, which means the defense is supposed to be able to prove it for it to be valid. If any of us had been in that cop's position, the shooting would not have been counted self-defense.
    Preach.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I'd happily settle for cops losing their jobs and going to jail for murdering people.
    He's already not a cop anymore.
    But you're not in that cops position.

Maybe if America could deal with the fact their cops are far more likely to be killed or injured in the job then they'd no longer have such a need for self-defense. More cops in the USA are killed every single month by gunfire than have been killed by gunfire in the UK in the whole 21st century. That's fucked up and the root cause of the cops needing to fire themselves.

HE PLANTED THE EVIDENCE for the claim of self-defense, Rand. He knew he hadn't acted in self-defense and his subsequent actions demonstrated that. And he still couldn't get convicted. It doesn't fucking matter what their risk is elsewhere when the encounter they're actually in doesn't involve any of that. Stockley was under zero risk of being shot except possibly from his use of his own gun, because there was no other gun on the scene.