Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy now BLM?

He planted it? Where is that shown?

Maybe you should have read the news article in full, the judge determined that he didn't plant it which is kind of critical to why he got acquited.
    In his order acquitting Stockley on Friday, [Judge] Wilson said he did not believe evidence supported the prosecution's argument that the officer planted the gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

he said it would be strange if Smith didn’t have a gun, given that he was believed to be a drug dealer: “Finally, the Court observes, based on its nearly thirty years on the bench, that an urban heroin dealer not in possession of a firearm would be an anomaly.”
    Sounds like you guys went to the same law school.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    He planted it? Where is that shown?

Maybe you should have read the news article in full, the judge determined that he didn't plant it which is kind of critical to why he got acquited.
    You don't understand what an affirmative defense means. I get that. But the judge does. And he still didn't follow it. The defense has to prove that the conditions for their affirmative defense hold. They don't need to meet the "beyond all reasonable doubt" standard, but they do still need to prove it via preponderance of evidence. There is no evidence that gun belonged to the victim. There was evidence linking it to Stockley. Even the lesser standard required for an affirmative defense doesn't get met there.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

You are wrong.

Self-defense is a Common Law affirmative defense which means unlike most other affirmative defenses that the prosecution are required to disprove it beyond a reasonable doubt still.

Some States have legislated to require a preponderance of evidence standard but they are a minority. Missouri, like most States in America (and other Common Law nations like the UK) requires the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused was not acting in self-defense.

Moving on, I see no evidence from the news article beyond a reasonable doubt that the fun was linked to Stockley. Yes there were finger prints but there would be since he was searching the car.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Good. Well done Ohio PD.

Again cameras making an opportunity to catch bad behaviour and nip it in the bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Sounds like you guys went to the same law school.
    Is he wrong?

http://newsok.com/deaf-man-shot-kill...rticle/5564788

Plot-twist: the driver hit a liberal protester

Not sure why that's a plot twist.

Again not sure either why American officers don't seem to be trained in the use of truncheons or other forms of non-lethal self-defense. Whereas tasers are the weapon of last resort for our cops, they seem to be the first resort before firearms for American cops.

not sure either why American officers don't seem to be trained in the use of truncheons or other forms of non-lethal self-defense. Whereas tasers are the weapon of last resort for our cops, they seem to be the first resort before firearms for American cops.
    For the same reasons you've justified their actions in the past. Their lives > our lives.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

No that's not reason enough. If someone has a gun or is believed to have a gun then it makes sense to shoot first considering the ridiculous death toll and prevalence of firearms in America.

But if someone lacks a gun or other form of firearm ... a British cop would most likely disarm an aggressor armed with a pipe with a truncheon rather than a taser or firearm - and without endangering himself. American cops seem to lack basic training on non-lethal self-defense.

Americans have a right to carry a firearm. That's a license to shoot anyone.
    Hope is the denial of reality

You know I support abolishing that right, don't you?

Right, but while that right is in place, American police should not be able to use 'he had a gun' as an excuse to kill someone.

Especially given that someone carrying a gun in the UK is far more likely to be intending to use it than in America. People don't just carry weapons around for shits and gigs over here, so if they're carrying one it's probably for a reason, and the reason is highly unlikely to be legitimate.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I guess no one told those snowflake cops that their job might actually put them in danger at some point.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I guess no one told those snowflake cops that their job might actually put them in danger at some point.
    They're marching together for protection now:

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/food...zeria-on-blast

Wonder how many of them are also militiamen.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Right, but while that right is in place, American police should not be able to use 'he had a gun' as an excuse to kill someone.

Especially given that someone carrying a gun in the UK is far more likely to be intending to use it than in America. People don't just carry weapons around for shits and gigs over here, so if they're carrying one it's probably for a reason, and the reason is highly unlikely to be legitimate.
    While cops are getting mowed down by armed suspects then absolutely "he had a gun and I thought he was going to shoot me" is an excuse.

Try using actual evidence and compare cop fatalities between the UK and the USA. British cops don't face even a fraction of the deadly danger that American ones do.

America is fucked up.

Randblade. Stop chatting bollocks. They aren't being 'mowed down', that's cop apologist fantasy. Just because being a cop in the US is more dangerous than in the UK and Europe doesn't mean it's so dangerous that they need to resort to the reconnaissance by fire approach at the slightest provocation (when the suspect is black). Check the statistics, policeman doesn't even get a place in the top 10 most dangerous jobs in the US.

That's without getting into the the topic of whether or not wildly over-escalating encounters with (black) members of the public might be contributing to to US police fatalities rather than preventing them.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Per annum deaths per million (by cops by any means)

Asian/Pacific Islanders: 1.34
    White 2.91
    Native American 3.4
    Hispanic/Latino 3.48
    Blacks 7.1

Per annum deaths per million (by gunfire only excluding friendly fire)
    Cops 68.9

A cop is nearly 10 times as likely to be killed by gunfire by a suspect than a black man is likely to be killed by a cop. Factor in non-gunfire related deaths and that's likely to increase over 10x.

They get paid for the risk. Plus most cop killers are of the white militia variety.
    Hope is the denial of reality

being an oil worker is orders of magnitude more deadly than being a police officer. No wonder the US is so "Fuck Yeah!" when it comes to blowing up oil countries.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

They don't get paid to ignore the risk and neither do oil workers.

They don't get paid to ignore the risk and neither do oil workers.
    if this was true we wouldn't have a police force and all the oil would still be in the ground. you can be as prepared and protected as possible but there is still a hazard involved in the work, thats why the pay is what it is. The fact that a hazard exists however doesn't mean that every action one takes should assume such hazard will manifest in death, or at all. Your Uncle Jimbo approach to danger is...odd.

Indeed there is a hazard and that hazard makes cops twenty times more likely to die than white people and ten times more likely to die than black people. That is today with the precautions and shooting that they do today.

If we were to bring those figures into equilibrium so blacks were just as likely to be shot as cops were then the Police would be a lot more militarised. I'm not proposing that and I don't think anyone else does either. If "every action one takes should assume such hazard will manifest in death" then the death toll would be a lot higher.

As a means of comparison also per million so comparing like for like:

Palestinian deaths by Israeli security forces: 23.9
    Israeli security forces deaths by Palestinians: 6.2

So a Palestinian is 4x more likely to be killed than someone working for the Israeli security forces, rather than 1/10th as likely. A Palestinian is over 3x as likely to be killed as a black American. I'm not suggesting for one second that the ambition for America is to be like Israel/Palestine but someone in the Israeli security forces is in considerably less mortal danger than an American cop. That's counter-intuitive.

Yeah American cops are all risk-averse trigger happy clowns.

Police would be a lot more militarised. I'm not proposing that and I don't think anyone else does either.
    hold on to your britches, this is exactly what Trump just allowed.

I don't know what you're talking about but I'm no fan of your loony tunes President.

No offense intended to Bugs Bunny.

That is a totally bogus approach to assessing risk to determine whether or not police behavior is justified. You should look at risk per police encounter. As it is, you're including infants and the institutionalized elderly in the numbers for civilians and ignoring the frequency of encounters.

I don't know what you're talking about
    http://bfy.tw/E4rf

basically Trump is undoing an order by Obama that limited the military from transferring "surplus" equipment to police departments. An order Obama signed while directly mentioning the hostile trends between police and the public. Trump claims his decision to reverse the ban is to stop the erosion of family values.

Kneeling American football-players everywhere. I dig it.