Thread: Happy now BLM?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    There are different types of police shootings.

1. Completely justified police shootings
    2. Police shootings where not a lot of information is known
    3. Police shootings that were questionable - reasonable people can view it one way or another
    4. Obviously bad/unethical police work

The problem is that ANY of these types of examples lead to violence and rioting.
    The only reason all of them can sometimes lead to such a result is because #3 & #4 are so wearily familiar in these communities. There is no benefit of the doubt accorded to the police because it is demonstrated every day that they don't deserve it. They've forfeited these communities trust.

Such as the Milwaukee riots recently where there is no doubt that it was a good shot. This creates an atmosphere among the police of "well shit... even if we do our jobs properly we are still going to get in trouble."
    This is not a chicken and the egg situation. The police are the ones that made this bed.

Solutions to the problems of police abuse is body cameras. Vigilant prosecution of CLEAR bad actors and COMPLETE 100% support of the police officers who do their job properly.
    That would be nice. But it mostly doesn't happen. It CERTAINLY happens less often, proportionally, to the police getting attacked for what were actually lawful AND reasonable actions.

Their pullback has caused death and property damage and that is very sad but in the long run the pros may outweigh the cons since the community will realize that the criminal element in their community is far far more dangerous to them than any police force.
    I wouldn't be so sure. The guardians actually have to be held to a higher standard than the lawless elements they guard against.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    This is not a chicken and the egg situation. The police are the ones that made this bed.
    There was a point before police started shooting where they weren't regularly losing their or their colleagues lives and weren't in danger in America? Please let me know when this point was in your eyes? When was the bed made?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    There was a point before police started shooting where they weren't regularly losing their or their colleagues lives and weren't in danger in America? Please let me know when this point was in your eyes? When was the bed made?
    I'm not sure what you're asking because your sentence structure is confusing to me. But it appears police have been shooting black folks unjustly and getting away with it for a long time. At any rate, the black community has been complaining about it for a long time, though the mainstream didn't take them seriously until very recently, with the advent of video evidence.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I'm not sure what you're asking because your sentence structure is confusing to me. But it appears police have been shooting black folks unjustly and getting away with it for a long time. At any rate, the black community has been complaining about it for a long time, though the mainstream didn't take them seriously until very recently, with the advent of video evidence.
    Criminals also cry wolf. I mean lets face it violent criminals are pretty much scum with no moral compass. Do you really think they would be honest? It is also in criminal's best interest to handcuff the police force as much as they can - they will always cry abuse even where there is none. Video evidence is important and that's why I support body cams. Most cops are fine, the bad ones should be removed. Do that with video evidence - not the say so of a criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    The point of a "chicken and egg" situation is that both have been going back indefinitely. But apparently this isn't such a situation and the Police made this bed. Which means there must have been a point of time where the police were not shooting blacks. There must have been a point of time where the Police weren't losing their lives, or their colleagues lives. There must have been a point of time when the lives of the Police was not in danger in America. Because after this point of time the Police apparently made the bed and started shooting.

I am wondering when this was. When was the bed made? When did the Police start shooting and when after that did their lives start to be put at risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    This problem didn't start with police shootings, Rand, or with fear of harm by the police. You're looking at the latest expression and pretending it is sui generis. This is not new. When did the problem start? It started with the "Great Migration" in the 1920s as black people left the South and rural areas and moved into the industrialized cities. It started with discrimination older than country and policing standards/assumptions which have not changed in all that time.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post

I like how you assume 'the police' are a monolithic entity. Police relations in different communities are vastly different. Saying that people should be suspicious of police shootings simply because some police in some parts of the country have done bad things isn't much different than saying "well blacks do proportionally more crime than other ethnic groups so we should treat them with suspicion.'

In fact one of the areas that actually was doing their best to remedy the situation was Dallas.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.eeb488da27eb

"Brown has fired more than 70 Dallas cops since taking office. But he doesn’t just fire bad cops, he also announces the firings — and the reasons for them — on social media. It’s a bold sort of transparency for which, again, he’s been criticized by police groups. Shortly after taking office, Brown fired a police officer who had kicked and maced a handcuffed suspect. But he not only fired the cop, he publicly praised the officer who turned that cop in, an implicit acknowledgment and criticism of the notorious Blue Wall. “One of the things that I really want to express about Officer Upshaw’s action is that we should not as a department ostracize him in any way. We should applaud him coming forward, him intervening,” Brown said."

"In addition to publicly announcing the termination of bad cops and making the data on police shootings publicly available, Brown has implemented a policy of collecting and releasing data on all use-of-force incidents. Brown has also implemented a body camera policy that’s mostly consistent with the model policy recommended by the American Civil Liberties Union. He also regularly makes himself available to the media. In a 2014 op-ed shortly after Ferguson erupted, Brown stressed the importance of transparency, disclosure and honesty in the hours after a police shooting. In another interview, he stressed the importance of staying connected to and in touch with the community, even when tensions are high: “I would much rather have a couple of hundred folks shouting at me in a church than on a protest line after a police shooting because ‘I never talked to them,’ or ‘I never listened to them,’ ‘I never had a meeting with them.’” DPD has also emphasized and publicized the fact that citizens have a First Amendment right to record police officers (although the agency’s actual written policy could definitely be improved)."

And the fucked up thing? The BLM supporter chose the Dallas PD to target.