Thread: 24 Hours Review- Apple iMac, With a Glare at the iPad

Default 24 Hours Review- Apple iMac, With a Glare at the iPad

My four year old MacBook was becoming full of pictures and videos, primarily of my baby relatives. The HD was literally at the limit, plus the HD was getting a bit sluggish with age (despite a full wipe and re-install of the OS about a year ago). I'm getting a nice tax refund, so to I decided to splurge and replace it -- though I can't afford a laptop and still wanted an Apple, so I got the 21 inch iMac.

http://www.apple.com/imac/

24 hours in and it's simply stunning, just a great user experience and design all around. I was initially suspicious of the wireless keyboard and mouse, but it's proving to be really smooth and makes my desk feel less cluttered. The wireless, buttonless mouse can even detect whether I'm making a right click, left click or moving my finger to scroll.

The OS is fast, light and smooth. Plus the design of the thing (as an all-in-one dekstop unit) is superb. Maybe I've just been using laptops for the past seven years, but the large screen is brilliant and sharp. Overall, I highly suggest the iMac.

That said, I must add a note about Apple fanboys from my trip to the Apple store. They are absolutely ridiculous. People were streaming in pretty steadily to play with the iPad. Those who bought it were like crack addicts getting a fix -- literally they were taking their new iPads and running into the corner of the glass-and-wood store to unbox the thing like maniacs. If you want to steal an iPad, go to a NYC Apple Store and snatch one from someone walking out. They'll be too high to notice at first.

But I did try out the iPad for a bit. Overall, it's literally a giant iPod Touch with a nicer on screen keyboard. The browsing certainly looks good, but then again it looks better on my desktop where I can actually view videos with Flash. The thing is also heavy. I can easily see a bunch of techphiles and yuppies buying it out, thinking it will make their lives sleeker and more efficient (I can sit on the couch and read the news online, instead of my desk!). But really, don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    (I can sit on the couch and read the news online, instead of my desk!). But really, don't bother.
    I can (and do) already do that with the iPhone, so no reason again for me to get an iPad as well as the iPhone and a PC.

I just don't get the market for it. You need a PC to sync, its not a replacement for that, you need a phone anyway so why not have an iPhone or other smartphone? But I don't see the need for an iPad.

I get the idea that it's sorta tough to actually read with a smartphone. I'm sure as hell not going to sit on my couch and read a magazine on my phone...especially if it's sucking down some battery life.

If I were to get a digital reader, it would probably be something very simple like a B&N Nook or Amazon Kindle. I like the idea of a light, long-lasting one-purpose device.

What do you read with the iPhone besides news? Like actual books?

I read anything online with the iPhone. I've never read an e-book, but if I did I'd be happy doing so on the phone.

I just have trouble believing that it's truly as comfortable to read on a smaller screen like that. Even if the font is still the same, the motion of scrolling more often (as opposed to turning a page/flipping an ebook page less often) seems like it would make it tough to absorb what you're reading.

More importantly, would you buy a 21 inch iMac?

Actually with the really useful zoom feature etc on the iPhone, double click on the text and the text that's visible isn't just readable, because it strips out the rest of the website its quite a pleasure to read too. Not so much scrolling actually. Never tried an ebook, but most websites have a ton of wasted space anyway.

No, because I'm a PC.

I'm a mac. Been limping this thing twice as long (since lightning fried the ethernet port and some internal stuff), since replacing it costs twice as much as a pc. Wouldn't mind a netbook but mac decided to do the iPad instead.

I've never had a pc or a tower or any of that shit. Have had inclusive one piece units for years, and I love that. (Have a bit of OCD and cords tend to drive me nuts.) Went from the little iMac blueberry to a used G4 with wireless keyboard, going to 'move up' this summer. yay!

(ps Dread if you're getting a big tax refund, adjust your witholdings so you don't give the gummit a free loan with your munney.)

Did the mods just make another iPad thread?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

No, it's about the iMac. I appreciate the "review" because it's on my shopping list.

I haven't been to our closes mac store yet, it's across the river. But my ex has gone there several times, and says their geek squad is helpful. That I can make an appt, take in my old unit and they'll transfer files and set me up. Then I just bring it home and plug it in. Voila.

The OS is fast, light and smooth.
    You only say that because you've never used a truly great OS. Seriously, get yourself a nicely optimized and customized Gentoo build and everything else is total shit. You find yourself getting pissed off that it takes more than the blink of an eye to open up a new window or start an app... <sigh> Mac OS is just so... gross.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    No, it's about the iMac. I appreciate the "review" because it's on my shopping list.

I haven't been to our closes mac store yet, it's across the river. But my ex has gone there several times, and says their geek squad is helpful. That I can make an appt, take in my old unit and they'll transfer files and set me up. Then I just bring it home and plug it in. Voila.
    I dunno. There's an awful lot of iPad trashing up there.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Sure, and Apple fan boys. Whatever, computers are like cars. Some people love to work on their own and beef it up with all sorts of add-ons. Spend lots of time altering, fiddling, maintaining.

Some of us don't mind a car with a sealed engine, a driving machine like an Audi.

I don't know enough about computers to spend time fiddling, defraggin, all that shit. I don't want to, either. That's why there are IT people, and auto mechanics.

I've had to deal with the "Geek Squad" in the Apple store locally here, for warranty repairs to my iPhone. They're always very professional - I never expect that normally with any high street IT company.

I still can't imagine any reason I'd ever buy a Mac, but if you're thinking of dealing with them, I wouldn't worry about it.

Still love my PC that you guys helped me buy this summer. Smooth as a criminal. I see the allure behind Apple desktop computers, but I prefer my Vista Gateway and Samsung monitor for now.
    Oh, and congrats, Dread!

I'm a mac. Been limping this thing twice as long (since lightning fried the ethernet port and some internal stuff), since replacing it costs twice as much as a pc. Wouldn't mind a netbook but mac decided to do the iPad instead.

I've never had a pc or a tower or any of that shit. Have had inclusive one piece units for years, and I love that. (Have a bit of OCD and cords tend to drive me nuts.) Went from the little iMac blueberry to a used G4 with wireless keyboard, going to 'move up' this summer. yay!

(ps Dread if you're getting a big tax refund, adjust your witholdings so you don't give the gummit a free loan with your munney.)

If you can, I would suggest just getting a backup drive and manually switching/backing-up your files. You won't be paying for someone to do something fairly simple, and you'll get a file backup as well.

I've considered lowering my withholdings. But I feel the big "burst" of cash helps encourage me to save it...or at least spend it on something significant like a new computer or a custom suit, which I'll appreciate...instead of the usual liquor and pastrami that I spend my money on. Also unfortunately, my job switch changes my compensation schedule in a way that will artificially inflate my income this year. Which is part of the reason I'm maxing out my 401k.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    You only say that because you've never used a truly great OS. Seriously, get yourself a nicely optimized and customized Gentoo build and everything else is total shit. You find yourself getting pissed off that it takes more than the blink of an eye to open up a new window or start an app... <sigh> Mac OS is just so... gross.
    I tried Ubuntu and a few other Linux variants. They are solid...but configuring them just seems to be a bit harder. That said, if someone makes a bare-bones but well-supported OS like Chrome OS I would buy that. For the moment, this thing is smooth and nice. And this new version of the Mac OS is less fat-laden than the old one (supposedly).

Some of us don't mind a car with a sealed engine, a driving machine like an Audi.
    Did you just compare an Audi to a Mac? The Mac inside still mostly consists of the same Foxconn stuff a lot of cheap PCs have.

Quote Originally Posted by communist View Post
    Did you just compare an Audi to a Mac?
    No. I compared computers with cars. IT geeks with grease monkeys. User attitude. If you want to build your own computer piece by part and maintain it, go ahead. It's not something I care to do, any more than I want to change my car's oil or adjust gear box timing.

We used to have a Dell too (mostly for the kids' gaming) and it needed constant attention, like a car always in the shop with one problem after another. I've used exactly two computers since 1995, and both were macs. Pretty good track record. Macs are user-friendly and easy to operate, streamlined and intuitive. Can use them as simple tools or complicated machines.

I also don't plan to buy a new car every couple of years, but some people do. I was forced to sell my last car (Chevy) because of performance and quality issues, as soon as the warranty expired. I want a reliable car that I can run over 100,000 miles and keep going, without knowing a mechanic by his first name as a captive customer. Ditto for my computer.

I've got an iMac in the office, lovely piece of kit.

No. I compared computers with cars. IT geeks with grease monkeys. User attitude. If you want to build your own computer piece by part and maintain it, go ahead. It's not something I care to do, any more than I want to change my car's oil or adjust gear box timing.
    I don't want waste my time overclocking my CPU or fine-tuning the RAM-timings or whatever either

If I had a car I would still have to service it once every n kilometers or years..

Anyway my recent experience with a 27 (?) inch wasn't really good. I'm a Linux/Windows user so I'm open to different UIs. But there were a lot of little things that annoyed me. The magic mouse didn't do it either for me. Too flat. The keyboard? Missing (to me) important keys, PgUp/Down, Home/End etc., no num-block? It seemed a bit too much of style-over-substance.
    The extremely glossy screen is also a complete no-go. But what really struck me was that Apple is known as the company which puts a lot of effort in aesthetics / design, appearance etc. yet at one time the fans went on - and almost sounded like my vacuum cleaner. Seriously... not even my 'ancient' AMD X2 is that loud.

OSX is nice but the dock-menu, finder and the alwas top-menu are not my thing. Most of the software wastes a lot of screen-space due to this design.

Mac - certainly not for me

I've heard the 27 inch had some issues with screen quality, cooling and such.

I do see what you mean about the mouse. I'm still getting used to it, they should just make the thing have a steeper hump.

But you also could have asked for a free full-size keyboard with all the home/end/numpad buttons. I spent a solid five minutes trying to figure out if I needed those buttons for my home computer, or if I just wanted a smaller keyboard.

I like my flat mouse. People look at it like it's strange, if they're used to humps and right / left clickers. Macs use key commands more than dedicated keys. I've been using a universal wireless keyboard, and have forgotten most of the Apple commands that start with opt or alt.

I've heard the 27 inch had some issues with screen quality, cooling and such.

I do see what you mean about the mouse. I'm still getting used to it, they should just make the thing have a steeper hump.

But you also could have asked for a free full-size keyboard with all the home/end/numpad buttons. I spent a solid five minutes trying to figure out if I needed those buttons for my home computer, or if I just wanted a smaller keyboard.
    Anyone who does spreadsheets would miss a numpad surely? Eeew.

Of course you need one. How the hell would you play roguelikes without a numpad?

That's why it's an option. I don't do a ton of spreadsheets at home besides my personal budgeting. I honestly preferred the less-filled desk. Plus I've been on a laptop for a few years and haven't needed the numpad (though of course I have one at work).